• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building an AR 10 / scout rifle duo

So perhaps this discussion has happened before and I just couldn't find it.
Ive been shooting for as long as I can remember and was never very interested in the AR platform. I'm more of a one shot one kill type of a shootist. But with all the liberal hatred over "assault rifles" I think it's time that I build one. I have also really like the idea of a Scout rifle ever since Jeff Cooper came up with the idea. And I think it will be a great project for my son and I to do together.
My plan is to get an AR-10 80% lower of the DPMS style. Then use one of my Remington 700 and rebarrel it to 308. I could then parkerize both actions and give them matching furniture making sure to give the Remington a stock that accepts detachable mags.
Has anyone done a project such as this? Are there any problems I should be looking for?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Remi700 is a bolt action, AR10 is not, are you trying to combine them somehow? There are stocks for Remi that would allow detachable mags, I think.

A rem 700 in 308 with a detachable mag? Sounds good to me! I'm not sure if it would be light like a scout rifle is normally, but that's ok.

Not sure if anyone makes a AR-10 mag conversion for the Rem 700. First issue I can think of would be the mag release. Most people run the AICS bottom metal, and use AICS mags.

Not sure if anyone makes a AR-10 mag conversion for the Rem 700. First issue I can think of would be the mag release. Most people run the AICS bottom metal, and use AICS mags.
Brownells makes a product that replaces the hinged floorplate with a magazine well. But it does not State what kind of magazine accepts. Could be M14

Brownells makes a product that replaces the hinged floorplate with a magazine well. But it does not State what kind of magazine accepts. Could be M14

Maybe modified M14 mags. I think the kit you're talking about takes the AICS mags. There is certainly alot of ways to make this work, can't wait to see how it works out for you.

It does sound like an interesting project. Not being a very handy person, with no build skills, I just went with the M1A platform, and a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308. The Mossberg accepts M14 mags.

Looking forward to progress reports on your builds!

It does sound like an interesting project. Not being a very handy person, with no build skills, I just went with the M1A platform, and a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308. The Mossberg accepts M14 mags.

Looking forward to progress reports on your builds!
I have a friend who loves his M1a. Certainly a rifle to be respected.
What do you think of the Mossberg? Nobody I know has one yet.

There was a AR-10 lower group buy a while ago that took g-3 mags.
There may be some around.

I built an AR10 that uses Magpul AR type mags. Not a huge fan of the 'rock in' (M1A) mag design. It's a new motor skill that doesn't translate to any other gun I shoot. I've seen people do fast exchanges with an AK, I'm just as fast with the AR design without a huge amount of practice.

You do you. It's your gun. Make it all yours. I'd never look down on it as long as it shoots good.

If I remember right, the original FN? Cooper Scout rifle has detachable mags. I shot one, it's so light it is actually unpleasant to shoot in .308. It's not painful, just unpleasant for what it is. The built in bipod is cool though, nothing hangs out when you're not using it.

If I remember right, the original FN? Cooper Scout rifle has detachable mags. I shot one, it's so light it is actually unpleasant to shoot in .308. It's not painful, just unpleasant for what it is. The built in bipod is cool though, nothing hangs out when you're not using it.

Steyr.

If you are hard set on your Rem700, I would ditch the mag commonality idea. Double stack PMAGs and Magpul AICS mags are both cheap enough that it's not really worth worrying about. If you are restocking the 700 anyways, the Magpul Hunter stock is easily upgraded to take AICS pattern mags.

I have wanted a scout rifle for years, the only one that came close to offering what I wanted was the Ruger, but I didn't want to pay that price. I ordered a HOWA 1500 barreled action from brownells (cheap!) that can be configured as a scout rifle, but to be honest, it's 2018. The low power variable optics on the market are so good that I don't see the need for the long eye relief scope setup. I currently have a 3-15x scope on that rifle now because I want to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it, but it will get a 1-8x scope when all is said and done. That will get me all the speed and both eye open shooting on 1 power up close and the ability to make shots out to 600+ without breaking a sweat.

+1 on the M14 mags being a little awkward. In competition, I often lose a second or two during rapids when futzing around with these 'rock in' mags. I'm actually faster with a good stripper clip in a bolt action. Food for thought regarding stripper clips as an option...

G-3 mags. I'll look into that. Thanks!

It was an interesting idea, but unless someone has done more product development since CMMG was trying the G3 mags, don't. Some of the tail chasing with the G3s is here. I think where they went wrong was not designing a mag catch made for that mag. Somewhere low on my project list is milling out the existing mag catch notch to something more appropriate. At the rate I'm going, that'll be years.

