• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a race gun - Glock 17 build thread

So first off let me say this. I am not building this firearm to compete in any specifc class. I am running a Glock 34 for my local plate shooting and have decided I wanted to build a custom Glock race gun, just because. If it fits in any class then cool, otherwise i'll plate shoot and use it for fun at the range.

I'm going to be keeping a running list of parts in this first post. As a photographer, you can expect a lot of high quality photos as the build progresses.

Lets start:

I picked up a used Glock 17 Gen 3 this past weekened. I scored it for a great deal at $389 + tax at a great gun shop. It is like new with all original parts and case included. Well I got the base firearm so lets get ordering parts.

Going into this build, I want an accurate, low recoiling, fast firearm. I want a smoother, lighter trigger than factory. Most of all, I want the Glock reliability to remain intact. Because of this, and the fact I am using factory 9mm ammo, I have decided to not run a comp. I may try one later on, but for now i'm going to leave that alone.

Upon getting the Glock 17 I knew it was time to start ordering parts and getting the complete vision together. For everything so far, i've ordered from Glockworx.com and Glockstore.com. This past weekend I spent a couple hours browsing online for what I want the gun to look like and what parts I want to put into this build to go with my ultimate vision.

Trigger - I've decided to go with a ZEV Tech Fulcrum trigger from Glockworx. With adjustable overtravel and reset, as well as a smoother, lighter trigger pull it seemed like a no brainer. Ordered with red safety and black trigger.

Guiderod - After reading about guiderods, i knew a Zev Tech Tungsten guiderod was the way to go. It is around 50% heavier than stock, so it should help to reduce muzzle rize. I've coupled this with a 12lb recoil spring.

Magwell - To help make reloads easier and faster i've opted for a Zev Tech Speed Feed Magwell in Black with a large insert. This will not only make mag changes quicker, but should also help add to the weight to tame recoil.

Barrel - Since not going with a comp, I wanted a good, well known barrel that offers accuracy. KKM was the obvious choice. I ordered up a KKM Match drop-in barrel. Not only should it give me the accuracy that i'm looking for, but will really offset the build with it's stainless steel finish.

Sights - I was debating what to do here and figured I'd go all out and run a reflex sight. After reading reviews, i've decided to go with a C-More STS 7 MOA red dot. I've ordered the dovetail mount as well, but it will not be used. Why you ask? Just wait.....

Grip - I've ordered Falcon grip to really get a solid hold when firing. This may not stay on very long though as I have plans for the grip frame.

Custom work -Slide - After seeing a forum members custom slide work from Glockworx.com i've decided to send out my slide for some custom milling. I will be getting the C-More sight cut on the slide which will allow the dot to sit lower, more inline with where the front sight would be. I will also be getting some really sweet milling on the front of the slide. Not only will it allow you to see more of the barrel, but it will also lighten the slide slightly.

Grip frame - I plan to also get the grip frame modified by Glockworx as well. I plan to have the following done:

Double undercut trigger guard
360 Standard Stipple grip
Round trigger guard
Remove finger bumps/grooves
Reduce angle of backstrap
Reduce girth (maybe)

As soon as I start getting parts in, I will start documenting the build with lots of photos and info. This is the biggest firearm project i've taken on besides normal cleaning of firearms [rofl]

Hopefully everything goes smoothly and no issues arrise.

Hope you all enjoy the build.

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing this come together. I too have a G17 but all the work was done by Custom and not myself.

I drummed up what had been done to the one I got here is the information:

Glock internals including 3.5lb connector, ext slide stop,also has aftermarket extra power trigger return spring,under power FPS spring,ext slide lock, FPS radius polished trigger bar also polished. Slide has had Glock roll marks removed and front & rear of slide beveled & coated in OD Cerakote.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/lsbbigdog/2011-02-04164854.jpg?t=1304467876

Last edited:
You might want to check out SJC Guns since they specialize in Glocks and have several high profile shooters use their guns (Jessie Harrison and Dave Sevigny). They sell everything from parts (their comps and magwells are very nice) to complete custom kits. They also do gunsmithing. I have heard a lot of good things about them, and they stand by their work.
http://stores.sjcguns.com/StoreFront.bok

Thanks guys!

I've heard of SJC and have checked out some of their stuff.

Ray Wong of Glockworx just emailed me back with the price for the cnc'ing and coating of the slide. Just waiting to hear back from him and then i'm probably shipping him the slide this week. I was told turnaround is 45 days for milling and the coating.

I can't from work, but will post a photo of the milling i'm getting. It looks sick! Hopefully as good in person.

I also think i'm going to hold off on the frame mods until after I shoot it with the slide work.

EDIT: Just got email from Ray with the invoice to ship the slide. Also, got email confirmation from them that my parts (trigger, magwell, guiderod, spring) shipped today :)

Last edited:
If you are using an optical sight, you might as well add a comp; optics will put you in open with the race guns.

I'm going to test it without first and then maybe with depending on how it shoots without.

Tonight I received my parts from Glockworx. I had some time and I was able to take some photos of my progresss.

First, here is the stock Glock 17 frame that I am starting from. I plan to keep any parts removed for spares.

Glock-1.jpg

This is the ZEV Tech Speed Feed magwell. I ordered it in black aluminum with a large brass insert. This setup is heavier than the 6.7 oz Dawsom Precision magwell on my Glock 34. The black finish really goes well with the Glock frame.

Glock-2.jpg

Mounts using two screws and really helps with mag changes. Install time took maybe a total of 2 or 3 minutes.

Glock-4.jpg

Glock-6.jpg

Next, we have the ZEV Tech Tungsten Guiderod, 12lb spring, and their spring retaining washer. Easily put together. I may opt to put a dab of blue loctite on the screw so it doesn’t loosen. Knowing how there is constant pressure on it I don’t think it is absolutely necessary.

Glock-7.jpg

Glock-8.jpg

The part I was looking to install the most is the Glockworx Drop-In Fulcrum Trigger. I ordered mine with a red safety. Included with the trigger are two striker springs (2 lb & 3 lb), Trigger Spring, and Titanium Firing Pin Safety with spring.

According to Glockworx the trigger pull is adjustable from 2 - 6 lbs. I found when installing the trigger assembly the pull was definitely lighter and crisper than the stock 5.5 lb pull, but it didn’t feel like a 2 lb pull. Also, out of the package the pre-travel and over-travel were still pretty long. I heated up the two allen screws as it was noted in the instructions and tightened the screws about 1/2 turn which shortened both. Now, the trigger has just a hint of pre-travel and the over-travel has been shortened as well. After adjusting the set screws you need to install the trigger and make sure everything works as it should. I wanted to see how much the other springs that were included lightened the trigger, so I decided to install them in my Glock 34 slide as a test. My 17 slide has already been sent out for milling and coating. After installing the 2 lb Striker spring and Titanium Firing Pin Safety and spring, it definitely lightened the pull even more. I would assume the extra trigger spring included is also lighter than the one it came installed with, but I haven’t installed that yet. I plan to install the 2 lb Striker Spring and the Ti Firing Pin Safety in the 17 slide. I will then test for reliabily.

Glock-9.jpg

Glock-10.jpg

Glock-12.jpg

Glock-14.jpg

Upon finishing all this tonight I think it is really coming together nicely. While working on this project i’ve found out what each part does, how to take it all apart, and how to reinstall everything. Glockworx sent the parts quickly, packaged well, and everything I ordered was there.

I can’t wait until my order from Glockstore arrives as i’m looking forward to continuing the build and documenting it as I go.

Any questions, tips, ideas, or comments are always appreciated.

Glock-13.jpg

Great shots. Probably a stupid question, but is that zip tie a permanent piece from the manufacturer?

http://stores.sjcguns.com/-strse-67/SJC-Convertable-Compensator-Mount/Detail.bok

This might be a quick and easy way to go back and forth between Open and Limited.
Dots melted into the slide are more difficult to track and reliability is always an issue

What do you mean by melted onto the slide?

Great shots. Probably a stupid question, but is that zip tie a permanent piece from the manufacturer?

Thanks. The zip tie was just holding the connector in place during shipping.

Probably another one of those new-fangled safety devices: There's no chance of an AD, since you actually need to cut off the ziptie and put the gun together before addressing the bad guy.

Thank you!

My setup for those photos was a chair with a white sheet over it and a Canon 1D Mark IV w/ 24 1.4L II and a 100 2.8L Macro. 580EXII flash bouncing it from the left and a 430EXII on the right shooting straight up to the white ceiling. Shot in RAW and did quick edits in Lightroom 3.5.

