• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Any guesses on what this is? It doesn’t have normal grease grooves.

Attachments

• EC1C64E1-DBE0-4A8B-83D3-529304A05DED.jpeg
    EC1C64E1-DBE0-4A8B-83D3-529304A05DED.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 73353A3A-C4FF-4C94-87E3-8C2A9D9085E5.jpeg
    73353A3A-C4FF-4C94-87E3-8C2A9D9085E5.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 14
Looks like a paper patch bullet mould. Wanna sell it?
Drops at .304” and you paper wrap up to around .310” View attachment 370080

Thank you for the info! I’m used to paper patch bullets not having any circumferential grooves at all. I know how to paper patch, I do it for my Martini. I’ll hang on it for now. Thanks again.

Thank you for the info! I’m used to paper patch bullets not having any circumferential grooves at all. I know how to paper patch, I do it for my Martini. I’ll hang on it for now. Thanks again.
You’re welcome. Not sure why they did it like that but I’ve seen a .450” or so 45/70 NEI mould with the same style grooves in it.

Bricks for a fire pit. Really any old bricks will work for what you are doing.
Look for someone getting rid of a gas grill with a side burner. The side burners are usually unused and in good shape, weld up a stand for it that fits in your brick enclosure.
I usually do my scrap melt in my fire pit at the end of the night after the fam goes to bed when the coals are hot and deep. I use an old cast iron pot from a tag sale to melt the scrap then ladle into muffin tins.
not fire pit bricks but refractory to contain the heat better. The side burner is not very good. Not bad for small batches but it takes a long time.
My current fryer burner is 100,000 btu its rotted out to the point where the venturi holes are decayed and I do not get a nice flame. So i plan on getting a 200,000 and a 30psi regulator . Like to contain that heat better with the more powerful burner. Looking for a source of ceramic insulation blanket also. Been looking for scrap ovens to raid the shell and insulation with no luck.

When I was driving truck, I often picked up/delivered to H-W in New West Haven. It's not close to most NESers, but they should have what you seek.
One of their global sourcing centers is located at:
West Haven, CT GSC
163 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT 06516
P: 203-934-7960
F: 203-934-4912

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Old wood stoves maybe?

I have cracked a few of those fire bricks, but wasn't sure if it was from the heat (not sure what they're rated for) or from jamming stuff in the stove.

Concrete as an insulator maybe?
Im not sure what most are rated for. Trying to contain as much of the heat as I can. Problem is the bricks available locally are thin and not really well suited to stacking. Plus they are expensive at $4-5 a wack I might as well buy a insulated smelting pot.

Im not sure what most are rated for. Trying to contain as much of the heat as I can. Problem is the bricks available locally are thin and not really well suited to stacking. Plus they are expensive at $4-5 a wack I might as well buy a insulated smelting pot.
I’m sure there are cheaper places but you can get kaowool pretty cheap. The ITC100 would be a nice addition.

not fire pit bricks but refractory to contain the heat better. The side burner is not very good. Not bad for small batches but it takes a long time.
My current fryer burner is 100,000 btu its rotted out to the point where the venturi holes are decayed and I do not get a nice flame. So i plan on getting a 200,000 and a 30psi regulator . Like to contain that heat better with the more powerful burner. Looking for a source of ceramic insulation blanket also. Been looking for scrap ovens to raid the shell and insulation with no luck.
So you put way more thought into this than I ever have. I just Hill-Billy parts together until something works.
What about The ReStore? You have those out your way? I donate stuff to them all the time.

Minor hiccup in my 8mm cast reloads. My Dillon conversion kit came in and the powder funnel has no case expander so I have no way to bell the case till the lee universal case expander that I ordered comes in. Normally I just run all Dillon dies but this is the first time I had to go with something else.

I took more of my 9mm casts to the range yesterday and I’m continued to be impressed. First no lead, but I did the 100 yard challenge with the kids. The 100 yard challenge is basically how well you can do free hand with the handgun at the hundred. Pick a rock on the backstop and see who comes the closet the most consistent. It’s a good training tool.
I was hitting pretty consistently a soccer ball sized area around the target. I did buy a drop in barrel for the gun to run the casts through and oddly it was hitting POA.

Anyone have a source for firebricks or refractory bricks? I want to build a better suround for my smelting pot. Getting a new burner soon and really want to up my my efficiency. Think I should get more out of a tank. Might score a larger tank also. Hoping it has a few years left on the date code.

Been looking for a old heater housing or stove and take the shell and insulation out.
Maybe some ceramic blanket material .
My burner was already rusty when i picked it up. No matter what I,have done its now rotting heavily. A few of the gas vents have really opened up and I get a poor flame.

Tractor Supply and some Country Hardware stores have them. I am just not sure about this time of the year as the sales spaces usually go to summer items like grills, etc.

Towards the fall = you can definitely find them at those places (in the wood stove supply areas).

Minor hiccup in my 8mm cast reloads. My Dillon conversion kit came in and the powder funnel has no case expander so I have no way to bell the case till the lee universal case expander that I ordered comes in. Normally I just run all Dillon dies but this is the first time I had to go with something else.

