• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

building a savage rifle

I have in my collection a Savage model 110 chambered in 300 win mag. Im looking to install a bull barrel, muzzle brake, and an adjustable stock for the primary build. Glass is later on down the road, im looking into some Sworovski stuff for it.

Help me with some ideas guys on barrel length and material, considering the JP enterprises Recoil Eliminator for the brake but im all ears. Stocks MassMark told me to get a McMillan, and he also liked the idea of a Bell and Carlson stock. But i am open to ideas on everything!

Dom

So many options. Have you considered a chassis? XLR is one name that comes to mind. They are expensive but have the bottom metal built in for magazines and they eliminate the need for bedding.
I would check out the forum at Sniper's Hide for build ideas.

For barrels, check Northland Shooting Supply - I put a Shilen in 223 from him on a Savage 12 that I'm really happy with. Can't remember if he can get them threaded for a brake, but it would'nt hurt to ask - he's a good guy. In 300 Win I'd pick 26", but that'd be heavy in a bull barrel - field rifle or bench/range?

It's in a Stockade Gun Stocks Woodchuck, which was also excellent. They have an adjustable cheek rest option as well. Bell and Carlson's Duramax is a decent low budget stock for Savages - it'll need a bit of bedding and clearance work (and conversion to left hand if it's on my rifle [wink]), but it's better than the Savage synthetic stock. And cheap - did I mention it's cheap? I haven't built on a centerfeed action yet, so I'm not sure about which stocks work with that magazine type. Check with the Savageshooters.com bunch - someone there will have the answers.

Good to meet you in person at Lee, BTW. Always good to put a face to a name!

Likewise Kevin! i like all the guys ive met thus far. This will be a fixed position (read punching paper from a bench, or from a bi pod prone) gun. not a field gun, therefor the heavy barrel is ideal [smile] Mark mentioned you had some experience in getting those barrel nuts off, mine has a smooth barrel nut. Mine has a blind magazine, does that matter Kev?

Dom

I like simple with a good pistol grip shape. To me that is the biggest go or no go is how my hand grabs the stock and what the shape of it makes my wrist do. After seeing another members stock crack, i would want to do some research on how they are built so that it is stable over time.

This is a bell & carlson Medalist that I like a lot.

Bell-Carlson-Tactical-Medalist-Stock-on-Remington-700-LA.jpg

I designed this fully aluminum stock for my savage, but it was more of a pipe dream at the time. At some point it would be cool to turn it into reality. It is a take off of my Walther KK200 target stock.

Edit: apparently companies make these now. All my original ideas from many years ago have all been built.

savagestockassem2.jpg

Last edited:
Blind magazine is fine, the issue is which feed system your rifle has. Savage started using a center feed setup in the last few years, and they use different stocks than their older staggered feed. There are conversion parts out there to use the Accuracy Intl. mags with Savages, but they aren't cheap. If I were going to go detachable mag, I'd seriously consider one of those chassis stocks rather than putting the mag kit on an aftermarket stock.

Savagefeeds.jpg

There are more aftermarket stocks available for the stagger feeds because they've been around longer, but more companies are coming on line with centerfeed stocks now. I don't have current info on that, as I don't have any of the newer centerfeed Savages yet, but the Savageshooters.com forum will.

That Medalists looks good to me, too. Add a Karsten cheekrest, and you'd be set.

The smooth barrel nut can go two ways: you can cut a notch or two in it to remove it, and replace it with the notched style nut, or you can get a smooth nut wrench from Sharp Shooter Supply.

thanks for the pointers Kev! that stock looks sick matt, i am considering an actual chassis for the gun instead of a stock. My friend Danny is a miracle worker with metals and showed interest in building a steel chassis.

Dom

Gunshack.com has McGowen 300 WinMag barrels on sale: http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=301. I haven't tried a McGowen barrel myself, but they seem to have a good reputation every time I hear them mentioned.

Gunshack also runs group buys of Savage barrels through ER Shaw, so their worth keeping an eye on if you're a Savage builder.

We should compare our builds once we are done! I would love to see what you are going to do or what kind of look you want. Im going very tactical/competition. Bull barrel, brake, chassis.

Back
Top Bottom