• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a Semi auto uzi the semi hard way...

I am not going to duplicate some of the stuff that beaker put in his build, soo without further delay...

I built mine using a receiver weld kit from D and D sales. Boris and i welded the kit together.

I started by attaching the forward hand guard and using that as a guide to weld on the posts
IMAG0531.jpg

Pretty terrible welds, but i wanted to raise the weld up so i could grind it flush, mostly because i cannot do anything the easy way lol
IMAG0532.jpg

Added on the trigger group lug
IMAG0533.jpg

A pic of the blocking bar that made me hate my life, we had to enlarge the weld holes to get good weld penetration but it is in there now.
IMAG0535.jpg

IMAG0536.jpg

Finally all ground down and painted
IMAG0537.jpg

Another view, that brass piece is what i used as a spacer, as the pin hole is 9mm and using the SMG lower i needed to step it down to 8mm
IMAG0538.jpg

A look at my fire control group, you can see the only shiny part is the blocking bar to keep the gun from being switched into full auto, thus keeping me from going to federal pound me in the ass prison. also not all receivers require you to change to a semi auto trigger group
IMAG0541.jpg

And finally the completed product
IMAG0543.jpg

I have more to add, a few things i learned along the way, and a few mistakes i made, but i have company and will come back on tomorrow to add.

Edit: The things i learned along the way

It is far easier and cheaper if you plan on just building one kit to buy it complete with a 16 inch barrel and receiver. I spent way more than i had to but i also got enough parts to build 2 guns. I want to have a IMI lower on one, which that will have the police style stock and a German one that will eventually go on this receiver.

Building your own receiver makes it very easy to be 922r compliant, however check with the receiver manufacturer to see if you need a semi auto sear. You may need it for the gun to function, not just for 922r.

Know what size pin hole your receiver has if you plan on using a SMG lower. there are companies that make a bushing you can install, but finding out you need it when you want to fire the gun in a few days is a killer.

I wish i took pictures of it but installing the wood stock permanently is pretty easy, i did mine using by making the quick release button inoperable and hammering on the stock bracket. It is never coming off. If you want to be able to push the button still, you can also drill out the alignment stud on the stock bracket and use the original folding stock hardware. My bracket was slightly damaged and i opted for the first route. I just hope it never needs to come off, because i would probably have to cut the bracket.

I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
Do you mind giving a price estimate to complete?
There are two answers to this, there is the easy way ordering a non welded receiver and buying a cheap parts kit that can be done for about 500 or less. Or there are places like D and D who sell everything you need for about 650. Its all about how much time you want to spend looking for deals on parts.
The semi versions fire from a closed bolt?
Correct. The ATF considers the open bolt to be a machine gun.
Minus the welding, how would you rate the build skill wise? Looks easier than an AK build.
It is a very easy build, even with minimal tools. If you do not have access to a welder you can order a nodak receiver that comes assembled for you.

having a TIG (WIG) for welding would make a huge difference over MIG and less grind time, never mind that pesky blocking bar.

Awesome build, looks really nice, ok, let's see some holy paper and range report! [mg]

Testing is going well, she had a few hickups at first but has been running good.

Edit: after 350 rounds of a mix of Winchester white box, Remington UMC, UMC target, and American eagle. I am pretty satisfied that the gun works, and i am really happy it isn't picky about ammo.

Last edited:
nodak welded receivers are sold out as of 10/27/11. ffffuuuuuu... [sad2] more importantly for others interested they say the price is going up as well.

someone lazy like me may have been tempted to throw down their credit card. some day!

Yup. I'm on the waiting list. Looks like about four more weeks... price is $220 for the jig welded receiver, $20 more than buying the parts so not a bad deal. They charge you when they ship it. ;)

nodak welded receivers are sold out as of 10/27/11. ffffuuuuuu... [sad2] more importantly for others interested they say the price is going up as well.

someone lazy like me may have been tempted to throw down their credit card. some day!

Sent from my Droid

Back
Top Bottom