Slightly higher on the priority list, I'm building a Scout on a Savage Axis action. The easy way out is to buy the Ruger Scout instead. I just have an unfortunate addiction to projects. 700 build is certainly doable - Scout Rifle Forum.

The movie was really funny, and captured an important part of American counter-culture beautifully. And racist. Very racist.

Steyr.

If you are hard set on your Rem700, I would ditch the mag commonality idea. Double stack PMAGs and Magpul AICS mags are both cheap enough that it's not really worth worrying about. If you are restocking the 700 anyways, the Magpul Hunter stock is easily upgraded to take AICS pattern mags.

I have wanted a scout rifle for years, the only one that came close to offering what I wanted was the Ruger, but I didn't want to pay that price. I ordered a HOWA 1500 barreled action from brownells (cheap!) that can be configured as a scout rifle, but to be honest, it's 2018. The low power variable optics on the market are so good that I don't see the need for the long eye relief scope setup. I currently have a 3-15x scope on that rifle now because I want to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it, but it will get a 1-8x scope when all is said and done. That will get me all the speed and both eye open shooting on 1 power up close and the ability to make shots out to 600+ without breaking a sweat.
So, the reasoning behind my desire to use a Rem action is that I have two Remingtons chambered in 22-250 and one shoots a bit better than the other. The one being a 725 with a Shilen barrel and STOUT stock that just nestles into the sandbags like a baby on it's momma's teat.
The other being a stock 700 hbar with bdl stock. Nice, but definitely underutilized.
So I have a donor action and nobody makes a better action than Remington. And everybody makes aftermarket parts for Remington. And my budget is not unlimited but I am intrigued by the HOWA idea. I may run the #s on that to see if it works.
As for the scout scope, I had the same thought as you in that I don't see a benefit to the extended eye relief for my purposes. Having a bit more magnification on the bolt gun will act to support the lower power on the AR. When on patrol. Hunting zombies.

It was an interesting idea, but unless someone has done more product development since CMMG was trying the G3 mags, don't. Some of the tail chasing with the G3s is here. I think where they went wrong was not designing a mag catch made for that mag. Somewhere low on my project list is milling out the existing mag catch notch to something more appropriate. At the rate I'm going, that'll be years.

Slightly higher on the priority list, I'm building a Scout on a Savage Axis action. The easy way out is to buy the Ruger Scout instead. I just have an unfortunate addiction to projects. 700 build is certainly doable - Scout Rifle Forum.
Yeah, looks like the G3 is intended for the FAL platform? I am trying to minimize my cobbing of stuff.
As for the Axis, people seem to be really loving on those for build projects. I was wanting to go Rem because I have one already to donate to the project. And they are better, IMHO.
Thanks for the link to the Scout Forum. I'm sure it will be a great asset to my project.

+1 on the M14 mags being a little awkward. In competition, I often lose a second or two during rapids when futzing around with these 'rock in' mags. I'm actually faster with a good stripper clip in a bolt action. Food for thought regarding stripper clips as an option...
To be honest, until very recently I never thought I'd have any interest in an autoloader. I have many hundreds of stripper clips for my SKSs loaded and ready to go and I am fairly proficient in their use.
I also have the 5 round clips for my Swedish Mauser. I do love that rifle.
The goal I am going for is to have a few people to be out and about and share resources quickly. Mag compatibility would be a big plus.
And I am looking for a fun project for my son and I to do over the winter when the days get short and the nights are long.

This is the exact action I got on sale this past summer for $230. Bought it when they had a $30 off $300 orders coupon, so I added a 20moa base and other odds and ends to make up the $300.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ction-prod113618.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=HOWA

I have a 30cal can, so threaded muzzle was important, and I don't like overly long guns. I would have liked a 16" barrel, but 18.5" isn't bad considering what I paid for it. This barrel is actually already drilled and tapped for a forward iron sight. It comes with brass screws in the threaded holes that sit flush with the barrel.

I have yet to shoot it for groups with good ammo, but it is one hell of a value. Recently they had the Howa heavy barrel 308 action for $199, I should have ordered one and had it cut and threaded for a short precision gun build.

Fritz, did you ever read Fritz the Cat comics? I liked Fritz when I was a kid.... Why did I type this?
Boy did I. R Crumb had a serious influence on my younger self. My grandmother had an apartment above a head shop in Torrington and I would go down and hang around reading Fritz and Mr Natural while my mother got stoned.
The 70's were a wonderful time.

Back
Top Bottom