I took more of my 9mm casts to the range yesterday and I’m continued to be impressed. First no lead, but I did the 100 yard challenge with the kids. The 100 yard challenge is basically how well you can do free hand with the handgun at the hundred. Pick a rock on the backstop and see who comes the closet the most consistent. It’s a good training tool.
I was hitting pretty consistently a soccer ball sized area around the target. I did buy a drop in barrel for the gun to run the casts through and oddly it was hitting POA.
If your impatient like me a tapered punch makes a good Hand flare tool.
At least get some loaded up if your getting to the range this weekend

Get some SR1 or the 50 yard service pistol targets and Put them at 100yd
Or a 8-10” plate. People often surprise themselves when they shoot at distance with a pistol.

Tractor Supply and some Country Hardware stores have them. I am just not sure about this time of the year as the sales spaces usually go to summer items like grills, etc.

Towards the fall = you can definitely find them at those places (in the wood stove supply areas).
Going the elchepo route. Waiting to find a old stove and raid it for the sheet metal and insulation.
For now I switch back to my Cast pot (down side it only holds 50lbs) cut a ring from the LP tank pot to go around rhe pot and used every muffin pan to block the heat the best I can.
I did 100lbs yesterday in less time than the last batch and used about 1/3 to 1/2 less fuel. Running out the last 6lbs of the free tank 3 runs so far.
Will run a small load today to use up the last of the gas then bring it to see if they will fill it?

If you are in or around the the Attleboro area this weekend, I could lend you my Lee universal expander. Not using it currently. Good luck

The lee expander is nice but if you get a chance to get a Lyman M Die it’s a nicer option. It’s designed specifically for cast so it expands about .001” more than normal. It also has a second step in the expander that works kind of like a flaring die. They’re awesome.

Great work man. I’m really happy for you. It’s so rewarding to cast your own. Great job showing the next generation how well cast works and of course how to shoot

The lead just keeps coming. Old timer I know dropped off a bunch of wheel weights this morning
Burning up the last few pounds of free propane. ECDCAC62-7D5D-4DC3-8A7B-C6572EC5655A.jpeg

Switched back to the cast iron and made a heat shield from theLP tank pot. ECDCAC62-7D5D-4DC3-8A7B-C6572EC5655A.jpeg
Basically cut the time to melt about image.jpg 30% I have already processed 50lbs

When this tank is empty im off to see how honest the local fill place is . They say by the gallon and fill to max capacity. We will see, he did say it will fill to the OPD valve style and it may not be exactly max capacity ? We will see

ATTACH=full]370436[/ATTACH
And there it is 120lbs of nice alloy gleaming in the independence day sun just over a hour from set up to ignots to clean up.
image.jpg

Ok so just figured it out, with the free 6lbs if propane I melted and casted 350lbs of ignots with the last 2 batches being the fasted and largest amounts.

Before I was running on average 500lbs per 15# exchange tank at thus rate im pushing closer to 900 lbs per 15lb propane.

Only thing left is those 200lbs of lead collars.
I will let me scrap pile build up again and wait till I can run serveral 100lbs at one session. More efficient that way I believe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Minor hiccup in my 8mm cast reloads. My Dillon conversion kit came in and the powder funnel has no case expander so I have no way to bell the case till the lee universal case expander that I ordered comes in. Normally I just run all Dillon dies but this is the first time I had to go with something else....

For small amounts of brass, a .50 BMG dummy round works as an impromptu case expander.

Damn you got a lot of lead
Not really but plenty for my needs and why I donate to the seminar and help others out. Its been years since I out laid any real cash for casting other than molds , plus these new ignot molds are fun.
My wife came strolling out to the danger zone, “what are you doing”
Had my fake teeth out and bent up glasses on looked up and in my worst “redneck” accent said “imdender mak’n gowld” she looked at the stack of ignots and just shook her head “dont forget to clean the pool” as she walked away

Not really but plenty for my needs and why I donate to the seminar and help others out. Its been years since I out laid any real cash for casting other than molds , plus these new ignot molds are fun.
My wife came strolling out to the danger zone, “what are you doing”
Had my fake teeth out and bent up glasses on looked up and in my worst “redneck” accent said “imdender mak’n gowld” she looked at the stack of ignots and just shook her head “dont forget to clean the pool” as she walked away
😂😂

Good old fiberglass is good to 1000

But if its left out to the weather it gets moldy and foul smelling real fast plus when its wet there is no r value
True

A sheet metal shield is going to get you a large fraction of the maximum heat retention - two layers spaced at 3/4-1" will block the wind, hold the hot glue gasses close to the crucible, and give you an R of 4-5.

I think the insulation is a small part of the loss equation compared to the loss from the heat getting blown away by wind.

With Redneck Gold ingot molds on hand, I couldn't help myself so I mixed another 20lbs of 50/50 COWW and flashing lead.

Didn't wait long enough to get up to a high enough temp to get nice ingots but got to try them out.

Ingots came out at about 1kg and dropped out out the molds easily - @mac1911 thanks for setting up the buy on these, worth every dollar.

Back
Top Bottom