• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building an AR in MA

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Please forgive me the newbie question...

Building an AR myself seems like a lot of fun. But I am not sure how the MA legal process around this will work. I know the rifle would have to meet certain criteria to avoid being in violation of the assault weapons ban, but there are other legal aspects of this as well.

At what point would I have to register the rifle with the state? Can I submit an FA-10 myself for that? How can I assign my own built rifle a serial number; would the lower usually have a pre-engraved serial number? Other legal pitfalls to watch out for?

I have an MA unrestricted class A license.

Thanks for any input here.

unless you're buying an 80% lower, it will already have a serial number on it. a stripeed lower unless bought FTF will need to go through an FFL. they'll file a 4473.
You're supposed to file an E-FA10 when it is capable of firing. I filed mine when it was completed.

obligatory IANAL

Unless you are building from an 80% receiver, you aren't really building anything, you are assembling a rifle. Stripped lowers already have a serial number assigned and stamped by the manufacturer.

Please forgive me the newbie question...

Building an AR myself seems like a lot of fun. But I am not sure how the MA legal process around this will work. I know the rifle would have to meet certain criteria to avoid being in violation of the assault weapons ban, but there are other legal aspects of this as well.

At what point would I have to register the rifle with the state? Can I submit an FA-10 myself for that? How can I assign my own built rifle a serial number; would the lower usually have a pre-engraved serial number? Other legal pitfalls to watch out for?

I have an MA unrestricted class A license.

Thanks for any input here.

My suggestion is that you read a few of the 1,000,000+ threads that cover your questions in excruciating detail and then ask if you're unclear on something.

Back
Top Bottom