bullet mold

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I'm considering casting for a Mosin. The bullets I bought are .312 and shoot lousy. If I did it right, the bore slugs .314 which seems large but would explain the bad accuracy. NOE makes .314 and .315 molds but I know nothing about them. Anyone use NOE molds?

I'm considering casting for a Mosin. The bullets I bought are .312 and shoot lousy. If I did it right, the bore slugs .314 which seems large but would explain the bad accuracy. NOE makes .314 and .315 molds but I know nothing about them. Anyone use NOE molds?
I have a 311365 I think it drops at .314

I have the LEE 312-185R great mold for the X54R . I ran my loads as cast (about .313) in my Ishyvesk 91/30 . A goto powder is 2400 and about 16 gr for a good soft shooting load.

What was your powder and chage.
How is the accuracy of the mosin to begin with?
My 91/30 was a pita to get to shoot “accurately” even with good hand loaded FMJ I struggled to get mine down under 3moa with Iron sights.
Cast loads where OK in the end I ended up with a 314299 mold that dropped right at .315 and still struggled to get decent groups.
The best consistent groups came from a light gallery load 200 gn bullet at 700fps or so with green dot.

NOE molds are beautiful.

I think back in the day they had more because they listed a lot of the molds they worked on for group buys. I am a little disappointed he doesn't have a nice paper patched mold.

The resized 8mm bullets shot better but the nose section is a bit large which makes chambering a bitch. Montana Bullet Works makes the correct bullet. It's a coated gas check spitzer. I ordered 100 at .315. If they shoot well, I'll order a mold from NOE. They make a spitzer gas check or plain base in .314 or .316.

The resized 8mm bullets shot better but the nose section is a bit large which makes chambering a bitch. Montana Bullet Works makes the correct bullet. It's a coated gas check spitzer. I ordered 100 at .315. If they shoot well, I'll order a mold from NOE. They make a spitzer gas check or plain base in .314 or .316.
Dont quote me on this and maybe your mauser is way tighter bore than my Yugo Mod98 but im casting to .323 ?

Back
Top Bottom