Burris Scope

I'm looking to get a Burris XTR II 5-25x50 scope for a Ruger Precision rifle in .308. Most of the scopes I have had over the years have been Leupold, except for the very good SWFA "Supersniper" I had on an AR years ago. The Burris gets good ratings and seems to meet everything I'm looking for but I have reservations about dropping over a $1k for a scope made in the Philippines. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other model Burris? How about any reasonably priced alternatives for the Ruger? Last question, MIL or MOA? Thanks for helping me out with this, NES!

Chris

Mil or MOA is a bit of what are you used to.
Also keep in mind mil and moa are usually "correct" on a certain magnification or highest magnification. Unless it's FFP???
Philippines has some very good production and I'm not sure but I think Burris uses Japanese glass which for the most part is good.
I have only put my eye through a basic burris 2-7 scope fullfield? I thought it was decent ( I spent most of last year nagging shooters at the range about their scopes and was able to try many and many above and beyond my wallet could bare) Now what turned me off with most scopes is how busy the reticles are...

I like MOA because my brain was trained on inches and yards ...

Resurrecting this post as I'm in the same predicament. I have a Gen II Ruger Precision Rifle and I've narrowed my search down to the Vortex Viper PST Gen II in 5-25x50 FFP with EBR-2C MRAD reticle or the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 FFP with the SCR Mil reticle. Any throughts? To the OP, what did you decide upon?

If you have a Mil Dot reticule, get mil turrets. While 100 yards doesn't matter much, as you get beyond the correlation does not jive. Meaning that if you look through your scope and see that your 1 mill off, you make a 1 mill adjustment on the turret. Also all modern software is now mill from the mill dot master to all apps.

I'm going to throw this out there, have you considered the Sig Tango4 6-24?

Resurrecting this post as I'm in the same predicament. I have a Gen II Ruger Precision Rifle and I've narrowed my search down to the Vortex Viper PST Gen II in 5-25x50 FFP with EBR-2C MRAD reticle or the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 FFP with the SCR Mil reticle. Any throughts? To the OP, what did you decide upon?

The reviews I have read rate the turrets and mechanical aspects of the scope very high but the glass has issues above minimum magnification. In that price range there are better scopes.

As for the SIG, it has a horrible reticle and very little adjustment.

Scopes I have and would look at:

IOR 6-24x56 FFP
SWFA 5-20x50
Vortex HD (couple options depending on price)

The reviews I have read rate the turrets and mechanical aspects of the scope very high but the glass has issues above minimum magnification. In that price range there are better scopes.

IOR 6-24x56 FFP
SWFA 5-20x50

That is interesting. I recently shot through a Tango4 and thought that the glass was very clear at max zoom as well as the adjustments. What reticle are you referencing?

That is interesting. I recently shot through a Tango4 and thought that the glass was very clear at max zoom as well as the adjustments. What reticle are you referencing?

Adjustment is 19 MIL total elevation. That is less than 10 MIL up elevation, necessitating at least a 20 MOA base to reach 1,000 (11.1 MIL).

Not a fan of this reticle:
l_mrad_moa.jpg

I mean, this is my $0.02

Have you seen the Tango 6 5-30x56? That seems to be a much better scope.

Adjustment is 19 MIL total elevation. That is less than 10 MIL up elevation, necessitating at least a 20 MOA base to reach 1,000 (11.1 MIL).

Not a fan of this reticle:
l_mrad_moa.jpg

I mean, this is my $0.02

Have you seen the Tango 6 5-30x56? That seems to be a much better scope.

That reticle does not seem to be as bad or "busy" as some others. Then again this is all depending on how FAT the reticle looks through scope.
I have some inexpensive mil dot scopes where the dots cover close to a mil themselves and the spacing between the dots is muddy because of that..

I had a Burris XTR 2 2-10. I chose it over the Vortex and the Leupold after using all three... if I were to do it again I would go Steiner (same Ownership group)

IOR 6-24x56 FFP
SWFA 5-20x50

I can't find this scope---IOR 6-24x56 FFP, any cheaper than 2K? I thought we were talking 1K range?

$1-2k. OP just said he had "reservations about dropping more than $1k on a scope made in the Philippines".

Back
Top Bottom