Buildings evacuated in downtown Baltimore after van found with 1,000 gallons of gasoline

From the third paragraph; Several city officials said they were told the van contained approximately 1,000 gallons of gasoline, but a spokesman for the Maryland Department of the Environment later said about 80 gallons of diesel fuel was offloaded from the vehicle.

What's a couple orders of magnitude difference...

Baltimore ain't so good with math.

From the third paragraph; Several city officials said they were told the van contained approximately 1,000 gallons of gasoline, but a spokesman for the Maryland Department of the Environment later said about 80 gallons of diesel fuel was offloaded from the vehicle.

What's a couple orders of magnitude difference...

One order of magnitude.

I need to build one of these vans for the zombie apocalypse.

Awesome. Some Baltimore entrepreneur just lost his equipment.

Looks like two IBC totes, total capacity 550 gallons. Probably filling up at the Baltimore City Government motor pool.

View attachment 302249

I'll give them credit for one thing, at least they were safety conscious and not filling up a shit load of Homer buckets.

If it was gas, before the explosion, think of the whoosh that would have made.

Yes indeedy though I don't think the owner of this vehicle was planning on going full Chris Dorner. Probably works at T. Rowe Price and his other car was in the shop. Next time use a panel van, sport.

I shouldn't say this really but it's so hard to find a really good terrorist these days, they all seem like amateurs.

Last edited:
There has been too much violence. Too much pain. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

images

Only applies to commercial vehicles. Load up your personal vehicle with as much as you want.

I was going to say “Tell that to those of us who trailer boats.” 110 is getting up there, but it certainly isn’t out of the question for a trailerable vessel by any stretch.

80 vs 1000, two extra zeros, two orders of magnitude.

It might seem so at first glance but I promise you it's just one. The rule you're using is incomplete.

Two orders of magnitude would be 80 ---> 8,000 (or 10,000).

I had this sh!t knocked into me by experts.

If you're interested I'll explain and bore everybody to death.

why are they using pounds as a unit of measurement for gasoline? 6000 pounds is going to be about 1000 gallons of gasoline

It has to do with the GVW rating of the van, is it designed to carry that much weight safely.
Assuming each person is 200 lbs, a fully loaded 15 passenger van is carrying 3000lbs payload, 1000 gallons of gas is double that.

And it looks like they found another suspicious van, this one with 660 gallons of gas:

Baltimore County Crews Find Suspicious Van Carrying 660 Gallons Of Fuel

Last edited:
How do they know the gas is stolen...

The van was rigged for pumping from in ground tanks.

I'm willing to bet that the 6,000 lbs/1,000gal has been exaggerated.

However, a spokesman for the Maryland Department of the Environment later said about 80 gallons of diesel fuel was offloaded from the vehicle.

Then when the idiots stealing the gas figured out they had no easy way to sell the gas, they just ditched the whole thing

All it takes is a mob run gas station. One stop shopping on the drop. Remember the NY mob run gas stations? They made millions not paying the fuel tax. Run it for 6 months and move on to the next just before the tax people shut you down.

Hell of a big gas tank. That's 6000 pounds. Is that illegal? Jack.

Standard-capacity!

Only applies to commercial vehicles. Load up your personal vehicle with as much as you want.

I see them driving around like James May in Top Gear. SLOSH SLOSH! "AAHHH MY EYES!!!!" LOL

Song is from Cat People, but this has a lot shorter run-up and. . . . Shoshanna. Sigh.

It has to do with the GVW rating of the van, is it designed to carry that much weight safely.
Assuming each person is 200 lbs, a fully loaded 15 passenger van is carrying 3000lbs payload, 1000 gallons of gas is double that.

And it looks like they found another suspicious van, this one with 660 gallons of gas:

Baltimore County Crews Find Suspicious Van Carrying 660 Gallons Of Fuel

Looks like Baltimore leads the nation in undocumented fuel handling. They should be proud.

Last edited:
I think they just went with pounds because it was a bigger, more sensational number.

Or, it was easier to measure on a tractor-trailer scale than pulling out and counting the gallons one-by-one... [smile]

Back
Top Bottom