• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullets found in Duxbury Middle School

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO124830/

DUXBURY, Mass. -- Bullets were found in the hallway at Duxbury Middle School Friday afternoon.

A live and empty round of ammunition was reportedly found by a student and staff member.

The school was placed on lockdown as police did a sweep of the building.

Every student and staff member was also individually searched.

Officials said they are still not sure about the source of the bullets.

(Copyright (c) 2009 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

http://www.959watd.com/news.php?Duxbury-Middle-School-locked-down-Friday-afternoon-1806
Duxbury: Middle School locked-down Friday afternoon

The Duxbury Middle School was put into lock-down after a .22 caliber bullet was found by a student at the school at 71 Alden Street.

The student alerted a teacher, and the police were notified.

Police searched the school, no handgun was found.

Police Chief Mark Deluca says they have no reason to believe that a weapon was in the school, and as a precaution, they have secured students in classrooms while a search is being conducted.

Due to the on-going search, police say students were dismissed a little later than the scheduled 2:30 dismissal time.

They search every kid now when a bullet is found? Do HS have rifle teams anymore? Nuts.
Drop a bullet in school disrupt the whole day- could be more effective than the classic pulling fire alarms or calling in bomb threats. I suppose kids doing the latter really excite people these days.

Kids have learned what to do if they want a day off. Or, someone else tracked it in in the sole of their shoe.

Kids have learned what to do if they want a day off. Or, someone else tracked it in in the sole of their shoe.

I agree, when I was a kid somebody told this one kid to pull the school fire alarm -- he did, fool, and we got a little break from class. I bet this is some kids looking for some time off..... of course this kid was always up to something and the school administrators went looking for him. As we were standing outside we saw him being led away by the PD.... what a fool that kid was.

Of a teacher dropped on it purpose because he thought one of the kids had "something" and he wanted an "politically correct" excuse to search.

Thank God everyone is safe!! It sounds like a massacre was narrowly avoided! [thinking]

ETA: it's official, we HAVE become England

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1013959.print/

LIVE ammunition has been found lying in the doorway of a busy high street shop.

The .22 calibre short round bullet was found at the entrance of the 99p Stores in Walthamstow High Street on Wednesday morning, November 1.

Haroon Khan, who has a firearms licence and is a member of a local gun club, was alarmed to discover live ammunition in a Walthamstow doorway.

The bullet, of Swiss origin, was still in its brass casing, complete with enough gunpowder for it to fire itself.

Mr Khan said that if it had been struck hard enough or exposed to heat it could have gone off.

"This sort of thing should not be lying around. It was live, primed and active," he said. "But rather me pick it up than a little kid.

"How can you feel safe when you are finding things like this on the street?"

Last edited:
We use to shoot at a range at Island Trees high school in NY, it was in the basement. I brought my .22 to school and put it in my locker many times. We would go shooting afterwards

When I was a kid and in the cub scouts, my father and I built a pinewood derby car together.

We soon found out that the car was underweight.

What does my Father do? He drilled two holes in the back of the car and farbricated custom dual exhaust ports made out of live rifle cartridges. (I cannot remember what caliber unfortuantely).

No one said a word.

I even brought the car to show and tell in school without a even a mention........

This world has changed dramatically for the worse in the last ~25 years since I was a cub scout.

I use to bring in casings for show and tell[rolleyes]

I had a second grader bring in a .223 round to show me. I told him it was very interesting, and we talked a bit about shooting. Turns out he comes from a shooting family with with some in the military.

I forget now if I pocketed the round or gave it back to him with an admonition to keep it in his pocket until he got home.

The world has changed...

Columbine and later Va Tech have forever changed our schools.

The Duxbury school and police officials actions can be considered 'standard operating procedure' when presented with that situation. Lockdown drills are as much of a part of school culture as 'evacuation' drills.

BTW school officials have a much lower threshold to search (leagally -'TLO-vs- NJ') than police, school officials have a 'reasonable suspicion'threshold not probable cause.

idiots

research Mass schools rifle clubs.they were all over before WW2 and the schools suppied the rifles and ammo,and ranges.my school was in the top range of shooters either 1/2/3,varied from yr to yr.now the school never heard of the rifle club.shows what stupid ignorant administrators and teachers there are now.I left mass for two reasons could not stand the laws
and got the oportunity to by 90 acres here.my septic cost $1000 and it is as good as any in mass.and I shoot and hunt on my own land.The sheriff tells you take care of your self.he cant.4 officers and a county.and yet I am 3 miles from town and walmart super.no FID and you dont need a permit to own.[laugh][rolleyes]

The bullet, of Swiss origin, was still in its brass casing, complete with enough gunpowder for it to fire itself.

Sometimes after a long day at work, my dinner is kind enough to cook itself.

The Duxbury school and police officials actions can be considered 'standard operating procedure' when presented with that situation. Lockdown drills are as much of a part of school culture as 'evacuation' drills.

BTW school officials have a much lower threshold to search (leagally -'TLO-vs- NJ') than police, school officials have a 'reasonable suspicion'threshold not probable cause.

This isn't a case of school staff searching kids under "reasonable suspicion". It's a case of the police searching every student and staff member. Probable cause would still apply.

My guess is that the students being searched is ok as the school staff can consent to the search on behalf of the student as they act in loco parentis. I'd also guess that the staff consented to the search as most people in that profession (with the exception of a few like my mother) are sheep.

There is no 4th amendment rights in the liberal strongholds they call schools. Zero tolerance and moonbat rules only apply......

That said, I know many that used to leave shotguns or bows in the car so they could deer hunt after school in the late 80's. I'm amazed anyone survived the horror of stuff like that.......but we made it thru somehow.....

Everyone can blame VA Tech and Columbine for letting them have all these communist policies in schools....I'm not going along with it. No matter how many zero tolerance policies and gun free zones you have, if some wacko wants to go off....it's going to happen. You don't have to erode civil liberties because of it......

Last edited:
There is no 4th amendment rights in the liberal strongholds they call schools. Zero tolerance and moonbat rules only apply......

That said, I know many that used to leave shotguns or bows in the car so they could deer hunt after school in the late 80's. I'm amazed anyone survived the horror of stuff like that.......but we made it thru somehow.....

of course it applies. Any staffer could have refused a search. My bet is none did or even knew they were allowed to refuse.

I better go home and make sure none of my ammo has enough gunpowder to fire itself.

Bullet in school

The tragedies that have happened at offices and campuses across our nation have been just that, tragedies. And a big influence in my carry habits today.

Personally I understand the need to keep our kids and coworkers secure. But c'mon already. Does anyone else think this "alarmist" tact when someone finds a bullet or even says the "gun" word in school is totally far gone?

They're gonna have a field day with my kid cuz the casing would probably come from his shoe! [rofl]

In many ways I fear for my child's future...and in so many other ways I'm glad I can bring another SANE and REASONABLE person into it...gods know we need as many as we can get! [rules][rules][rules]

Yes, because in both those cases, the perpetrators walked around and sprinkled ammunition about the campuses as a precursor to their attack.

Not.

I'm not really sure where these "school officials" came up with this notional that because a few pieces of ammo are found, someone is going to get shot. [rolleyes]

I could kinda see the rationale if they actually found a firearm, but just a few cartridges? Puhleeze.

Every one of these incidents so far in MA has ultimately led to some kids doing it on purpose to cause a lockdown or evacuation. Once it got in the news the first couple of times kids figured out they could trigger the same response in any school, so now pranksters all over MA are taking these officials for a ride.

-Mike

This isn't a case of school staff searching kids under "reasonable suspicion". It's a case of the police searching every student and staff member. Probable cause would still apply.

My guess is that the students being searched is ok as the school staff can consent to the search on behalf of the student as they act in loco parentis. I'd also guess that the staff consented to the search as most people in that profession (with the exception of a few like my mother) are sheep.

I have a question;
Can the staff still act in loco parentis if the student is 18 years old?

My grandfather told me once about how, on the opening day of white tail season, all the boys would bring their rifles to school, leave then in the coat room, and go hunting right after school.
Now even the thought of doing that will get you arrested. [frown]

I have a question;
Can the staff still act in loco parentis if the student is 18 years old?

My grandfather told me once about how, on the opening day of white tail season, all the boys would bring their rifles to school, leave then in the coat room, and go hunting right after school.
Now even the thought of doing that will get you arrested. [frown]

beats me. My guess is that at age 18 one's presence in school is voluntary BUT you're still subject to all the schools rules while there. My guess is an 18 year old student would be able to give consent on his/her own.

Bullets were found in the hallway at Duxbury Middle School Friday afternoon.

Once again, the media can't get their facts straight.

A live and empty round of ammunition was reportedly found by a student and staff member.

That is ONE bullet, not bullets. You could have said ammunition, casings, scary metal alloys, or even stuff that goes bang, but you are either a complete moron or lying when you say bullets.

And these are the same people who report on really complex stuff like Healthcare. Jeeze, if they can't get simple things like bullets straight, how the heck can we believe what they say about the rest?

Back
Top Bottom