Bullet Buttons Illegal? We'll Just Arrest You Until We Make Sure.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...rcement-unclear-on-legality-of-bullet-button/

And according to the state Department of Justice’s own regulations “a bullet is considered a tool.”

So which is it, legal or illegal? CBS 5 tried to get answers from Attorney General Kamala Harris for months. Finally, we were granted an interview with her press secretary Lynda Gledhill.

“If someone is found with a gun that’s assembled and the bullet button on the gun, that is an illegal gun in the state of California,” she told us. Within seconds, however, she said the opposite. “But a bullet button is legal, right?” we asked her. “Yes.”

Confused? So were we. “So do the regulations need to be rewritten to comply with the law or does the law have to be rewritten to comply with the regulations?” we asked her. Her response: “Well, again, I understand that is a complicated … it’s a complicated question because obviously we want to make sure that whatever we do is foolproof, so we don’t have loopholes like this crop up again.”

But Perata does agree that law-abiding AR owners are getting a raw deal. “These people should not be subject to arrest. Right now, the ambiguity of that alone should prevent that from happening,” he said

Its the ambiguity that allows for the illegal arrests. Sort of the same mentality in this state. "hmm, we don't know, so you're under arrest, and your personal possessions are confiscated until we figure it out.....at our convencience"

As much as the ma laws suck I guess it could be worse.... It's just sad that people demonize the gun... After all if bullet buttons were made illegal the world would be exactly no safer!!!! That move to Montana shit pissed me off too!!!! It's like screw that I'm a tax paying voting citizen of this state and I will own firearms in whatever flavor I choose!!! Be it hello kitty or scary black rifles!!!

It's sad they vilify legal gun owners how about you commit a crime with a gun you do more than a couple years? Some guy on his way to blow off some stress from work and family is a threat??? But the punk robbing liquor stores is just trying to support his 9 kids!!!! Rant over

It's neither vague nor ambiguous. The only people claiming that it is, are those who are willing to intentionally appear stupid and incompetent, in order to prosecute people who aren't breaking the law.

“If you want to use these guns go to Montana. Knock yourselves out. Move there. But this is California and we don’t want to have these kinds of guns here.”

This summarizes their attitude towards firearms.

just to educate the "ignorant" ... like me 10 min ago, this "bullet release" is basically special mag release device that requires pointy tool to release mags, hence it's no longer a "detachable" magazine and assault weapons ban does not apply.? Did I get it right?

f42886994-tfb.jpeg

just to educate the "ignorant" ... like me 10 min ago, this "bullet release" is basically special mag release device that requires pointy tool to release mags, hence it's no longer a "detachable" magazine and assault weapons ban does not apply.? Did I get it right?

f42886994-tfb.jpeg

In CA, yes. Not in MA. Bullet buttons are gayer then two gays in love. Trust me, I had one in my rifle while I was there.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
My favorite thing about the CA AWB is that it was put in place after the North Hollywood Shootout...in which the police, outgunned, went to a nearby gun shop where the owner was kind enough to let them utilize AR's and AK's that were for sale to deescalate the situation. If they had been equipped with bullet buttons, these guys would have run into the fray, and if they were lucky they would have figured out to pop the top round out of the mag to work the button so they could reload it.

Here is my plan we take all the freedom loving americans out of CA send all the moonbats there then we detonate charges along the fault line and allow California to drift into the Pacific.

Seems like a classic example of why they tell you not to talk to the police:

In 2009, Haynie was headed to a firing range when a Pleasanton police officer pulled him over for a cracked windshield. But it quickly got much more serious. “He said what was in the cases that I had, and I said they were rifles. The one they decided to demonize was my AR-15.,” said Haynie.

Seems like a classic example of why they tell you not to talk to the police:

I saw that, and I bet that those cases were in plain sight and probably did look like rifle cases. If cop asked him and he said something about his lawyer, the cop would call an army of SWAT, CIA, NSA, FBI ... [laugh] Either way, he was screwed.

What gets me is that bullet buttons have been available for a few years now and all of a sudden they're a menace to public/law enforcement safety.

Yes... but, then if you add this to the equation...

F41312710.jpg

http://ar-magmagnet.com/i-8599449-1-mag-magnet-gen2.html

you're right back at possible felony charges.

Today at Cow Palace Gunshow I saw a product that made me more than cringe.

It's the "MAG MAGNET" from Mag Magnet, Inc. Their website is at http://www.ar-magmagnet.com but thankfully their website is dead.

The device is a small magnetic cap that fits over the Bullet Button device and allows manual operation of the Bullet Button. It effectively is a new mag catch button operable from one's finger.

I have acquired one from someone who kindly donated it to CGF for discussion/analysis.

THIS PRODUCT, - IF USED/INSTALLED ON AN AR with BULLET-BUTTON MAGLOCK (i.e., an AR build with "features")
WILL TRIGGER ASSAULT WEAPONS STATUS. YOU WILL BE COMMITTING AT LEAST ONE - IF NOT MORE - FELONIES
(MANUFACTURING/POSSESSION OF AN UNREGISTED ASSAULT WEAPON.

* The person in the booth selling these was counseled by multiple parties to not sell this.
* Most of the traffic at this guy's booth were noobs who are just starting to get into OLLs, or people watching me yell at him

* The person staffing the booth carefully demos his device on a 'featureless' build (no PG, no FH, either U15 stock or MM grip)
with needless Bullet Button & 10rd mag, thus not triggering AW status.
* His assertions that it's legal are notably absent a "put your money where your mouth is" stance - using it on a BB-maglock'd build with features.

* He asserts it's a tool. Whether or not magnetic, the device can stay on a BB device and it then serves as a large mag button
* The pkg includes a warning sheet (exact quote except for some abbreviations or possible typos):

"For use in California, do not leave Mag Magnet on rifle at any time. Mag Magnet is intended to be used
as a magazine tool to comply with Title 11 Calif. Code of Regulations Sec. 5469(a) and California Penal
Code 12276.1. Leaving Mag Magnet on firearm mag designate it as an illegal assault weapon in violation of
California law. The CA Dept. of Justice has not taken action on the Mag Magnet.

Do not use Mag Magnet in California on magazines with capacities larger than 10 rounds. It is advised that
Mag Magnet user become familiar with Calif. DOJ requirements and updated interpretations of existing laws
and regulations.

Mag Magnet Inc. shall not be held responsible in any way for the inappropriate use of the product by the
user. User asssumes all liability and risks associated with ownership and use of this product. Mag Magnet
Inc. shall not be held responsible in any way for the inappropriate use of this product by the user. User
assumes all liability and risks associated with ownership and use of this product."

* The packages are sealed and buyers have told me they do not get to see the warning sheet before purchase.
During my enquiries I was told the bag was sealed, could not open. It was only verbally described as legal
* The vendor says he has had an attorney check it out, a former LA DA. (I'm betting he said "it's legal if
you don't sell it attached to a gun confgured as XXX"....)

* THIS PRODUCT IS NOT A TOOL. WHEN MOUNTED ON A BULLET BUTTON IT MAKES THE BULLET BUTTON A
NORMAL FINGER-OPERATED MAG CATCH AND THUS TURNS "FEATURED" AR BUILDS INTO ILLEGAL AWs.

* THERE IS NO TIME SPECIFICATION IN THE LAW FOR HOW SHORT OR LONG THIS PRODUCT COULD BE ON A
BulletButton MAG LOCK BEFORE TRIGGERING AW STATUS. THE *INSTANT* THE DEVICE IS ON THE BULLET BUTTON
IT'S A LARGER MAG CATCH BUTTON JUST LIKE THAT OF A STOCK FREE-STATE AR15. There simply is no time limit
allowed in CA law for an illegally-configured AW.

* THE SITUATION ON THIS DEVICE IS VERY SIMILAR TO WHY "TOOLS" SHOULD NOT BE ATTACHED VIA STRING
TO A MAGLOCK'D GUN - THEY LIKELY WILL BE REGARDED AS PART OF THE GUN AND NOT A TOOL.

* Thiis device would be problematic even if nonmagmentic and held on by friction, gravity, gunk/lube accumulation, etc.

This product is simply NOT needed and only will cause problems:

- it's generally unusable in California

- it's not needed outside CA, where a regular AR mag catch can be dropped in or removed in ~30 seconds.

- the people it's being marketed to are noobs being led down a troublesome path.

PLEASE USE YOUR CALGUNS KNOWLEDGE TO VOCIFEROUSLY DISSUADE OTHERS FROM BUYING/ACQUIRING THESE DEVICES FOR USE ON A GUN.
IF YOU SEE NOOBS AT A GUNSHOW BUYING ARs WITH THEM, PLEASE CAUTION THEM. (Be nice - they thought they had a legit product from a legit vendor.)

While legal in & of itself, these devices put the owner in real danger for multiple felony AW charges - no matter what a former supposed LA DA has said.

The best an owner of such a rifle w/such a device could hope for, if and when charged, is an AB2728 surrender of rifle or misdemeanor or a rare dismissal for nonclarity (highly unlikely).

[NB: The only real use for this product I can see would be for a person like myself with off-list Category 3 (only!) Registered AWs.
Such reg'd AWs could be equipped with Bullet Buttons (providing they're over 30" OAL) and then used with this Mag Magnet device to
be operable AWs at range, yet when transporting them home a 10rd magazine is installed before, locked in by the Bullet Button, and
with no Mag Magnet cap on the BB maglock. At this point the reg'd Cat 3 AW is no longer an AW and can be transported as a non-AW,
and without worry of "specific destination" laws. It also might be used for rimfire vs centerfire exchanges when a rimfire upper is in place.]

IF THE OWNERS/SELLERS OF THE MAG MAGNET WANT TO COME HERE AND DISCUSS THEIR PRODUCT'S LEGALITY AND SALES STRATEGY, FINE.

IF THEY WANT TO SUE ME FOR DEFAMING THEIR PRODUCT OR ORGANIZATION, FINE. (Take a friggin' number.)

Please let me know if you find vendors/gunshops selling these devices, rifles being imported into California with these installed, or FFLs selling fixed-mag/BB'd rifles equipped with these.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=238857

But Perata does agree that law-abiding AR owners are getting a raw deal. “These people should not be subject to arrest. Right now, the ambiguity of that alone should prevent that from happening,” he said

Its the ambiguity that allows for the illegal arrests. Sort of the same mentality in this state. "hmm, we don't know, so you're under arrest, and your personal possessions are confiscated until we figure it out.....at our convencience"

Perata is hypocritical, gun grabbing POS.

He was one of the chief architects of CA's AWB and is as anti-gun as they come... but he has a CA concealed carry permit (or at least he did).

perata3.gif

Here is my plan we take all the freedom loving americans out of CA send all the moonbats there then we detonate charges along the fault line and allow California to drift into the Pacific.

California has some great hunting land, leave that alone . Just send those you mentioned over to England where they can screw each other. They'd like that, but wouldn't like the fact that they can no longer exert faux control over us.

Better yet, fly them all over to Iraq, bury them in a cave.

f42886994-tfb.jpeg

Yes

They should outlaw belly buttons instead. At least outies. Leave guns alone.

Last edited:
California has some great hunting land, leave that alone . Just send those you mentioned over to England where they can screw each other. They'd like that, but wouldn't like the fact that they can no longer exert faux control over us.

Better yet, fly them all over to Iraq, bury them in a cave.

There's still plenty of unused desert in Nevada. Dump them all in a hole there, irrigate, plant crops, profit.

When the man is afoot, remove magnet and swallow.

Of course they may force you to sit on a bucket for a couple days.

My favorite thing about the CA AWB is that it was put in place after the North Hollywood Shootout...in which the police, outgunned, went to a nearby gun shop where the owner was kind enough to let them utilize AR's and AK's that were for sale to deescalate the situation. If they had been equipped with bullet buttons, these guys would have run into the fray, and if they were lucky they would have figured out to pop the top round out of the mag to work the button so they could reload it.

But now they can't be outgunned because evil guns are now illegal and no one would ever break the law....

It still bewilders me that some gun owning folks right here think Bullet Buttons are a good idea for Massachusetts ... [thinking]

But now they can't be outgunned because evil guns are now illegal and no one would ever break the law....

Plus since then, California and just about everywhere else lately have been flanking Posse Comitatus and militarizing till the cows come home. While the subjects are finger diddling their Bullet Buttons, they'll be cruising in for a friendly hi how are ya in these:

db576fec.jpg

I think the bullet button is Liberace and the AG is a commie gun grabber but did anyone else take notice that the guy in the article that got arrested told the cops what was in the cases.

Back
Top Bottom