If you don't mind me asking, what kindof $$$ is this adding up to?

I'm keeping tabs of it all in a spreadsheet on my Macbook. I think with the custom slide work and grip work the total is over $1.5k, but i'm not 100% sure.

Probably another one of those new-fangled safety devices: There's no chance of an AD, since you actually need to cut off the ziptie and put the gun together before addressing the bad guy.
Don't let the state house hear about that, it will be their next idea for the children

http://stores.sjcguns.com/-strse-67/SJC-Convertable-Compensator-Mount/Detail.bok

This might be a quick and easy way to go back and forth between Open and Limited.
Dots melted into the slide are more difficult to track and reliability is always an issue

I have had no problems tracking the dot in my "slide riders" and actually prefer this configuration to sights mounted higher on frame mounts. Reliability is a big problem, which is why I have given up on slide mounted electronic sights.

Just a bit of an update. I'm still waiting for my order from Glockstore. Ordered on 10/28/2011, followed up a week later and there was an issue with inventory. Supposedly order would ship on 11/7/2011. Followed up Tuesday, 11/8/2011 and my C-More STS sight was out of stock and is expected in on 11/10/2011 so order should be shipped the end of this week. They said they will upgrade me to two days shipping no charge as I had paid for 3 day shipping.

No big deal, just wish I would get the stuff. Part of the order has my sight tools so I can swap sights on my Glock 34.

Speaking of the 34, I shot my first plate shoot locally last night with it. Mods to the 34 are:

Falcon grip tape
Dawson ICE 6.7oz Magwell
Glockworx Competition trigger spring, striker spring, and plunger spring

I was in the A class (6 rounds, then A, B, C classes based on performance) for the final rounds. Only one guy beat me all night. He just so happens to be very, very fast compared to the others and i've heard he rarely gets beat if at all. He was running a custom Limcat 2011.

I tied with him my first round. We had to do it again as it was too close to call. Unfortunately, I didn't beat him all night, but other than that I did awesome! I came close a few times and the last round I was ahead, but had trouble with the last plate. I am very happy. For no actually plate shooting or competition experience I felt I did well. I only ever target shoot. It is just a fun night, no real prizes or anything, but you can't help but compete seeing as you go head to head.

Going to be checking out IDPA locally as well.

Stay tuned for more photos, updates, and info once I get my order in.

Last edited:
Which one? The 34...yes. Not the 17. :)

The weighted magwell would be a problem.

1. Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL Divisions

The following modifications are NOT ALLOWED IN ANY DIVISION unless otherwise specifically mentioned.

Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes, but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

Oh yeah, I know that. I just read the rules yesterday and understand my Truglo sights, spring mods, and grip tape are fine, but the magwell and weight needs to go on the 34.

Alright it's update time! First I want to show my "setup". I've been posting this on multiple sites and it seems some people want to know what gear i'm using to take my photos.

First off, i'm using a thick paper for the background. As you can see in the photo below I have a Canon 430EXII bouncing from camera left off a white reflector. I'm using a 1D Mark IV body with both a 24mm f/1.4L II and 100 f/2.8L lens. On camera, i'm bouncing a 580EXII flash towards the right wall.

I'm shooting in RAW and importing into Adobe Lightroom, doing minor tweaks and then exporting as a JPEG.

35e91160.jpg

Lets begin:

Got the Falcon grip tape on.

b77d0248.jpg

a46cac22.jpg

The new KKM Match Grade drop-in barrel. I can't wait to test this out. Quality looks very good. Looking at the twist rate compared to the stock barrel it is definitely fewer twists.

174a6734.jpg

fe53efae.jpg

The optics for the build. C-More STS 3.5 MOA. Looks great. So much so I've placed an order for another one as spare and/or for another gun.

0a9f1ba4.jpg

e6ff31d8.jpg

1019598d.jpg

bcbd3929.jpg

Now the only thing i'm waiting for is the slide to be completed and returned from Glockworx. Then install everything, sight it in, and test it out!

While we wait, here are my new Truglo TFO sights on my Glock 34 plate/carry gun. Also you see my new, and first, IDPA rig from Blade-tech. Only thing not shown is the Wilderness Tactical Easy-Fit Instructor belt.

34651e1e.jpg

89b21128.jpg

e67d1ea6.jpg

7c2d2ffe.jpg

b476adaa.jpg

e81a4883.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom