Bulletproof

Currently watching a "Modern Marvels" on the HISTORY CHANNEL called "Bulletproof".

A fascinating history of armor and other bulletproofing technology. Well worth watching if you get a chance to see it.

Regards
John

I just finished watching Lethal Weapon 3. Them's were cop-killer bullets! [rolleyes]

If only these movies weren't so much fun to watch, I'd throw them away!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Bullets - In 1841 a conical bullet changes ammunition forever

I saw the one called ""Bullets"
In 1841 a conical bullet changes ammunition forever."

It was on at 7pm on 9/29/06 History Channel - Modern Marvels

They were showing the history of the bullet, some marine stuff how they perfectly weigh and match every bullet to the rifle and some cop who was a complete advocate of not killing any perps but just making them stop. So they had a gun or at least a theory of a gun with four barrels and you can select from lethal to a series of less then or less lethal options like a small bean bag or something like that.

But the military was experimenting woth the idea of a gun...bug squar box looking thing where you load thirty some odd magazines at one time. You can computer program how many rounds you want to fire and each bullet/projectile id fired electronically. No casing, no powder and no primer. Just bullets stacked one behind the other. They said if they could load enough magazines and bullets the sustained rate of fire for this thing would be 1,000,000 rounds per minute. ONE MILLION!!!! I thought that was rather fascinating. A little tough to CC though lol.....If it's on again I would watch just to see that.

They also had a bullet that can distinguise between hard and soft body armor and warm flesh. The bullet goes through steel and vests but when it hits warm soft flesh it explodes on contact. Made a mess out of a pot roast.

But the military was experimenting with the idea of a gun...bug square box looking thing where you load thirty some odd magazines at one time. You can computer program how many rounds you want to fire and each bullet/projectile id fired electronically. No casing, no powder and no primer. Just bullets stacked one behind the other. They said if they could load enough magazines and bullets the sustained rate of fire for this thing would be 1,000,000 rounds per minute.

Not to hijack the thread, but it sounds like you're describing the Metal Storm system. Seems pretty cool to me, too. Their website has a lot of videos of the system in action...

Not to hijack the thread, but it sounds like you're describing the Metal Storm system. Seems pretty cool to me, too. Their website has a lot of videos of the system in action...

I looked at that....that's not it. It is definately military though. You have to try and see this show. It's only an hour long and they show it close to the end. It's incredible.....I likked at the history chanel and it doesn't say when it's on again. But I'll keep checking and if it comes up I'll post it here..

Paste this lin to CNN and see the gun....

They show this gun on Modern Marvels....

http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/06/26/australia.metalstorm/index.html

Gun whips up a Metal Storm
By CNN's Geoff Hiscock
Friday, June 27, 2003 Posted: 3:22 PM EDT (1922 GMT)

Metal Storm's high-speed gun, capable of firing at a rate of a million rounds a minute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED
• Gallery: How the 'super gun' works

• Metal Storm Limited

BRISBANE, Australia (CNN) -- Imagine a gun that fires a million rounds a minute -- enough to shred a target in a blink of an eye, or throw up a defensive wall against an incoming missile.

This is Metal Storm, a weapons system that forsakes old-style mechanics for the speed of electronics.

Its inventor is Mike O'Dwyer, a one-time grocer in the Australian city of Brisbane. He's spent 30 years and much of his own money to develop the technology.

Now, finally, the doors are opening for him at the Pentagon, the U.S. Defense Department's headquarters.

O'Dwyer says that the real value comes from Metal Storm's electronic capability to deliver rates of fire and different types of projectiles very precisely.

The weapons range from a handgun that can only be operated by an authorized user to a grenade launcher that can fire either lethal or non-lethal ammunition.

While much of the technology is a closely guarded secret, the firing mechanism has no moving parts. Instead, it uses electronic ballistics technology. Unlike other guns, the only parts which move are the bullets.

The Metal Storm handgun employs electronic locking, which can limit firing access and stop unauthorized use. It can even be programmed not to fire within, say, the grounds of a school.

Its grenade launcher can give the same defensive security as a minefield, but without physically putting any explosives in the area being guarded. Instead, sensors can alert an operator to any intrusion. The operator can then decide whether to use lethal or non-lethal grenades to warn off -- or destroy -- the intruder.

My mistake...you are absolutely right. it is Metal Storm but not the 40mm cannon shown on their home page....That's exactly it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom