• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Building a Dedicated .22LR AR-15

Been eye balling them for a while but with iron sight shooting dwindling from eye sight fading I have been hesitating.
Thought about a kit and put it on a flat top upper so I could scope it
I have my cmmg kit on a A4 upper and the new CL will go on a A4. I haven't shot irons since CMP made the rule change. I've got a spare White Oak Distinguished Rifleman scope sitting on the shelf, so that's where it will go.

@paul73 Question:
Out of the CMMG rig you have, which do you think contributed most to accuracy: the bolt (which is very similar to the 556 conversion), or the dedicated barrel (which is similar to 223 diameter except the twist rate is much slower)?
You didn't ask me, but I'll throw an answer at you: the combination of the proper twist for 22LR(1/16), and finding ammo that particular barrel likes, are going to be the two biggest contributors to accuracy.

@paul73 Question:
Out of the CMMG rig you have, which do you think contributed most to accuracy: the bolt (which is very similar to the 556 conversion), or the dedicated barrel (which is similar to 223 diameter except the twist rate is much slower)?
first of all - not sure i get the question correctly, as cmmg rig is not quite accurate, BCA is better. i think you ask about what contributes most to the lack of accuracy.

i am pretty sure the core issue with CMMG is in the bolt design itself. the previous shot was showing bolt removed from the barrel - here is how it sits on it.
the sleeve adapter that sits on top of the barrel is not tightened, and i believe as bolt rattles it is not settling the round steady enough in the consistent position for every shot and it contributes to worse accuracy.

BCA design is similar but that adapter is hard mounted on the barrel (or practically is the part of the barrel), including feeding ramp - all is solid and unmovable.

there are also some things that are possible to do to that cmmg bolt to make it work better, i only got a plug that goes into the buffer to protrude forward a bit and press the bolt forward to reduce its jolts - but do not think it helped much. frankly i lost most of my interest to deal with this contraption any longer.

1640300292677.png

Last edited:
I have my cmmg kit on a A4 upper and the new CL will go on a A4. I haven't shot irons since CMP made the rule change. I've got a spare White Oak Distinguished Rifleman scope sitting on the shelf, so that's where it will go.
Been eye balling those also. Just not sure if Im going to be do much service rifle anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom