Buildings evacuated in downtown Baltimore after van found with 1,000 gallons of gasoline

I'm having a hard time imagining any honest or peaceful purpose for having 6,000lbs of fuel in your van parked in a parking garage. I wonder how they noticed it. Smelled a leak or maybe wondered why the suspension was down on the snubbers.

why are they using pounds as a unit of measurement for gasoline? 6000 pounds is going to be about 1000 gallons of gasoline

They will find a right wing patsy if they don't already have one.
Even though this has a left-winger occupy wall streeter vibe to it.
I’m sure there are about as many right wingers in Baltimore as there are walking around in negative 20 degree temps at 2am in Chicago, wearing Maga hats and carrying around a pre-ties noose!

Iirc anything over 110 gallons requires cdl and hazmat placarding. Going off memory from the mcsa regs last used around 2003. Things may have changed since then.

"and two bins full of possibly-stolen gasoline,"

I guess the owners had to register their gasoline so authorities should able to identify the gasoline by the serial numbers....

How do they know the gas is stolen...

I'm willing to bet that the 6,000 lbs/1,000gal has been exaggerated. The van was reported to be a 15 seat vehicle. Could 100, 10 gal gas cans fit inside? Maybe my perspective is wrong. Someone reported "2 bins of possibly stolen gasoline"
Is a 500 gal container called a bin? No mention of who the plate comes back to......

I'm not jumping to any conclusions of terrorism, probably just someone looking to cash in on the hurricane by price-gouging people for generator fuel, and now they were stuck with it?

I'm not jumping to any conclusions of terrorism, probably just someone looking to cash in on the hurricane by price-gouging people for generator fuel, and now they were stuck with it?

With the van being blacked out (according to the article) with the pumping equipment inside it, was probably some kind of gas theft vehicle, I bet there might even be a hole cut in the bottom of the van, so they can drive it over the fills at gas stations, pop the cap and then start pumping... Then when the idiots stealing the gas figured out they had no easy way to sell the gas, they just ditched the whole thing in that parking garage.

-Mike

I think the legality of gas delivery is an ongoing topic/debate, although there are a number of companies trying anyway. May not want to draw attention though.

From the third paragraph; Several city officials said they were told the van contained approximately 1,000 gallons of gasoline, but a spokesman for the Maryland Department of the Environment later said about 80 gallons of diesel fuel was offloaded from the vehicle.

What's an order of magnitude difference...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom