Bumping Ads in the Classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be the one with his panties in a bunch. Have you had a problem in the classifieds? If so, work on your reading comprehension, don't lash out at someone that's trying to help out here. Got that tough guy?

Also, what makes you think that posting "PM sent" holds you a place in line anyway?

First off putting PM sent does help if the seller has multiple people interested in an item and wants to be fair to sell it to the first person who will take it. Some people are fair about things and some don't give a shit.

Second maybe some mods who are just deleting ads without using a bit of common sense should brush up on their reading comprehension. I had a mod pull a WTB ad in the Yard Sale section for an item I specifically put I don't care about the location in the ad because I was willing to travel anywhere in NE for it. They then said it was pulled because I did not put my location. If they can't f'n read there was specific notations regarding location in the ad then I don't want to hear shit about it. And don't try to bully me...I could care less who you think you are. You want to make a point then do it.

There is very good reasoning for posting a pm sent or I will take it in the ad but hey do something about it like others have said if you do not want anything posted in the ad. Have ads only allowed to have one post and all else will be deleted. At least that will be fair and not enforced randomly (or not enforced) by some mods and not others depending on how they feel that particular day.

*edit- OK I do see that your first post was more of an asking plea (with a please in it) than a bitch session. It would be nice if ALL ads were moderated the same though.

Last edited:
If I'm selling to someone based on who first sent me a PM I'm doing it based on the date and time on the actual PM (i.e. when the PM was actually sent) not when they posted they were going to send it.

As a seller, "PM Sent" is my biggest pet peeve. It means nothing, and certainly doesn't hold any place in line. "I'll take it" is the magic phrase, and the first guy to say that wins. Doesn't matter if someone says "PM sent," or "e-mail sent with questions," etc. It's simply clutter in the thread.

First off putting PM sent does help if the seller has multiple people interested in an item and wants to be fair to sell it to the first person who will take it. Some people are fair about things and some don't give a shit.

Second maybe some mods who are just deleting ads without using a bit of common sense should brush up on their reading comprehension. I had a mod pull a WTB ad in the Yard Sale section for an item I specifically put I don't care about the location in the ad because I was willing to travel anywhere in NE for it. They then said it was pulled because I did not put my location. If they can't f'n read there was specific notations regarding location in the ad then I don't want to hear shit about it. And don't try to bully me...I could care less who you think you are. You want to make a point then do it.

There is very good reasoning for posting a pm sent or I will take it in the ad but hey do something about it like others have said if you do not want anything posted in the ad. Have ads only allowed to have one post and all else will be deleted. At least that will be fair and not enforced randomly (or not enforced) by some mods and not others depending on how they feel that particular day.

*edit- OK I do see that your first post was more of an asking plea (with a please in it) than a bitch session. It would be nice if ALL ads were moderated the same though.

So you did have a problem with a mod because of a classified. It's got zero to do with the OP or bumping ads. The purpose of this thread was to clarify the bump rules. For some reason, there's been an uptick in people bumping other peoples' ads. I don't know why - maybe someone sees one person do it (before a mod can delete it) and thinks it's OK, then other people do it. This thread was intended to serve as a friendly reminder not to do that. If you have a problem with how you were treated by a mod, you should take it up with the 'nazi' that you think unfairly deleted your ad. You may be right, and he may be wrong. Hell, it might be me, but I don't remember it. If it was, and happened as you describe, I apologize for deleting it.

As far as unfair enforcement or non-enforcement goes, we only fix what we see and we're human, so we make mistakes. We're not going to start a policy of deleting everything but the OP either. The idea here is to make less work for the mods, not more. If the users of the classifieds took a few seconds to read the rules, everything would go smoother. The purpose of this thread was to remind people of something that might not be obvious, and that's been happening lately.

The "PM sent" thing is not against the rules, I just personally just think it's stupid. A seller is going to sell to whoever he/she wants. It's not a matter of 'fairness' in that it's only fair to sell to the first person that expressed an interest. There's more that goes into it than that.

Let's say you're selling an item and three people post "PM sent" in the thread. You go to look at your inbox and see the three PMs.

The first (earliest one) is from someone with bad iTrader feedback, who tells you that he doesn't have a car, is only available to meet between 5:00 and 6:00 on weekdays, and he's located on the other side of Boston from you. (I got one just like this once).

The second one is from someone you know only from his posts but you think he's a prick because he called you a nazi, and he's maybe a little bit retarded.

The third one is from a guy you shoot with on weekends and says he'll swing by with cash whenever it's convenient for you.

Are you going to sell it to PMer #1 because that's 'fair', or are you going to skip to number three?

Also, I apologize that you felt bullied. That wasn't my intent.

As a seller i specifically ask not to post anything because people start making assumptions that the person who posted "PM sent" is taking it which MIGHT not be the case. I say let the seller do the work picking and choosing who to sell to with PM's and e-mails. Lately i have noticed people posting how sweet a gun is and the price it muckles up the add and makes more work for the mods.

I think only green members should be allowed to post in the classified section.
I think this idea has a lot of merit. If you don't care enough about the baord to join, why should you benefit from the board by freely listing your item for sale?

Sorry, that was drifting off the original topic of bumps.

^^ while I appreciate the 'green' aspect, having only green members sell things would surely cut down on variety and quantity of things to buy.

nobody likes that I don't think.
:)

Personally I love the classifieds.
I don't mind the 7 day wait. it gives everyone a chance. I use them all the time.
It beats the charges on gun broker or other sites.
We should thank all involved for this free service. It takes a lot of time I'm sure to police the site for misuse.
Thanks, Mike

If I am interested in an item I don't post a thing, let it slide right off page one and disappear. Send a pm to the seller and deal with him in private. Not my site I don't make the rules, if I don't like them I won't come back. A simple system that works well, make work for others thinking you have it all figured out then deal with EC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom