Building your house in the eye of the hurricane?

allen-1

NES Member
Not sure what kind of bird this is, but it built a nest over the last two weeks on our pin rack. Right now we're only using the lower level for medium bore. In about three weeks we should be using the upper racks as well. Hopefully the eggs have hatched and they've gone by then - because Frank has threatened expulsion of any member who puts a round through the nest.

I got there early yesterday, and mama was actually sitting on the nest when I got there. She flew off and squawked as we set up the pins, and of course stayed away as we shot. She came back when we were done; was sitting on the nest when I left.

pin 1.jpgpin 2.jpg

Birds aren't always very bright. [laugh] One built a nest this year inside a relative's carport very near the back door. We are trying to let the bird do its thing undisturbed and, so far, it hasn't once bothered us. First time it decides to attack any of us, it and its eggs are history. [mg]

Probably a Robin. 12-14 days for incubation then fledge in about another 14-16 days a

We get robin nests in our canopy at my range. There is one that has eggs in it right now. The bird was on it while I was there shooting a .22. It left at some point just before another member showed up with his .50 cal. I was waiting to see how it felt about the pressure from the muzzle brake, but it left before the shooting.

I also had one build a nast on the rear tire of my van when I was out of town for a week. I came back and it was sitting under the rear wheel well.

Stupid creatures, we get them in our rain gutters.

Starlings are worse I think. Invasive little bastards.

I think the nest will only be hit by gunfire if somebody is aiming for it.

Due to poor choice of home location - nature will take it's course and other animals will eat the babies.

As long as nobody intentionally hurts the birds you should have a clear conscience by leaving it in place.

However, if PETA finds out they will close down the range.

It could be worse...

Walter-Meayers-Edwards_National-Geographic_Getty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom