Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Have you checked out the hi-tek thread on castboolits?
From what I remember they had a hard time testing hardness with the coating on. The issue with filing off the coating is that lead work softens (opposite of say copper or steel) so as you file you’re actually dropping the hardness.
I didn’t read too deep into it but it seemed like the only way to see what would work was the proof being in the pudding.

I have, but not recently. Several years ago maybe when someone was trying to push 3000 (maybe it was 2500) f.p.s. through a rifle with a powder coated load, and I think he had some success with it. I don't remember the caliber exactly, it was one of those metric ones like 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc. It was right about when powder coating was taking off, and before federal offered it as an option in syntec ammo.

I'll take a look tonite at the hi-tek stuff.

I noticed the vid didn't give a measurement for how much lead was filed off.
If straight wheel weights will work with hi-tek up to say 1500 fps, then good enough.

It got me curious because either missouri bullets or bayou lists a b.h.n. of 16 or 18, so I got to wondering if thats before or after baking them.

I have, but not recently. Several years ago maybe when someone was trying to push 3000 (maybe it was 2500) f.p.s. through a rifle with a powder coated load, and I think he had some success with it. I don't remember the caliber exactly, it was one of those metric ones like 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc. It was right about when powder coating was taking off, and before federal offered it as an option in syntec ammo.

I'll take a look tonite at the hi-tek stuff.

I noticed the vid didn't give a measurement for how much lead was filed off.
If straight wheel weights will work with hi-tek up to say 1500 fps, then good enough.

It got me curious because either missouri bullets or bayou lists a b.h.n. of 16 or 18, so I got to wondering if thats before or after baking them.
Straight WW will be totally fine for 1500 FPS. I would say even with a 10 twist 30 caliber.

My guess with those companies is they’re using a harder alloy like hardball. I think a lot of commercial casters do this. They figure harder is better. Less deformation during transport. Hopes for less leading. Better castability.
I doubt they do any type of quench after the coating process. Maybe they’re using an alloy that air cools to that hardness?

Hey Guys!! I haven't been on in awhile and have not done much in casting. I have been out straight. Late last year when no one would take the job I reluctantly agreed to be the VP of the Museum I Volunteer at. Well at the end of Feb. the President Passed away and I became President, two weeks later we had to close because of COVID. With the help of other Volunteers we were able to keep the Museum going. After jumping through all the State and Local Hoops we were able to get the Museum opened a couple of weeks ago. We are still having problems with the City on parking but I hope to have that straightened out soon. The Museum is Is the Fort Taber-Fort Rodman Military Museum in New Bedford, Ma. Fort Taber / Fort Rodman Historical Association, Inc. – Preservation of Fort Taber and it's history, as a part of the city of New Bedford's past.. As we reopened, some exciting opportunities have unexpectedly arrived for the museum. One is the 3D virtual tour that is in the process of being produced and is unbelievable in what I have seen so far. The second is the museum has been invited to participate in the second season of the PBS Television series “Treasures Inside the Museum” The show will be recorded at the museum and aired sometime after October. So as you can see I am still busy. I hope everyone is well, and I hope to see you soon.

Hey Guys!! I haven't been on in awhile and have not done much in casting. I have been out straight. Late last year when no one would take the job I reluctantly agreed to be the VP of the Museum I Volunteer at. Well at the end of Feb. the President Passed away and I became President, two weeks later we had to close because of COVID. With the help of other Volunteers we were able to keep the Museum going. After jumping through all the State and Local Hoops we were able to get the Museum opened a couple of weeks ago. We are still having problems with the City on parking but I hope to have that straightened out soon. The Museum is Is the Fort Taber-Fort Rodman Military Museum in New Bedford, Ma. Fort Taber / Fort Rodman Historical Association, Inc. – Preservation of Fort Taber and it's history, as a part of the city of New Bedford's past.. As we reopened, some exciting opportunities have unexpectedly arrived for the museum. One is the 3D virtual tour that is in the process of being produced and is unbelievable in what I have seen so far. The second is the museum has been invited to participate in the second season of the PBS Television series “Treasures Inside the Museum” The show will be recorded at the museum and aired sometime after October. So as you can see I am still busy. I hope everyone is well, and I hope to see you soon.
do they give demo's on bullet casting at fort taber?

Cast a bunch of Lee C309-170 in the garage this morning just for the hell of it. Don't feel like counting but it is over 10lbs. Unsure if I am going to coat or lube.
View attachment 377144
Made 3lbs of lube this morning and starting lubing some of the Lee C309-170. Haven't pushed them out yet. More than enough for a long time.
1lbs Beeswax
1lbs Paraffin
1 tub of Vaseline
1 red crayon
2 splashes of STP
20200822_112544.jpg20200822_114023.jpg20200822_124616.jpg20200822_130403.jpg

What was the cost?
Hobby Lobby had paraffin for $3 and beeswax for $10.49.
Dollar Store had Vaseline at $4.25.
I had the crayon and several bottles of STP.
So roughly an hour of my time and $5.91/lbs
I didn't want to do it but saw Hobby Lobby had 30% sale and I needed a lube. Plus, had a cigar while doing it, so all good in my book
20200822_141830-1.jpg

Hobby Lobby had paraffin for $3 and beeswax for $10.49.
Dollar Store had Vaseline at $4.25.
I had the crayon and several bottles of STP.
So roughly an hour of my time and $5.91/lbs
I didn't want to do it but saw Hobby Lobby had 30% sale and I needed a lube. Plus, had a cigar while doing it, so all good in my book
View attachment 382814
Nice, think I paid $18/lb shipped for 2500+ years back . I like the 2500 and have no problems with it so im hesitant to change.

Change is bad. #resistchange
yes , change generally cost me money.
i have made lube in the past especially as a kid.
My dad opened a package of stick lyman lube and basically said. Thats toilet wax ring grease.
That was the basic lube for our 38 spl and 30/30 cast bullets. Then i fell out of shooting for like 10 years.
I dont like the smell of the dark lyman lube or the toil rings, they do look and smell the same.
I made some home made lube when i first got back into casting. For me it was not worth the effort and i had everything on the shelf at the time.
Somethings im more lazy than cheap with .
making lube is one of them.
i know at some point my dad was able to get alox (late 80s) i think a guy at the gun club had a in on a 55g drum and was selling it in 1g paint cans. i asked my dad about it before he died and he said i probably used it to lube other things.

Last edited:
...I made some home made lube when i first got back into casting. For me it was not worth the effort and i had everything on the shelf at the time.
Somethings im more lazy than cheap with .
making lube is one of them...
Although it was one of the easiest things i have done since i started reloading and casting, and glad that i gave it a try, i agree w/ you and will not make it again as it is $13/lbs online:
I was too lazy to plan ahead and buy some before i needed it and didn't feel like pulling out the hi-tek coating stuff yesterday. Sitting on 3lbs now, i won't need any for awhile.

Although it was one of the easiest things i have done since i started reloading and casting, and glad that i gave it a try, i agree w/ you and will not make it again as it is $13/lbs online:
I was too lazy to plan ahead and buy some before i needed it and didn't feel like pulling out the hi-tek coating stuff yesterday. Sitting on 3lbs now, i won't need any for awhile.
These days if i have to go to a store i dont pass to and from work i aint going!

If anyone is interested in bullet/brass/ammo cardboard boxes.
I throw this style box away every day. From wheel hub assemblies. Turn inside out for plain box.
Pick up only in Hanover Ma week days
6CC5C02F-A752-44A5-9B0B-B8C7F43AA96F.jpeg

Right now, nothing. It goes into the pile.
Eventually, I'll mix Hardball lead.

I can't justify casting right now, or this year.
Goal is to sell the house in the spring and then start building down in Tenn. So anything I have after the sale will be in storage until I can get set up down there. 6-8 month build time at least.
The amount of stuff I've used as a sacrifice to the dumpster gods is bountiful. Plus whatever I've given away.

Plus side is-
Literally a firing range in a state forest less than 10 mins down the road from where we'll be.

Right now, nothing. It goes into the pile.
Eventually, I'll mix Hardball lead.

I can't justify casting right now, or this year.
Goal is to sell the house in the spring and then start building down in Tenn. So anything I have after the sale will be in storage until I can get set up down there. 6-8 month build time at least.
The amount of stuff I've used as a sacrifice to the dumpster gods is bountiful. Plus whatever I've given away.

Plus side is-
Literally a firing range in a state forest less than 10 mins down the road from where we'll be.
Damn that’s nice.

Back
Top Bottom