Built my lower - finally

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I got the LPK from cpher and got to put it in my 2008 NES lower.

As I expected, something went wrong. The disconnector spring, disconnected, hit my forehead and disappeared into the ethers. I found cutting down a ball point pen spring worked well as a replacement.

It's all together and ready for my soon to be completed upper to be added.

I've never had an AR and find the design a little weird in that things are made so you must have a pistol grip and a stock on it, just just so pieces don't fall out !

I'm also a little surprised and concerned that the two main pins thru the hammer and trigger seem to be relatively loose and easy to work themselves out. The pins don't seem to mate with the lower in a tight way. I was able to press them in with my finger. I know the pieces they hold are under spring tension and that's not likely but it seems a little disconcerting to me for a weapon designed to be used in combat situations.

Are all AR's fit that loosely?

I'm also a little surprised and concerned that the two main pins thru the hammer and trigger seem to be relatively loose and easy to work themselves out. The pins don't seem to mate with the lower in a tight way. I was able to press them in with my finger. I know the pieces they hold are under spring tension and that's not likely but it seems a little disconcerting to me for a weapon designed to be used in combat situations.

Yes. The trigger pin is held in place by the legs of the hammer spring (that's why there is a groove near the edge of the hammer/trigger pins). The hammer pin is held in place by a retainer in the middle of the pin (another groove in the pins there). The pins will wiggle a bit, but should not walk out if installed properly.

I'm not sure but the pen spring used on your disconector, dont think that will last long?
As fa as the Rear detent spring you could tap the detent hole and put a 4-40 allen set screw in there. Will have to modify the spring a bit.
You could do the same for the selector switch.
For me the front take down detent spring is the one that went FLING

I got the LPK from cpher and got to put it in my 2008 NES lower.

As I expected, something went wrong. The disconnector spring, disconnected, hit my forehead and disappeared into the ethers. I found cutting down a ball point pen spring worked well as a replacement.

It's all together and ready for my soon to be completed upper to be added.

I've never had an AR and find the design a little weird in that things are made so you must have a pistol grip and a stock on it, just just so pieces don't fall out !

The disconnector spring is an important part of the trigger group. I wouldn't fire the rifle without the stock part. After market pins are available with a tighter fit, try Brownells.

I've run across a ton of disconnector springs that were simply too big for the trigger they came with, and I've had to alter or replace them with adequate substitutes. I don't think a pen spring is the best choice but it should work in a pinch.

Pilgrim, I'd double check and make sure everything is assembled correctly....

I'd also probably change that spring to a stock one prior to shooting it. I'm not 100% sure in this case, but a wrong spring here could result in the gun doubling, which will not only turn heads and be dangerous, but could make you some new friends in a large brick building.

I tried the KNS pins and found that they were badly worn after about 15,000 rounds. JP makes a similar product for a fraction of the KNS cost. I have had much better luck with the JP pins.

Back
Top Bottom