• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bushmaster AR 15's in CT.

Can you own a Bushmaster AR 15 in CT??? I thought it was only Colt AR's that were banned, but the list also says "bushmaster auto rifles and auto pistols!

Yeas you can own Bushmaster AR15s in CT. Bushmaster was around before the ban as well. So you can own preban Bushmasters with all the "evil features" in tact or ban compliant ones.

As long as they were either pre-ban, or are neutered (no bayonet lug or folding/collapsing stocks, and have either no flash hider or a permanently pinned one).

Do you mean permanently pinned muzzle brake (for the neutered postban rifle)?
I understood that a preban rifle could have a flash-hider that could be removed/interchanged.
The postbans can have nothing or brake/compensator (No Flash-hider), but no possibility for interchange (i.e. pinned).

Correct , Joker. Post ban = no threads, flash hider, grenade launcher,...did I forget anything? A comp or faux flash suppressor must be permanently attached. Also, the Bushmaster auto rifle is not an AR15. It is a different gun entirely. And it is ugly and unreliable. Which probably is why it is banned in the first place.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher;

Unless your rifle is an auto, or it has multiple evil features and is post ban, you're fine.

Yeas you can own Bushmaster AR15s in CT. Bushmaster was around before the ban as well. So you can own preban Bushmasters with all the "evil features" in tact or ban compliant ones.

the whole ar deal in ct confuses the shit outta me.now post or pre ban is a permit required or just business as usual for rifles?now with a post,correct me if i'm wrong,the 2 evils cant be present?
i hate ct law well because its a python-esque appearance to me.constrict the hell outta anyone who wants a quality military grade small arm.i thought unless you owned you any brand ar prior to 94 & registered it every year it was only legal option.i'd love a bushmaster or any ar base but i love having no criminal record much more.
from the list of bans i see most of the boomsticks i want,i'm sure i dont need to say this as its probably on every gun lovers mind but the whole banned because of name/look is utterly retarded.apparently i was born in the wrong century.

the whole ar deal in ct confuses the shit outta me.now post or pre ban is a permit required or just business as usual for rifles?now with a post,correct me if i'm wrong,the 2 evils cant be present?
i hate ct law well because its a python-esque appearance to me.constrict the hell outta anyone who wants a quality military grade small arm.i thought unless you owned you any brand ar prior to 94 & registered it every year it was only legal option.i'd love a bushmaster or any ar base but i love having no criminal record much more.
from the list of bans i see most of the boomsticks i want,i'm sure i dont need to say this as its probably on every gun lovers mind but the whole banned because of name/look is utterly retarded.apparently i was born in the wrong century.

You can buy almost any AR15 you want provided the following

1) It is not a "Colt AR15" or "Colt Sporter." Those two models are specifically banned by name. Doesn't matter if they are preban or postban
2) If it is manufactured after 9.13.94 it has to be AWB compliant. Meaning it can only have (1) "evil feature." In the case of the AR15 that feature is the pistol grip. Detachable magazines do not count as a feature. They are a qualifier.
3) If it was manufactured before 9.13.94 (preban) you can have all the features you want.

There are no special permits required for this. They are long guns just like any other.

The best bet to get a quality rifle with proper features is to buy a stripped preban lower, like a PWA, and get a high quality upper group and lower parts for it. You can essentially build a Colt or BCM rifle around a stripped lower. The only thing that will be missing is the rollmark.

i have been following this issue for some time and i have heard a lot of optimistic statements like CTbuilder1's. however, i have never been able to find any place official that backs this up. as much as i would like to believe it, simply so i can build a pre-ban, i'm paranoid because CT is so unfriendly towards shooters.

Sec. 53-202d. makes me think buying a pre-ban won't work.

i have been following this issue for some time and i have heard a lot of optimistic statements like CTbuilder1's. however, i have never been able to find any place official that backs this up. as much as i would like to believe it, simply so i can build a pre-ban, i'm paranoid because CT is so unfriendly towards shooters.

Sec. 53-202d. makes me think buying a pre-ban won't work.

It's not even a question at this point. What I posted is the correct answer. Not even a shade of grey area.

53-202d only has to do with weapons banned by name.

53-202m is the statute that backs up my statement.

Any pre 9.13.94 weapon that is not banned by name is excempt from the AWB.

53-202d only has to do with weapons banned by name.

53-202m is the statute that backs up my statement.

Any pre 9.13.94 weapon that is not banned by name is excempt from the AWB.

i really want this to be the case, however, this section makes me nervous...

Sec. 53-202d.

(b) No assault weapon possessed pursuant to this section may be sold or transferred on or after January 1, 1994, to any person within this state other than to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subsection (d) of section 53-202f, or as provided in section 53-202e, or by bequest or intestate succession. Any person who obtains title to an assault weapon for which a certificate of possession has been issued under this section by bequest or intestate succession shall, within ninety days of obtaining title, apply to the Department of Public Safety for a certificate of possession as provided in subsection (a) of this section, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer or remove the weapon from the state. Any person who moves into the state in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall, within ninety days, either render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer or remove the weapon from this state, except any person who is a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States, is in lawful possession of an assault weapon and has been transferred into the state after October 1, 1994, may, within ninety days of arriving in the state, apply to the Department of Public Safety for a certificate of possession with respect to such assault weapon.

obviously, there is no statute for buying a pre-ban assault rifle. i'm also assuming there is no precedent or common law for it. i hope i'm wrong, and if so, please show me.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

This law points out the weapons that are excempt from being registered or restricted from transefer.

