Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

I only need 5 shots, so I could. [rofl]

If I was that good, I would definitely shoot with a single action. As long as it is USPSA legal (which I dont see why they wouldnt be), I could.
Go for it. I’ve watched guys shoot a 500 S&W (YouTube) at USPSA matches. They were slow but no one teased them about it. 😂

I shot a steel match a few weeks ago with my 1873 rifle. The stage with the reload sucked but I had fun.

Must have been a casting day.

Father gave me some flashing and a stick of plumbers solder. Added that to my pile and smelted all I had. Did 40lbs of 20:1 and 20 of pure.
View attachment 399151
Cast a bin full of Lee C309-170-F and a bin of Lee 356-120-TC. Will coat some rainy day
View attachment 399152
Ohhh nice work!
I’m jealous. I haven’t cast a bullet since the seminar.

Different rule set than u.s.p.s.a.
You'd be in I.S.R.
There was a s.a.s.s. provision years back for .22
ISR has pretty much the same rules as Revolver for USPSA action pistol.

I dont think there is a rule against shooting single action in USPSA or Steel Challenge. It would just be stupid for USPSA.

ISR has pretty much the same rules as Revolver for USPSA action pistol.

I dont think there is a rule against shooting single action in USPSA or Steel Challenge. It would just be stupid for USPSA.

You'd need extra cylinders like Frank has for his b.p. revolver, the greatest handgun ever made.
You'll also need a beard/mullet combo, maybe even a big shiny belt buckle and an old Lynrd Skynrd t-shirt. FREEEEEEEEEEBIRD!!!!!!

Cast a few more today and coated some leftovers from earlier in the week.
Not a bad haul.
For the member asking how long they take to cast.
I put on a timer for 5 minutes and started casting with 2 moulds. I dropped each mould 10 times.
One was a 4 cavity one was a 6. So 100 bullets in 5 minutes. F09C9CD4-4211-4E64-B7F0-68FF71F35469.jpeg

Cast a few more today and coated some leftovers from earlier in the week.
Not a bad haul.
For the member asking how long they take to cast.
I put on a timer for 5 minutes and started casting with 2 moulds. I dropped each mould 10 times.
One was a 4 cavity one was a 6. So 100 bullets in 5 minutes. View attachment 409411
You need to stuff those olives on the right.

same concept I guess , soaks up vibration?
Maybe I think it's a water seal and makes up differences in the stone surfaces tend to find it when steel to granite even under old guard rail posts. When they do segmental gears on bridges and other out door equipment they would pour between the joints to keep the water out so it won't freeze and break the cast iron. So if there was no lead under bolted or pinned steel on granite water will get in and freeze and break the stone.

Maybe I think it's a water seal and makes up differences in the stone surfaces tend to find it when steel to granite even under old guard rail posts. When they do segmental gears on bridges and other out door equipment they would pour between the joints to keep the water out so it won't freeze and break the cast iron. So if there was no lead under bolted or pinned steel on granite water will get in and freeze and break the stone.
Cool, stuff we never would know.

Regarding hitek coating, after each coat is cooked on, I do a wipe test and smash test. Do I really need to do a smash test after each coat knowing the the 1st has been proven to be good? How about after the 1st and 2nd coats are proven to be good and doing a 3rd? Not being lazy or trying to cut corners, more just curious. Thanks

Regarding hitek coating, after each coat is cooked on, I do a wipe test and smash test. Do I really need to do a smash test after each coat knowing the the 1st has been proven to be good? How about after the 1st and 2nd coats are proven to be good and doing a 3rd? Not being lazy or trying to cut corners, more just curious. Thanks
I test each time for the heck of it. From what I’ve read if the first coat doesn’t flake then the rest will be fine.
I wipe every time for sure though.

I'm lazy - wipe first coat and smash the last.
But I also over bake so not really worried about not being cured.
I like to smash on the first. If they are going to flake it’s going to be the first coat.
I did thousands of 45s at one point and I had an issue with the first coat. Didn’t know till the last coat though.
That sucked to remelt

Back
Top Bottom