• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a Kentucky blackpowder pistol

I have wanted to build a blackpowder rifle for a long time, so to take a first step I got a kit for a Kentucky pistol. Not too many parts, it's supposed to be a pretty easy build.

KentuckyPistol_parts.jpg

Has anyone built one of these? Any gotchas to watch out for?

A few years ago I built a St. Louis Hawken kit. I didn't go the traditional route with a browned barrel and dark stained stock. I went blued/blonde. The most time consuming part of the build was finishing the stock. It comes pretty rough. I had to do a LOT of sanding. Also, they leave plenty of wood to remove where the percussion mechanism sits. I had to break out the dremel. Went slow, and the end result came out great.

Oh, and I replaced the crappy factory sights with Williams Firesights. I wanted something I could actually hunt with.

DSC01710.JPG

DSC016811.JPG

DSC01719.JPG

A few years ago I built a St. Louis Hawken kit. I didn't go the traditional route with a browned barrel and dark stained stock. I went blued/blonde. The most time consuming part of the build was finishing the stock. It comes pretty rough. I had to do a LOT of sanding. Also, they leave plenty of wood to remove where the percussion mechanism sits. I had to break out the dremel. Went slow, and the end result came out great.

Oh, and I replaced the crappy factory sights with Williams Firesights. I wanted something I could actually hunt with.

DSC01710.JPG

DSC016811.JPG

DSC01719.JPG

Beautiful

That a gorgeous rifle! I hope my pistol comes out half as well.

My son and I just finished the exact kit you picked up. As mentioned allready, there is a fair amount of stock fitting. Go slow, take your time and it will come out great.

One thing of note, the two little screws that go into the front of the barrell for the brass cap are a pain in the neck to get lined up and started. The brass fittings for the ramrod holder are a little fussy also.

Good luck. I'm sure you will love it when it is done.

Back
Top Bottom