• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

build question

bdb

NES Member
I thought I would throw this out there to save myself some headaches and maybe money!

Build 1 is complete, went very smooth and she shoots great. Build 2 is 80% there. I need a barrel basically but I wanted to make a few changes and am not sure on parts. It will be a mid length build without a standard FSB. It will have optics and flip up front and rear sights.

I was thinking of putting MOE hand guards with a gas block with top rail for the sights. My question is really around the attachment of the hand guard. I don't see any blocks with a rail than has the "cup" (excuse the term) to attach the front of a standard M4 style or MOE style hand guard. Do you buy that separate and attach it to the gas block?

Just wasn't sure and I figured someone here can answer pretty easily and likely save me some grief. Thanks!

I guess my issue is I don't know if the hand guard cap needs to be attached to the gas block or if it is just held in place from the pressure from the delta ring pushing forward and the overall pressure of a tight fit. Here are basically the 2 parts I was planning to buy from Midway USA.

Thanks for the reply mclina.

block.JPG ring.JPG

Don't use plastic flip ups on the front sight block . And make sure you buy the right flip up sight for the height of your gas block.

The barrel has a step up in od right after the gas block . That what keeps the hand guard cup from slide down when you don't have the hand guards on . It's wedge between the gas block and the step on the barrel.

If you haven't orded the delta ring /clip/ spring and hand guard cap I got all left over from build al bcm. You'd just need to order the barrel nut.

Thanks for the parts offer but I am all set with extra delta rings, spring and clip. I have enough of most parts for 3-4 builds at this stage! Just struggling with a barrel which could drive most of this. I'll likely just grab a standard M4 profile and be done with it since I am not finding much luck with my search for a target crown (any profile) or possibly a stainless fluted thicker barrel. So many choices :)

Not sure what you are looking for as far as barrel length, gas system length, and profile, but if you want a target crown barrel, DPMS seems to have a lot of choices in stock. They have some that are sub $200, all the way up to the SS fluted ones for over $300. So check out their site if that's what you are looking for. I believe that if they aren't in stock, it won't let you add to cart, so you should be good to go.

Actually I found a barrel finally but I will check out DPMS as well for a 20" SS barrel. Last I checked I thought they said they were pretty long on lead times. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom