Bullet Manufacturers Lead Times

I would buy them if they were 160-165 grain. I shoot .357 and .358 in my 9mm.

So elucidate for me if you don't mind.
I've been loading for a couple of years now - but I'm not doing anything borderline or "edgy"; strictly by the books because I know that I don't know very much about reloading.

9mm is .355 dia, .38/.357 is .357 dia. So .38 is just slightly greater in diameter than 9mm, by 2/1000. If it doesn't matter, why are they different sizes? I have 125 grn for 9mm and 125 grn for .38, separate products, and I pay attention to which bullets go in which shells; I don't mix and match.

I would think, (emphasis on the "think"), that the larger diameter bullets in the smaller barrel would present an issue, at the very least leading up the rifling?? I could see loading 9mm bullets into .38 cases, and would expect some inaccuracy because the bullet wouldn't get properly spun because it was too small...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

I've been loading for a couple of years now - but I'm not doing anything borderline or "edgy"; strictly by the books because I know that I don't know very much about reloading.

9mm is .355 dia, .38/.357 is .357 dia. So .38 is just slightly greater in diameter than 9mm, by 2/1000. If it doesn't matter, why are they different sizes? I have 125 grn for 9mm and 125 grn for .38, separate products, and I pay attention to which bullets go in which shells; I don't mix and match.

I would think, (emphasis on the "think"), that the larger diameter bullets in the smaller barrel would present an issue, at the very least leading up the rifling?? I could see loading 9mm bullets into .38 cases, and would expect some inaccuracy because the bullet wouldn't get properly spun because it was too small...

Little easier to get away with for 929's and coated lead.
Forcing cone will size it down that last .001

Little easier to get away with for 929's and coated lead.
Forcing cone will size it down that last .001
This. Be careful. I only shoot lead coated, and the 929 was built lile sh*t by SW. I love the gun, but SW engineering is sh*t. Most likely due to politics and not the engineers.

Anyway, the cylinder is cut .357/.358 but I have heard the barrel is something like .356. If I put a .356 bullet in the cylinder, it goes straight through.

So I bought 1K .357, and then heard of people shooting .358 and I started.

Thst being said, with plated bullets I won't go over .356.

Some interesting stuff I noticed ... factory ammo, it shoot like a laser. Cast .356 = not good. Cast .357 = better, cast .358= better than. 357. I ordered Xtreme plated bullets today to see if they shoot like better than cast bullets.

Keep in mind, my standards are high. If the gun is not shooting under 1" at 50 feet, off hand, it is sh*t.

These are my first 8 shots ever with the 929 using the cheapest 9mm factory ammo. I paid around $9/box in February.

PSX_20200216_164258.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting; thank you.

My 9mm's are all semi-autos, so I'm thinking a .38 in 9mm case wouldn't chamber correctly.

I haven't handled a 929, shot against them a few time at pin matches, and swore because my opponent had 2 extra rounds. :)

This. Be careful. I only shoot lead coated, and the 929 was built lile sh*t by SW. I love the gun, but SW engineering is sh*t. Most likely due to politics and not the engineers.

Anyway, the cylinder is cut .357/.358 but I have heard the barrel is something like .356. If I put a .356 bullet in the cylinder, it goes straight through.

Some interesting stuff I noticed ... factory ammo, it shoot like a laser. Cast .356 = not good. Cast .357 = better, cast .358= better than. 357. I ordered Xtreme plated bullets today to see if they shoot like better than cast bullets.

Keep in mind, my standards are high. If the gun is not shooting under 1" at 50 feet, off hand, it is sh*t.

These are my first 8 shots ever with the 929 using the cheapest 9mm factory ammo. I paid around $9/box in February.

View attachment 387651
Are those powder burns on the target?

View attachment 387651

You ever thought of getting that reamed for .38 Super or Super Comp?
Word floating around the interwebs is it will already use 9X21

My bullets that were supposed to be here on Sept 1 got to Memphis Tn this morning at 2:46. They came from Alamo Tn so I'm guessing that this delay was not caused by the post office as the mfg. claimed. I don't mind a long lead time if I'm told this up front.

My bullets that were supposed to be here on Sept 1 got to Memphis Tn this morning at 2:46. They came from Alamo Tn so I'm guessing that this delay was not caused by the post office as the mfg. claimed. I don't mind a long lead time if I'm told this up front.

I dont think it's the mfg that is the hold up... my tracking was similar, and it was picked up by USPS quickly, but then spends a nice vacation in TN.
I've heard that people are ordering from them, but choose UPS shipping and it's been going better.

I dont think it's the mfg that is the hold up... my tracking was similar, and it was picked up by USPS quickly, but then spends a nice vacation in TN.
I've heard that people are ordering from them, but choose UPS shipping and it's been going better.
If this is black bullets, I didnt even know I had a UPS choice. :( ... mine are still on vacation in TN. I hope it is heavy AF. Lol.

This is pretty racists. They are holding them because of the word "black".

Maybe they are bringing them by foot using the Appalachian Trail.

Screenshot_20200916-114626_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
If this is black bullets, I didnt even know I had a UPS choice. :( ... mine are still on vacation in TN. I hope it is heavy AF. Lol.

This is pretty racists. They are golding them because of the word "black".

Maybe they are bringing them by foot using the Appalachian Trail.

It wasn't an option before... they have switched because of the issues with the local USPS distribution.

shipping is screwy right now for sure. the scanning software is screwy also. i've got 2 orders (brass & bullets) en route scheduled to be here today, wednesday, shipped via ups last friday. everything good, picked up as schedued, progressing through the system and our great country as anticipated. up until yesterday when the delivery date was changed at 2 pm to friday, yet the tracking said my 2 packages, nothing exceptionally big or heavy, ~10 lbs each, were accepted in chelmsford that evening at 10:15 pm. just before turning in for the night ~ midnight, i checked and it said the boxes were loaded on the truck for delivery, still scheduled for friday, but as of this morning, they're out for delivery, scheduled now for tomorrow, thursday. my guy delivers around 2-3 so we'll see in a bit what happens. it's just funny, don't need the stuff asap...just amusing watching the stuff travel.

my regular ups driver is pretty good. my last case of ammo came and i ambushed the guy before he dumped it on the steps and i asked if he'd put it inside the door for me, still on the floor but over the threshold. he knows i'm a gimp, he told me if i wanted, he'd put it down where i wanted. he ended up carrying the 40 lb box into the kitchen and put it down there. if i had to scoop it off the floor i'd still be bent over.

Loading a .355 in 38 might work if you used a 9mm expander - with a .357 expander you won't have enough neck tension and will get sketchy ignition.

The other way around, .357 in 9mm, is used a lot with cast bullets in loose barrels. Plated can probably be treated like cast. Jacketed would be very dependant on jacket thickness and profile.

shipping is screwy right now for sure. the scanning software is screwy also. i've got 2 orders (brass & bullets) en route scheduled to be here today, wednesday, shipped via ups last friday. everything good, picked up as schedued, progressing through the system and our great country as anticipated. up until yesterday when the delivery date was changed at 2 pm to friday, yet the tracking said my 2 packages, nothing exceptionally big or heavy, ~10 lbs each, were accepted in chelmsford that evening at 10:15 pm. just before turning in for the night ~ midnight, i checked and it said the boxes were loaded on the truck for delivery, still scheduled for friday, but as of this morning, they're out for delivery, scheduled now for tomorrow, thursday. my guy delivers around 2-3 so we'll see in a bit what happens. it's just funny, don't need the stuff asap...just amusing watching the stuff travel.

my regular ups driver is pretty good. my last case of ammo came and i ambushed the guy before he dumped it on the steps and i asked if he'd put it inside the door for me, still on the floor but over the threshold. he knows i'm a gimp, he told me if i wanted, he'd put it down where i wanted. he ended up carrying the 40 lb box into the kitchen and put it down there. if i had to scoop it off the floor i'd still be bent over.
yeah, the stuff was delivered if anyone is playing along. now i got some ammo boxes due tomorrow. same shit as todays delivery, scheduled for friday delivery but 5 minutes ago it said on truck for delivery. gotta laugh, my boys at ups are slowly melting down.

i had one lot of misc "stuff" in the land of the lost. this time usps. last week, on my regular route carrier's day off, a sub marked the package delivered but it was in the land of the lost. i dunno??? tonight i just sat down to dinner a little after 5 and i hear tap, tap, tap at the back door. my mailman. they found the package at the station, he knew i was looking for it, i mentioned it to him earlier in the week, he brought it over on his way home. nice of him i thought. i'm lucky with my regular guys...ups & usps...the substitute guys are killing me. and fed ex always sucks. [banghead]

Loading a .355 in 38 might work if you used a 9mm expander - with a .357 expander you won't have enough neck tension and will get sketchy ignition.

The other way around, .357 in 9mm, is used a lot with cast bullets in loose barrels. Plated can probably be treated like cast. Jacketed would be very dependant on jacket thickness and profile.

Thank you.

still dazzled by shipping protocols lately. now i found in my email this morning, "We'll be in your area and will deliver your UPS SurePost® package instead of the post office." and "At the request of MidwayUSA, this notice alerts you that the status of the shipment listed below has changed."

what...no faith in the usps anymore?

Back
Top Bottom