• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullpups.. Remington vs. Kel Tec KSG

Ok so I'm looking for first hand experience with bullpup kits.. those who have converted Remington 870's specifically. Have you lost functionality, versatility, or reliability of the standard shotgun configuration? What have you found to be the pro's/con's to the conversion?

Last edited:
i think its more for kicks than practicality. sorry no first hand experience but i know that some youtube ninjas had some reliability issues. i hope someone with real world experience can jump in as well

^^this is probably the mostthorough review on a bullpup 870 i have seen.

homestly if you want a bullpup pump shottie get the keltecKSG. they can be had for $900 or less nowadays. Its a fine little shotgun. Most of the haters just dislike keltec no matter what the product is. Im not a big keltec fan but the KSG gets the job done....just spend ample time learning the manual of arms cuz it would be an easy gun to screw up in the heat of the moment.

I know Mossberg made some 500/590 model bullpups. Ugly and stars of a few 80's/90's movies but they're still out there for between $400 and $500.

assorted%20rifles%20038.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

I've looked on a few of the more popular shop websites and not seen these listed.. if anyone has links of shops known to carry them please feel free to post them. I would like to see/hold one in person

I've looked on a few of the more popular shop websites and not seen these listed.. if anyone has links of shops known to carry them please feel free to post them. I would like to see/hold one in person

All LGS might not have one in stock but they can order one for you. Why not just pick up the phone and call or visit your LGS in person? I'll let you play with mine if you want to try it out.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

All LGS might not have one in stock but they can order one for you. Why not just pick up the phone and call or visit your LGS in person? I'll let you play with mine if you want to try it out.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

How do you like it? pro's/con's? would you consider it versatile?

Last edited:
i agree w china.
just look around you will find a KSG.
prices are quite wide range though. some places still want like $1100 which is waaaay overpriced.
you should be able to find one for around $900. that is what i paid for a new one ~6 months ago.
you can also find one on GB and have it sent to your FFL assuming they're cool with transferring it.

IMO i would avoid any used old KSG. kel-tec re-vamped the fore-end/action system to improve cycling of the gun. mine has worked flawlessly (as long as the user pumps it correctly and not like an wimp).

i highly recommend using a vertical grip or something up front that provides better grab on the forend. personally i think the gun in stock form is actually unsafe because the user's left hand could quite easily slip in front of the muzzle while racking the forend. i installed a magpul VG and never looked back....works great.

FYI i found my KSG through stoney acre sports in Sutton MA. the owner and his wife were very friendly. i would gladly give them my $$ again.
http://stoneyacressports.com/

Last edited:
Definately think this is the direction I'm going in because I won't be doing any hunting.. more just fun shooting and another home defense option... now to find the best possible price I can since they are dropping.

Keep in mind KSG has no sights, so factor that into your plans. Flip up sights or a red dot are perfect. I run a Bushnell TRS-25 on mine w magpul BUIS and they work great together.

also a pachmayr decelerator pad is very helpful to both soften recoil and extend the length of pull (the KSG LOP is kinda short IMO).

just my 2c.

Keep in mind KSG has no sights, so factor that into your plans. Flip up sights or a red dot are perfect. I run a Bushnell TRS-25 on mine w magpul BUIS and they work great together.

also a pachmayr decelerator pad is very helpful to both soften recoil and extend the length of pull (the KSG LOP is kinda short IMO).

just my 2c.

Yes I've been looking at all the "add on's" I'll need to make the BP fully functional for my intended uses.. will definately run the bottom line up a good $400+more so I will be looking for a great deal on this

The problem with bullpup shotguns is forget about reloading. The KSG and UTS bullpups take some skill and training to be proficient at reloading quickly. The 870 conversion is an ordeal to clean.

Two thiings I hate about a bullpup design are I don't like the breech so close to my face,and I am left handed so the ejection is right in your face.

Two thiings I hate about a bullpup design are I don't like the breech so close to my face,and I am left handed so the ejection is right in your face.

The ejection for the ksg is straight down. Might hit the dick [wink].

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

The problem with bullpup shotguns is forget about reloading. The KSG and UTS bullpups take some skill and training to be proficient at reloading quickly. The 870 conversion is an ordeal to clean.

This is true, though homestly even a standard pump can be tricky to reload. I was taught to reload a pump gun from underneath to keep my strong hand in firing position, meaning not to flip the gun over. As you state, this is extra tricky w a bullpup and I end up having to flip the KSG on its back to reload.

my personal issue w the bullpup is less about reloading the tube, more that its impossible to load directly to the chamber. The best feature of an 870/500 pump style is that in a pinch the user can toss a round straight in the tube and boom. With the KSG or bullpup its not nearly as quick.

on the flipside, the KSG holds 14+1 so if youre reloading then WTF is going on? Perhaps a belt-fed would be more appropriate.

my other concern w bullpups is that they feed and eject from the same port similar to an old ithica shotgun. My KSG has been flawless for me, but I have seen 2 other users short shuck the action and generate a failure to feed. In one instance it actually jammed and took me ~2 min to get the sideways round into the chamber. Although the KSG has worked fine for me, I still trust my 500 pump gun more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom