• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Build your own AR?

Anyone have any links to more info on this? I know someone mentioned you're better off just getting a kit and putting your own together...Any recomendations on Brand names for parts, etc or at least some good reading to get familiar? If anyone has built their own send me an email if you can.

Thanks

oh wow...that's like from scratch....lol

I saw another site where you just order like 3 completed parts and put them together and add optics and lights mags etc...I think it was Brownell....but I wasn't sure about quality.

Do it yourself, if you can tap a pin in and fallow directions it is very easy and rewarding.

But I warn you, you wont stop with one, trust me.

Ed

Even though parts prices are still up, you can indeed build your own and use better parts than most mainstream manufacturers for less dough. My current build has the best of everything - from barrel, to receiver, to bolt carrier, to sights and it was around $800.00 total - one part at a time. My future build will be much the same way - everything will be top shelf and the preliminary total is about the same, (though I may be going a bit higher with a LaRue upper receiver)....My M4gery will out shoot anything in its class made by Bushmaster, Stag, etc....It's deadly out to 200-yards at least with open sights. I'm no match shooter, but I was banging on a 6" iron circle at 200-yards, a larger, (8" I think) at 100 and was popping half buried jars of tannerite with it at 100 in New Hampshire. The gun is tight like prom night..I took the Trijicon Tripower off of it, because I simply don't need it. I have not tested it out farther, but from 0-200 yards, it's lethal and was not built by Bushmaster....I have not done an LPK by myself yet, but I'm kidnapping KMM696 to guide me through...The rest is easy assembly...

1. Take your time (buy a lower ahead of time if you worry about ban politics)
  2. Try others first (come to NES shoots with some ammo and people will gladly let you shoot theirs) and find what you like and don't like
  3. Build your first one on the cheap (ex; go for the ACE or GI A2 stock and skip the magpul low drag operator model, etc)
  4. Don't do a preban for your first one (see above)
  5. Don't build the upper without experienced (plenty of it here) help the first time
  6. You will end up wanting something other than what you build (That's OK though, see below)
  7. You will build three more once you build your first [grin]

1. Take your time (buy a lower ahead of time if you worry about ban politics)
  2. Try others first (come to NES shoots with some ammo and people will gladly let you shoot theirs) and find what you like and don't like
  3. Build your first one on the cheap (ex; go for the ACE or GI A2 stock and skip the magpul low drag operator model, etc)
  4. Don't do a preban for your first one (see above)
  5. Don't build the upper without experienced (plenty of it here) help the first time
  6. You will end up wanting something other than what you build (That's OK though, see below)
  7. You will build three more once you build your first [grin]

That is the absolute truth. My first was a 16" mid length, and I wish I would have gone with an 18" now that I am working on a m4gery.

Best of everything for $800? you're full of it

I should have said "better of everything"... (not Noveske or LaRue, but better than most) and certainly "best" with regards to mainstream mass builders...

My BCG is a BCM M-16, My barrel is a 1:7 twist USGI M4 ramps, Upper receiver is a Cerro Forge. Troy flip-up rear, YHM flip up front, (which is accurate, but I'd prefer a standard FSB). LPK is a G&R. Stock is a Sully, brake is a Troy.

Totals:

Lower receiver from group buy + parts kit from G&R: $200.00

Upper receiver: $90.00

barrel: $175.00

Troy brake: $60.00

BCM M-16 BCG: $130.00

Double heat shield M4 handguards: $25.00

Sully Stock: $75.00

Troy Flip up rear: $100.00

The YHM was comped by Anvil and I'd prefer FSB which would have been free.

You do the math genius...

Last edited:
I just built this one after collecting parts for about 3 years, one piece at a time. I've got just about $600 in it. It was easy, educational and a whole lot of fun. If I can do it, you can do it.

nes46right%20800x179.jpg

Do a search for the AR 15 Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck and check the AR15 site for tips like using Vise Grips (or Channel Locks like I used) to squeeze in the roll pins rather than buying a set of specialty punches.

I did mine http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73987 with the use of that book and the web site but bought a complete upper instead of building my own.

Last edited:
Do a search for the AR 15 Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck and check the AR15 site for tips like using Vise Grips to squeeze in the roll pins rather than buying a set of specialty punches.

I did mine http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73987 with the use of that book and the web site but bought a complete upper instead of building my own.

I would go with a set of roll pin punches. They aren't all that expensive. I would also beware of kits; there is some real junk out there.

I would go with a set of roll pin punches. They aren't all that expensive. I would also beware of kits; there is some real junk out there.

The punch sets aren't that expensive but the smaller sized ones you'll need aren't commonly found in stores. This is a problem I ran into when building mine. Rather than ordering a set from Midway, I read about using pliers to squeeze in pins and found it to be much easier than using a hammer and punch to do drive in the entire pin, plus there was no damage that sometimes occurs when using a punch set.

I started the roll pin by tapping it with a regular punch, then used CLP and pliers to finish installation, followed up by a few taps with a standard punch to set it.

The LPK kit I used was from DPMS and the receiver from Anvil Arms.

First and foremost think what your gonna do with it.

16" Middy cost me about $1350
10.5" LMT cost me $1281 (not including NFA stamp)

These are WITHOUT optics (add in another $400 ea) and these are designed from the ground up to be SHTF and reliability has been the overriding manta when I put these together.

Again, what you plan to do with it is going to determine the final price.

Back
Top Bottom