Building my first gun... AR

Hey guys... after lurking around for a few months are reading through some topics... I've decided to build my own AR.

I bought a JD machine tech lower from the Out Door Shop, a new gun dealer in the cape (www.odsguns.com) I've done business with Dan for a while now, snowmobile related, and when I found out he opened a gun shop it was a no brainer! He had some lowers made up with his logo.. so I figured why not.

So far I've only put the lower together.. Looking forward to my mag pul grip and stock coming in next!!

Here's a pic of the progress... and I'll update as it takes shape.

I was thinking of using a Ruger upper... Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 104
Welcome and congrats on your 1st AR build (it will not be the last). You can get some really nice uppers from Ranier Arms or take a look on the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com, you can find some great deals on new or used uppers. All you need to decide is caliber and length (carbine, middy, rifle)

I'm thinking the 16" barrel .223/5.56. And your right.. It's an addicting hobby!

If you are here in MA you can have a 14.5" barrel as long a muzzle brake is pinned and welded to make it 16". Take a look on here, lots of options and some of the them are really top tier.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15completeuppers

I bought a Stag Model 8 and then completely rebuilt it so only the lower is part of the new carbine and it is joined by two other AR-15's and an AR-10 (308)....ran out of room in my safe so will need to sell something to make room for AR-10 #2.

Let us know how the build and range test work out.

Another +1 to Rainier Arms - great place to deal with. Also check out American Weapon Systems - my AR is built from their upper & lower and they are of outstanding quality, plus they are local and a vendor here on NES. Great people there also.

Ok cool! This is my first build.. So It's a major learning curve! Thanks for the advice and please keep it coming!

I bought my upper assembly from shades of gray tactical. they were fast and answered my email promptly. its a del ton 16 inch. heavy barrel. i think it was about $450 shipping and all. luckily i have a friend who took off the front sight and bayonet lug, and changed the a2 flash hider with a legal brake.

Good luck on the build!
I'm doing the same thing. Won a Stag Arms stripped lower on a Facebook contest and I picked it up from my FFL yesterday. Ordered a lower parts kit today...
Let the building commence!

Putting the lower together was cool.. And pretty easy. Its cool knowing you did all your own work. Good luck and have fun. Nice win too!

Putting the lower together was cool.. And pretty easy. Its cool knowing you did all your own work. Good luck and have fun. Nice win too!

Here is my lower finished! Got the parts kit in the mail today, after I got back from the gun store and picked up the magpul stock/spring/buffer. So far so good!

2w6xzkh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom