building my first AR. tools needed?

What LPK did you use?

I have this same issue with my last build. My kit is DPMS. I have not taken the selector back out to inspect, but there is that little extra click in there at about 10:00.

I used a DPMS kit. I can take pics of the selector if you want. There is a small channel for the pin to move through. The channel looks like it has casting marks which make a small ridge for the pin to go over.

I dremeled it out.

do you really need all this fancy stuff? I expressed my concern with regards to all these fancy tools to my brother (101st AB) and he says "They're made to be taken apart and fixed in the shit, all you really need is a leatherman". I'm not quite convinced, but his logic seems sound HAHA.

I installed almost everything for my lower with a hammer, screwdriver, exacto blade and a hex-screwdriver that I used as a roll pin punch.

I'm convinced a leatherman and some common sense will get you pretty close.

I used a DPMS kit. I can take pics of the selector if you want. There is a small channel for the pin to move through. The channel looks like it has casting marks which make a small ridge for the pin to go over.

I dremeled it out.

I installed almost everything for my lower with a hammer, screwdriver, exacto blade and a hex-screwdriver that I used as a roll pin punch.

I'm convinced a leatherman and some common sense will get you pretty close.

You may be able to get away with assembling an AR with sub standard tools, but you will be much better of with quality equipment. I've built three of them and learned from my mistakes.

PS Using a kit will give you a GI trigger which leaves a lot to be desired. After my first build with a kit, I found that I was better off ordering the individual parts as I wanted a custom trigger and other parts not available in kits.

PS Using a kit will give you a GI trigger which leaves a lot to be desired. After my first build with a kit, I found that I was better off ordering the individual parts as I wanted a custom trigger and other parts not available in kits.

Was it cheaper as well? Parts kits run from 60-100 nowadays.

I have the same thing with two different lower kits, one a DPMS and the other a CMMG. As for tools, I've built 3 lowers in the past couple weeks with a vise grip for the roll pins, some blue tape, small hammer, and a backwards razor blade for the detents. Easy as could be.

What LPK did you use?

I have this same issue with my last build. My kit is DPMS. I have not taken the selector back out to inspect, but there is that little extra click in there at about 10:00.

please expand on this - start a new trigger thread if needed

You don't save a lot and it is a PITA as you have to order all the small parts, but it depends on what you want. I wanted a custom trigger, pistol grip and buttstock. I also wanted custom trigger and hammer pins (JP pins are a great deal at less than $10). I also never bother to install the stock pivot pin; I use a custom unit that has the retetntion detents built in. I just couldn't see buying another kit as the unwanted parts were piling up.

If you really know what you are doing you can modify the stock trigger as Dan S has done. I can't so I went with an after market trigger that requires some metal removal to get the timing right, but isn't too much work.

My two choices are JP and Accuracy Speaks, both are single stage and come in just under four pounds with a crisp break. The JP is a deal at just over $100 and has an overtravel screw. The only drawback is that this kit uses a light hammer spring to lower the trigger pull weight. While completely reliable with centerfire ammo, this trigger will not reliably ignite 22LR. The Accuracy Speaks trigger is more pricy at $185 and has no overtravel screw. It has the advantage of using a GI weight hammer spring while still giving you a light crisp pull. I used this one on a lower I assembled to go with my Model 1 Sales 22LR upper and wasn't disappointed; the combo is 100% reliable with the right ammo. There are many other kits on the market but these are the only two I have had any real success with. I tried a Jard kit which worked well in a friends AR I built, but the one I installed in mine was awfully creepy.

One warning, I would avoid KNS Precision hammer and trigger pins. They cost over twice as much as the JP pins and are inferior. After about 15 thousand rounds the KNS pins were so badly worn they needed replacement.

PS Prices quoted were dealer cost from Brownells

Thanks Gammon

Now I'm even more lost than before to follow up post [smile] but I see what you're getting at:
It's about doing a little extra to get exactly what you want/need without waste.
I can appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom