Bullet Puller - Quality Option ?

EddieZoom

NES Member
Snowy day...good time to work through my "oops" stash and pull some bullets. Been using a cheapy inertia/hammer style from Franklin Armory. After three or four successful extractions, the head shattered.

So, are all of these created the same ? You can pay more money for "name brand" versions of the same thing. Worth it to spend a little more or just get another cheapy and hope for the best ?

It doesn't see a lot of action...I typically use it a few times a year.

Don't know about the inertia pullers. As an alternative, if you have a a single stage or turret press, the bullet puller die w/ collet insert should last a lifetime. e.g. Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller.

Don't know about the inertia pullers. As an alternative, if you have a a single stage or turret press, the bullet puller die w/ collet insert should last a lifetime. e.g. Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller.

The Hornady one is for rifle cartridges only. What do you suggest for handgun cartridges?

I like the Aluminum handled inertia pullers. A few companies make them now.
The rcbs collet puller is awesome if it works for your needs.

The Hornady one is for rifle cartridges only. What do you suggest for handgun cartridges?
Ahh, good question, I don't know. I only reload for rifle but they might have collets available that will still be able to grip jacketed pistol calibers. Need to read up on that. RCBS also has a slightly different collect based puller.

I have a Franklin inertia puller and haven't had any issues with it, especially not shattering or cracking. Maybe you got a bad one? I would reach out to the company and see if they'll replace it.

My inertia puller is from Dillon. I've been slamming it against my small anvil for twenty years. Probably have pulled a hundred bullets I'm guessing. No problems yet.

From Hornady's ad "Not for use with cast bullets" Aren't all pistol bullets cast then plated or coated in copper? I guess they mean lead only bullets.

Metal jacket bullets are *not* plated or coated. FMJ or TMJ or JHP or JSP or anything with a "J" in it is a relatively thick copper jacket, like you can hurt yourself with just the jacket if you melt the lead out.

Coated and plated bullets have a very, very thin coating, it has no function other than separating the lead core from the barrel (and your fingers and the air and stuff). Jacketed bullets' jacket is strong enough to keep high velocity bullets from flying apart from centripetal force. Plated and cast bullets have a maximum speed (rotational speed) before they kinda fall apart.

The Hornady cam lock is for pistol and rifle. I use it for both but as others have said, it doesn’t work with cast bullets. I use coated 9mm bullets and was unable to pull those using this. But for jacketed and plated, works well once you figure out how to set it up properly.

Been using this for over 20 years! Quinetics Corp inertia puller.
To save 223 bullets bought a RCBS press mount bullet puller.
Fine I have a need for both.

Attachments

• B83E28AB-8BD9-4DD5-92A2-6A466E9EEADF.jpeg
    B83E28AB-8BD9-4DD5-92A2-6A466E9EEADF.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 5
My Dillion worked great for years (until it shattered). When you think about it, it stands to reason; it's only going to flex so many times before it breaks, but - on the other hand - the cost-per-whack is only pennies. Now I just regard it as a consumable (like everything else).

The inertia pullers will work with most rounds, although the smaller calibers (less bullet mass) tend to be stubborn.
The press mounted collet pullers make for cleaner pulls and won't leave powder all over the place. Handy if you know what powders are inside, so you can simply proceed to reseat a bullet or gather the powder back into a container for re-dispensing.

I got a cheap no name discount puller its taken some abuse. I use a small piece of 1/2" lead sheet as impact area...
I have become lazy over the years and unless I have some money tied up into carts that need pulling I dump in dud box at the range.
pulled a bunch of junk 8mm for the bullets.....never again
I sold the junk ammo as such to a offer of .20 each then went and bought 1k bullets for .13 each. it was steel cased copper washed hangfire junk

I have the rcbs collet puller. Good results. You can pull plated bullets without mucking them up much if you are careful.

Back
Top Bottom