• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a High-End 10/22

Hi Guys. I've been looking to get a Ruger 10/22, but for its intended purposes of steel challenge and other various competitions. I figured it'd be best to build/order a match one off the bat.

My question is: what experiences have you had with match .22's and what brand were they? I've seen TacSol, Volquartzen, and Tony Kidd, but I want to know what else might be out there

I know you can buy a Ruger Target Lite, but that's not building and I'm a sucker for stainless heavy barrels.

Stainless barrels are sweet! I recently tried a 10/22 with a Timney trigger and it was quite smoothe, but costs as much as a new stock Ruger 10/22. Like everything else in the hobby for me: the possibilities are limitless but the funding is limited.... have fun building it!

If you know your just going to shoot steel challenge you really only need a dependable rifle.
Its been a while but steel challenge is 10" 12" circles and a 18" x20" rectangle targets . At min of 20' and a max of 105' IIRC
So accuracy is not a priority.
A rifle that fits you well and naturally points for you will go a long way.
So your max shot is around 35 yards at a 10" target or about 27moa.
I love my single stage KIDD trigger and i prefer a gun on the heavier side for off hand shooting. Keeps my swing smooth.

You will loose more points/time from jams than poor accuracy.
Good luck
if i was going to do my build again i would just buy a complete action from kidd,tacsol,or Volq they are all nice.

A Rimfire Steel Challenge rifle will have quite different characteristics from one built for a precision match such as CMP Rimfire Sporter, and again totally different from ABRA sporter class. You do not want a heavy barrel for Steel Challenge because it will slow you down. It isn't impossible to get one that's quite good at both speed and accuracy, though, if you stay with high-end parts. You also have to look carefully at the rule books for the games you want to compete in. For example, Rimfire Sporter does not allow fluted barrels, which eliminates Kidd Lightweight and Ultra Lightweight from consideration if you want to do that match. For precision shooting you want a rifle that has some weight, to damp the slight wobble your body will inevitably create, especially in the standing position. The target rifles used in Olympic competition weight about 14 lbs for that reason. Same with benchrest.

I would focus on Kidd components. Kidd makes the best-quality upgrade parts for 10/22s in the galaxy. Their proprietary design single-stage trigger is unequaled by any other maker - it's the one you will want for Steel Challenge. The Kidd lightweight barrels are extremely accurate.

Another approach is to make a disguised match rifle by having the OEM bolt and barrel worked over by Connecticut Precision Chambering (ct-precision.com). Randy re-chambers the barrel and fine-tunes the bolt, making an ordinary rifle shoot almost like a Kidd. Ruger OEM barrels are excellent, but the chamber is designed to a loose standard for reliability.

Bottom-line, an all-around rifle will be a compromise in some respects. Just another reason to have several 10/22s.

if you're looking for a truly sick 10/22 get a tac sol X ring. i haven't shot them but tac sol doesn't do anything halfway. i have a Magnum Research lite 10/22 clone and dude for the $550 price tag it is absolutely incredible deal. the machining is gorgeous. stay away from the 22 magnum models i have heard those have issues. but the 22lr models are squared away.

Magnum Lite .22 LR / .22 WMR - Magnum Research, Inc. | Desert Eagle pistols and BFR revolvers
Magnum Lite .22 LR 17.0" Black Magnum Research MLR22H

if budget allows I would go with the Tac Sol. I think Carl at Four Seasons stocks them. With the expansion of the 10/22 sort of like the AR-15 I no longer see much point in stickign with Ruger. other manufacturers have upped the game.

I went with a Timney trigger group and a KSA Revolution 16.5” fluted bull barrel. Also did an oversized charging handle and polished the bolt myself. That all dropped in to a hogue stock.

if you're looking for a truly sick 10/22 get a tac sol X ring. i haven't shot them but tac sol doesn't do anything halfway. i have a Magnum Research lite 10/22 clone and dude for the $550 price tag it is absolutely incredible deal. the machining is gorgeous. stay away from the 22 magnum models i have heard those have issues. but the 22lr models are squared away.

Magnum Lite .22 LR / .22 WMR - Magnum Research, Inc. | Desert Eagle pistols and BFR revolvers
Magnum Lite .22 LR 17.0" Black Magnum Research MLR22H

if budget allows I would go with the Tac Sol. I think Carl at Four Seasons stocks them. With the expansion of the 10/22 sort of like the AR-15 I no longer see much point in stickign with Ruger. other manufacturers have upped the game.

Even Ruger has upped their game, their target lite model is pretty sweet. But I really want a higher end one to squeeze the most out of the rifle. I have to say I'm leaning towards KIDD. Volq. is gorgeous but super expense. Tacsol is very nice as well (and not $1800), but the trigger & barrel options on the KIDD are astounding.

Even Ruger has upped their game, their target lite model is pretty sweet. But I really want a higher end one to squeeze the most out of the rifle. I have to say I'm leaning towards KIDD. Volq. is gorgeous but super expense. Tacsol is very nice as well (and not $1800), but the trigger & barrel options on the KIDD are astounding.
Im happy with KIDD products i bought for my "long range" precision 10/22 build.
I have a tacsol AR22 LT that i used for local fun steel shoots and set up for my daughter now for 100 yard plinking at 4" steel targets

Well I'd like to bump this thread. Here she is! I went with a Tac-Sol Vantage and a Kidd Supergrade build. Any recommendations for a reflex to put on it?

upload_2018-9-13_19-0-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-13_19-0-50.png
    upload_2018-9-13_19-0-50.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom