• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

bullet proof vests for dogs - does that work?

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
I got a country station in my shop, so I hear all these commercials about donating money to buy bullet proof vest for police dogs (www.mavestadog.org). Right off the bat the idea sounds a bit crazy to me.
K9_1.gif

I realize that these vests protect against not only firearms, but also stubbing and blunt trauma. It doesn't make sense though. Typically, when dog attacks you, it leads with a head forward, an exposed head. I believe that dogs are trained to attack the closest protruding object from the target. For most people it would be an arm. For an armed person, that should be the barrel of the gun pointing at the dog. [sad]

If I would defend myself against a dog, hitting the body with a bat is not the best tactics (sorry for the imagery if you are into dog loving), head is usually it.

I just don't see how these are useful. I tried to find any statistics if these things really save service dogs. Also, a friend of mine had a service dog and I believe that they have well defined span of years and have to meet some requirements to remain in service. Anyone want to chime in if these are more than feel-good gimmiks?

Well I figure if you are actually on the ground and the dog is latched on to you and you are tussling around, it would be easiest to get a gun/knife to the things torso rather than right in there face, where you risk shooting/stabbing yourself.

Mike

Im sure it does, to pull of a quick shot on a small, low and fast moving target youre probably aiming a bit lower and may catch the dog on the chest protector.

If a dog is wearing one while biting somebody that isnt a suspect, is that upgraded to a felony for wearing the vest while committing a crime? Is that an automatic euthanasia? [rolleyes]

I've always been told you don't run. But, tackle the dog and land with your knees in it's rib cage, it should release it's grip. A vest would probably stop some of that injury. A dogs head is simply too thick for the most part.

I probably wouldn't buy one for my dog unless I was hunting with Dick Cheney.

my buddy use to put one on his lab when he took it bird hunting. . . .he had a previous do that was shot by another hunter. Not enough to kill him, but enough that he was pulling pellets out of fur and a layer of skin

my opinion on the Massachusetts Vest-A-Dog program is that once mass stops supporting illegals i can justify sending a few dollars in to support the dogs.

That is really crappy, although in this case the vest wouldn't have helped, unfortunately. I think if I was the dog's owner, I would have shot the guy with the rifle before he left my property.

I agree with others on the vests being pretty ineffective overall. I've been attacked a few times in my life by dogs, and my first inclination is always to hit it in the head with whatever I have in hand, and if I'm not armed, then just a solid punch. With a gun, I would think that most people would go for a head shot in that case as well.

my opinion on the Massachusetts Vest-A-Dog program is that once mass stops supporting illegals i can justify sending a few dollars in to support the dogs.

I agree.
I think we have other priorities before buying armor plating for dogs.

When I heard that commercial on the radio I thought those people were F'in out of their minds to spend that kind of money on a radio spot.
They should have just used that money to buy the damn vests if they wanted them so bad.

I agree.
I think we have other priorities before buying armor plating for dogs.

When I heard that commercial on the radio I thought those people were F'in out of their minds to spend that kind of money on a radio spot.
They should have just used that money to buy the damn vests if they wanted them so bad.
Can't the dogs just ride in the MWRAP? [laugh]

wow...you know these swat teams have gotten out of hand when they need to buy vest to help them stop from killing their own dogs![smile]

kidding aside....i think its a good idea, i think of my dog as family....and if i was in a situation where i needed a vest, i would be damn sure my dog had one.

wow...you know these swat teams have gotten out of hand when they need to buy vest to help them stop from killing their own dogs![smile]

kidding aside....i think its a good idea, i think of my dog as family....and if i was in a situation where i needed a vest, i would be damn sure my dog had one.

Yeah but would you take out a radio ad to ask other people to pay for it?

That's fine, but the question remains whether resources/time, volunteer, donated or otherwise could be re-directed to more productive causes?

Even if that is to the dogs themselves... Care, retirement, training, etc...

Protecting a K9 is a very productive cause. These dogs are valuable in saving lives and are not cheap to Departments. I have donated plenty of money to Police Department that cannot afford K9's because of what these animals give back. My GSD comes from a family that has produced such great defenders of the boys in blue. It only takes one good stab to take these dogs out, so weigh the cost of a new fully trained K9 (@$10,000+) to a $700 vest and its a no brainer as insurance. Great cause, and they will get a check from me

Uhh, you realize that that's not an armored vehicle for "The Government" to waste money with on a raid, right? It's basically a bigass ATV for wilderness SAR, hence the "Search and Rescue" on the back. Probably not even armored at all.

I'm surprised at all the hate directed at an organization that's basically a charity. Think a radio ad is a waste of money? Would any of us have heard of them if they hadn't put an advertisement on the radio? It's a cost-benefit thing. Paying for the radio ad probably gets them more donations than they would have gotten without it.

I completely fail to see the logical connection between the MA government not rounding up and deporting illegal immigrants, and railing on a non-profit trying to buy K9 body armor.

I'm surprised at all the hate directed at an organization that's basically a charity. Think a radio ad is a waste of money? Would any of us have heard of them if they hadn't put an advertisement on the radio? It's a cost-benefit thing. Paying for the radio ad probably gets them more donations than they would have gotten without it.
At least for my part its not hate, just seems like a waste of resources that could be put to better use...

I wonder how much the bulk/weight of the vest hinders the dogs movement and agility, my own GSD (lost her in Jan.) could climb ladders, turn around at the top and come back down, I'm trying to picture her doing that with one of those vests on.

I wonder how much the bulk/weight of the vest hinders the dogs movement and agility, my own GSD (lost her in Jan.) could climb ladders, turn around at the top and come back down, I'm trying to picture her doing that with one of those vests on.

Please tell me you have this on video.

Back
Top Bottom