• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a race gun - Glock 17 build thread

you might find the 3.5moa sts a little small for an open gun

Possibly, but the 7 MOA was $30 more and i'm not really competing with it so I don't think it will be a huge issue for me. I've rested it atop my 34 at "shooting" distance and it looks OK to my eye.

I may take the second one and mount it on my rifle if I don't mount it on my pistol. It would be great on a stock Ruger 10/22 for plate shooting.

I am impressed with the project so far man. Going to be a fun rig to shoot.
I like your photo area too - nice and clean.
Keep up the good work.

Is the 100mm lens a macro lens?
You said the 430 flash is on camera bouncing off the reflector, but I think you meant to say it's off camera, right?

Is the 100mm lens a macro lens?
You said the 430 flash is on camera bouncing off the reflector, but I think you meant to say it's off camera, right?

Yep Macro L series. I wrote it correctly. It is on camera left. Meaning the flash is to the camera's left side. I can see how it could be misunderstood though.

Gun looks awesome! Nice job! [cheers]

Thanks all! I'm really looking forward to finishing this up and getting some video of it.

Wow! This has been a fun build! Everything came together wonderfully and I am really looking forward to getting it to the range this weekend. The slide looks great! Finish is the DLC coating which is very matte looking. Now that it is "finished" I think the only thing left to do is a stipple job. I was hesitant because it is permanent and I've never done it before, but after doing my new M&P tonight I think it will really give it that custom look i'm after over the grip tape.

Without further ado....feast your eyes on this beast!

8619c7d9.jpg

d3574d4d.jpg

e912e34f.jpg

8088c646.jpg

And my first stipple job:

6d84ec8b.jpg

8d4b6f7b.jpg

Nice job again, looks like you did quite a job on it. Get her out to range and doing what it should be doing instead of just looking all pretty.

Not a fan of Glocks but that build might change my mind. Very nice work on both the Glock and M&P.

[bow]

Thanks guys.

The stippling on the M&P is not for everyone. I actually just removed the finger humps and stippled the grip on my Glock 34 and it feels really good. Considering doing the same to the 17.

I shot the 17 today. It was good, but very different using a red dot. Going to take some getting used to as far as aiming and follow through go. I need to change out the spring on the guide rod to something a bit heavier. The 12lb on it sometimes wasn't enough to bring the slide all the way into battery.

Nice job. You need to bring that thing to Walls of Steel in RI and kill some plates with it in Open class. [grin]

-Mike

Sorry for the dumb question, but what are the slide cuts for? Heat dissipation?

See the answers below. I basically did it because I liked the look of it.

I've seen them present when the barrel has a compensator, but yours doesn't.

Looks and weight reduction

Less weight in the slide means less recoil.

I actually shot bowling pins today at a shoot and it was fun. Very different then using iron sights. Not worse or better, just different. Will take some getting used to but she shot good.

does Glockworx refinish the slide after they cut the slot for the optic or do you have to have it refinished on your own?

Either. They finished mine, but another person I know got it back unfinished and sent it to his place of choice.

Well if you check here you can see the different costs of things:

http://www.glockworx.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3699

The front cuts were one price, slide cutting for the STS another, and the coating another. Lets just say it was more than I paid for the used gun itself. I still think it's worth it.

I've got maybe 200 rounds through it and it hasn't missed a beat. I did swap to a 3lb striker spring because I was getting too many light strikes at first. I also switched back to the stock guiderod/spring until I get a heavier spring. The 12lb I had in there wasn't reliably bringing the gun back into battery each and every time. Going to try a 14 or 15 lb spring.

Also, the finish on the outside still looks fine. The inside of the slide is starting to wear from use. Particularly where the slide rails rub the frame rails and the barrel hood area. This is pretty normal. I don't think the finish is as tough as the standard Glock finish, but it is pretty tough.

You can see the difference in coatings between the 17 and my 34. The 17 in person is a more matte color than the 34. I'm not sure, but I think if I used a holster the finish would wear quicker than the original. I currently use the 34 in a kydex holster and the wear is minimal if any. I'm going to see how long this lasts and then if needed possibly try another coating.

35686c8e.jpg

2d593303.jpg

Last edited:
What ammo/primers are you using when you are getting light strikes? I had the same problem using CCI primers. The first time I was using the CCI primers was at the Area 7 championship this September and I didn't know their primers were known to be hard. I had 1-2 misfires at almost every stage I think... Anyway, now I am using Federal primers, and I have not had any issues. The problem is I have almost 10,000 CCI small pistol primers I would like to use, but I won't trust them in my G34. I guess I can use them for practice. I have also thought about getting a different firing pin since that might help on the hard primers.

I'm just running WWB through it. I had the 2lb striker spring and once I switched to the 3lb it hasn't happened since.

As long as you got it to work, that's the important part. If you reload and want the lighter trigger pull by using the 2# spring, try Federal primers and see how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom