Bushmaster Service Rifle Re-barrel

It's come time to re-barrel my service rifle. It's based on Bushmaster upper and lower and has a Bushmaster free-float tube (#F1000535). My question is, is the float tube and barrel nut one piece that come off together or does the tube screw off first and than the barrel nut last? Looking at it, I'm just not sure. Tried spinning the tube with a strap wrench but it didn't budge. For once, I'm trying to be patient.

I guess I'll have to heat it a little more than I did. When it didn't budge, I began to wonder if I was missing something. The strap slips and looks like it's starting to weaken. I suppose that using a pipe wrench will ruin it!

I took the barrel nut off and the whole thing came apart. Don't really see why I should look further into getting everything apart. Yes, the front sight and the tube was already off. Now I just gotta decide if I want to put a Rock River Wilson barrel or White Oak Kreiger barrel on. If only I didn't wait too long to do this.

I took the barrel nut off and the whole thing came apart. Don't really see why I should look further into getting everything apart. Yes, the front sight and the tube was already off. Now I just gotta decide if I want to put a Rock River Wilson barrel or White Oak Kreiger barrel on. If only I didn't wait too long to do this.

I would definitely go with White Oak. They do offer Wilson barrels if you don't want to spend Krieger money.

The Krieger is a barrel I've been hoarding for about 7 years. Bought three of them when I was shooting HP and Long Range with them. It's a 6.5 twist and spins everything up to 90's very well. Don't think White Oak even does 6.5's anymore. The only reason I may not use it is that it is milled for their adjustable sight base and it doesn't line up with my front sight base so I'll have to do further milling. Not that that's a problem but time is. Not sure I'll want to stay to do my stuff after working 12 hours but I know I should just suck it up. If White Oak tells me that they haven't changed dims on the flats and they can ship out one of their windage adjustable front bases in the morning, I'll probably use it.

Don't think White Oak even does 6.5's anymore.

They do, but you have to ask for them. I know because that's what I use. I highly doubt that they've changed the specs on the bases.

Didn't think they did Kreigers anymore as I haven't seen them on the website. Not really a concern as my eyes are going to crap out before I wear out the two barrels I have. I'll even make sure I switch the new barrel out before the round count goes north of 6k like the barrel I am changing, many of them 80's and 90's. Really did not notice anything wrong when shooting 200 yards locally. Probably will find out that I won't be able to see the difference at 600! Should have kept shooting when my eyes were still good.

Decided to install a new White Oak float tube and front sight base. I ordered them on Monday and they arrived on Thursday. The rifle was put together last night and I shot it at a local Garand match today. First shot went left between the target frames. Twelve shots later, I was at my no wind zero. The match director told me that I could have as long as I needed but there was one shooter still shooting after I finished. We ground up a .032 front sight which I'm not sure is wide enough for my eyes to pick up in rapid fire. Thinking of going up to .040 if I can get to the range before next weekends match.

Decided to install a new White Oak float tube and front sight base. I ordered them on Monday and they arrived on Thursday. The rifle was put together last night and I shot it at a local Garand match today. First shot went left between the target frames. Twelve shots later, I was at my no wind zero. The match director told me that I could have as long as I needed but there was one shooter still shooting after I finished. We ground up a .032 front sight which I'm not sure is wide enough for my eyes to pick up in rapid fire. Thinking of going up to .040 if I can get to the range before next weekends match.

.032 is insanely narrow. Most guys that I know use a .072. The narrowest "common" one is .052.

Back
Top Bottom