• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullets really do "whiz by your head"

Did you call the cops, the fbi, the nsa, the TSA?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be incredibly happy about being in that situation.

Sorry bro. I was trying out my slide-fire stock for the first time evar at a NES shoot while letting my retarded friend finger **** one of my AKs who is half blind.

Shit happens.

People that can't hit the berm should be punished. It's one thing if a kids misses the berm and with a parent nearby, they get a reprimand. But if you dump a mag over the berm, someone needs a beat down.

When I was a kid, I used to shoot with my dad in a sand pit that belong to a concrete company along the Housatonic River in Milford CT. It was a big berm, we would regularly shoot M60's and M16's full auto. I was 12 and never missed the goddamn berm. WITH AN M60! Some asshat cop shows up one day a missed the berm with a 9mm. Puts a hole in a person's car door on the other side of the river.

No one was every allowed to shoot on the property again. As$holes.

So what happened to the guy who crapped his pants and went into the fetal position?

After I determined he was physically ok. My priority was get my family out not him. I know I'm a prick for thinking like that but he had someone with him, My son didn't at the time

Has anyone worked the pits at a high power match. Its really freaky. The bullets are impacting a target 6 ft over your head, you can hear the sonic crack and see the impact. But, strangely, you are safe.

After I determined he was physically ok. My priority was get my family out not him. I know I'm a prick for thinking like that but he had someone with him, My son didn't at the time

If he wasn't physically injured by a bullet impact, there was nothing for you to do. Priority is always your immediate family. Not a prick in my book.

Yea I was hunting last year on my gun clubs property early on a weekday. I got mixed up somehow and ended up behind the berm, well someone decided to so some range shooting and couldn't shoot worth a damn. Pretty scary stuff.

Totally my fault for being an idiot and being in the wrong place.

Closest I ever got was a bumble bee on steroids do a fly by of my waist area about 2 feet in front of me. It only missed by a few inches.

Has anyone worked the pits at a high power match. Its really freaky. The bullets are impacting a target 6 ft over your head, you can hear the sonic crack and see the impact. But, strangely, you are safe.

I was going to write just that. I love that sound. Nothing in the world like it and it is incredibly hard to describe well enough for someone to understand unless they have heard it themselves.

Had something similar happen while I was camping in AK, except the guys were shooting at spawning salmon. I was surprised that rounds passing overhead actually sound like they do in the movies.

If you can't manage to stay below the top of a 30' berm , you need a time out and some learning before you shoot again. IMHO

"There's nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at and missed."

I want to get mine to sound like Lee Van Cleef's in For A Few Dollars More

I worked the pits when I was in the service at the 200 yd. line.

We did an appleseed shoot at Harvard in Sept. We were warned not to climb the berm. Because the berm behind us was for a 200 yard (i believe) range and the upper portion of our backstop, a large hill, caught all the stuff that went over the 200 yard berm.

This was all as designed, and perfectly safe as long as nobody climbed the backstop. (there were also signs warning you to not to go up the backstop)

Last edited:
I was going to write just that. I love that sound. Nothing in the world like it and it is incredibly hard to describe well enough for someone to understand unless they have heard it themselves.

Reminds me of this quote:

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." - Winston Churchill

Back
Top Bottom