Notice what subdivisons/subsections it points out. It specifically mentions the weapons that are banned by feature count and not those banned by name.

Therefore by reading this section one can see that any weapon that was manufactured before 9.13.94 and not banned by name is excempt from the AWB. Meaning they can be transfered and do not require registration.

There is nothing to be nervous about at all because I am telling you this for a fact.

CTbuilder is 100% correct.

In CT, a pre-ban non-Colt lower receiver can be legally built up with all the evil features.

Thats why the stripped lower receiver is worth $600 these days.

Don in CT

i've heard a lot of emphatic cries of 'it's legal,' but just as many from the other side, as well. i was looking for something empiric, which CTbuilder provided. your reading of the statute is dead on, and this is according to the CT state police. if anyone else is questioning a stranger on the internet (as you should), call the state police and ask for firearms registration.

There are idiots at gunshops, and then there are guys you trust completely.

"Big" Gary at Newington Gun Exchange falls into the later category. Several years ago I was bitching about how
I couldn't get any non-neutered gun. He handed explained to me the whole Pre-ban non Colt because it was not named scenario.

I trusted Gary. Now I have more knowledge, I've spent a lot of time looking at the statute. I've read some of the court cases as well as the State police letters. I know they are legal now, based on my own knowledge.

But back then, "Big" Gary's word was enough. He is a good guy and is very knowledgeable.

Don

In the case of the AR15 that feature is the pistol grip.

There is another option available now for those who wish to build an AR-15 with a different evil feature...

IMG_7138_CR.JPG

Last edited:
There is another option available now for those who wish to build an AR-15 with a different evil feature...

IMG_7138_CR.JPG

For CT that really doesn't make too much sense. I can see for CA.

The other features it would unlock would either be a collapsible stock, flash hider or bayonet lug.

Would anyone trade a istol grip for a bayonet lug? I would sure hope not. It would possibly be the dumbest thing ever.

Would they trade it for a collapsible stock? Maybe, but it wouldn't make any sense. The grip angle would make a compact stock VERY akward.

Would they trade it for a flash hider/threaded barrel? Possibly. If someone just wanted to run a supressor they could use this as an option.

But overall the pistol grip is the most important "evil feature" of this particular firearm. Without it you are greatly reducing capability. From a bench it really wouln't matter but from a practical shooting standpoint it would severly affect "running the gun."

Here is the way I look at it.

Collapsible stocks and bayonet lugs are valueless to me.

So its all about the threaded barrel so I can use my suppressors.
If you aren't going to use a suppressor, just buy a pre-ban upper, remove the bayonet lug and have a brake SILVER SOLDERED onto the threaded bbl.
Then put on a nifty VLTOR non-colapsible rifle modstock on your post ban lower.
rifle.jpg

In my world of ARs. If the gun isn't going to be used with a suppressor, it gets put on a post ban lower and gets the brake of my choice silver soldered onto it. Remember, silver soldering meets the legal requirement AND is removable without destroying the bbl or the brake.

Some brakes even look cool. Like the PWS.
FSC556_M_1.jpg

Frankly, if you are going to be spending $800 for a suppressor, $200 for the stamp, whats another $350 extra for a pre-ban lower.

Remember, you can build all the collapsible stocked, bayonet lugged, flash suppressed ARs you want in CT. You just have to write a check for about $500 for a pre-ban lower. Very simple.

Last edited:
A preban AR15 is any AR15 that was manufactured before 9.13.94. This applies to the lower reciever which is the serialized part. If you have a preban firearm it is excempt from the AWB in CT.

As far as the Sendra goes - how much do they want for it?

+1 on CTbuilder's comments.

One thing I would like to add is that you should be able to validate that based on the serial number the receiver was made before 13 Sept 94.
I own 3 pre-ban receivers and was able to get emails from all 3 manufacturers confirming the dates of mfg of all 3 receivers.

One thing also to be aware of. The expired Federal AWB and some other state laws required that the receiver be built into a full firearm by the ban date to be considered pre-ban.
THIS IS NOT THE CASE IN CT. As long as the receiver was made before the ban date you are ok.

Don

A preban AR15 is any AR15 that was manufactured before 9.13.94. This applies to the lower reciever which is the serialized part. If you have a preban firearm it is excempt from the AWB in CT.

As far as the Sendra goes - how much do they want for it?

They want $1500.00 for it. It has a 16" barrel and is great shape.

that seems high. what kind of upper? brand? rail? free float tube?

Is the Sendra lower forged or cast?? The truth of the matter is that it really doesn't matter functionally. An AR lower doesn't experience much stress anyway. But forged lowers are worth more than cast lowers.

If you figure $500 for a lower, $150 for a lower parts kit and stock, $550 for a quality, but basic, upper. You are looking at $1200.
I don't kow if the sendra is a quality component. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

Theres no rush. Keep your eyes posted on both te old and new AR15 equipment exchange sites as well as Sturmgeweher.

Don

Last edited:
He's looking for a pre-ban GUN. As in legal in CT with a threaded bbl, bayo lug, and collapsible stock. The receiver needs to be non-colt and made before the ban date in 94.

He's not looking for pre-ban mags. Pre-ban mags are WORTHLESS in CT, since we can legally buy new hi-cap now. I suggest you do someone in MA or NY a favor and sell them the pre-ban mags, then pick up some new ones for yourself. Thats what I did. I sold over 40 pre-ban AR mags and 20 pre-ban Glock mags to people in MA, then replaced them with spanking new ones. I even made a few bucks in the process.

Back
Top Bottom