• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Build Project NES-025 and NES-026 Updated 1/06/09

Build Project NES-025/026 Updated 8/13/2009 *SEE LAST PAGE*

Well, I have now begun the fun that will be Mr. and Mrs. Skald's SHTF guns.

What we start with

NES026Before.jpg

This build is starting off with a RRA Complete LPK, which as far as quality not to impressed with since some of the parts seemed to feel like plastic in my hands. This is not a bad LPK if your goal is plinking, and definitely better than DPMS who is very much hit or miss as far as specs go.

After about 2 hours of frustration I end up with

NES026After.jpg

Now do not get daunted if your thinking of building an AR lower, I spent a good 25 mins. trying to find a roll pin that dropped and then spent about 45 mins trying to put in the pivot pins.

Some advice from a first build, buy, borrow or liberate apivot pin detent installation tool, trying to install them without it is such a PITA that I left it for when I have the tool. Also WEAR EYE PROTECTION for this part. You put a lot of tension on that spring and I didn't turn my pin fast enought/correctly the small insert flew up and smacked my forhead. If it hit my eye I would almost guarantee I would be in the ER with an eye injury.

As many of you look at both pictures you are saying Skald, the grip in the before picture is NOT the one in the after picture.

Well, you are right and it was not meant to deceive you, but about 1/2 through the build I thought that the AR would look better with the Magpul MIAD grip. So Green members know what that means!

I really wish to thank the following people for giving me a hand in putting together these AR's:

MassMark - To shoot idea's around with and how to make these the most badass AR platform it could be
Paul and everyone from Bravo Company Mfg. for taking the time to answer countless emails
Grant from G&R Tactical for his help in learning more about the buffer system and proper weights.
GotM4 from M4C.net - for teaching me about the importance of properly staked gas keys
USMC03 from M4C.net for helping me understand weight distribution with a BCM upper
Rob_S for his chart. This little piece of research brought me a long way in finding out what I should be looking for in components. Also to his site Tatical Yellow Visor for some gear reviews and feedback that really helped cement my choice for a DD Omega Rail for my own upper.

As the build continues I hope to give installation/quality reviews of the following with pics.

Build Progress NES-025
LMT 10.5" Upper Receiver Group w/ 7" Larue Tactical Rails
BCM or LMT or G&R Tactical FA BCG (Status: : Out of Stock/Backordered)
FDE Magpul MOE Stock (Status:Received/Not Installed)
FDE Magpul MIAD Grip (Status:Received/Not Installed)
Ambi-Safety (Status:Received/Not Installed)
Milspec Stock Kit (Status:Received/Not Installed)
Magpul Enahnced Trigger Guard (Status: Installed)
Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point (Status:Received/Not Installed)
G&R Tactical LPK Option #3 (Status: : Out of Stock/Backordered)
Optic: Aimpoint H-1 (Status: Not Yet Odered)

Build Progress NES-026:
BCM 16" Mid-length Upper Receiver Group (Status: Installed)
Magpul UBR Black (Status: Installed)
Magpul BUIS (Status: Installed)
BCM or LMT or G&R Tactical FA BCG (Status: : Out of Stock/Backordered) (using a RRA BCG temporarily)
Troy Industries 9" MRF-DI (Status: Installed)
Black Magpul MIAD Grip (Status: Installed)
Milspec Stock Kit ([COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Status:[/COLOR]...selector saftey ambi - semi.htm"]Ambi-Safety (Status:Installed)
Optic: Aimpoint M4s in a Bobro M4 mount (Status: Not Yet Odered)

Last edited:
Nice - I have been kicking around a Magpul grip for my SOCOM-16 and/or my NES #006. I have read that some have had fitting issues with the Magpul - was yours an easy install? I hear you on the LPK's. I sent back a DPMS kit - as good a value as they seem to be, they really are hit and miss. A few of the parts felt unfinished or under finished and there were burrs on the hammer and trigger. The one that replaced it was also DPMS and it was fine, but I wound up sending it back anyway in favor of a G&R - all parts are stellar and it was worth the extra 20-bucks. Can't wait to see how this puppy turns out! [cheers]

PS: Any advice on what size roll pin punch to use for the trigger guard? I have two Sully guards to install and don;t have the proper punch to get the roll pin out...

Last edited:
Very cool - keep up the good work on it and let us see the progress you make.
Thanks for sharing.

Go to the hardware store and pick up a 1/4" clevis pin. It will do the exact same job for about 25 cents.

I was going to order the tool that Skald mentioned for my build; seemed like I good price, however; you can't beat .25 cents. Thanks for the info, and very nice lowers you have there Skald. [bow]

I was going to order the tool that Skald mentioned for my build; seemed like I good price, however; you can't beat .25 cents...

Yup, All the tool is, is a 1/4' rod with a 1/8" hole drilled through it. You could make the tool yourself in just a couple of minutes, but at 25 cents, it isn't worth the effort.
But which ever way you go, buy it or make it, the item is one of the few "must haves" for an AR build.

Another one I feel is important is the bolt catch roll pin punch. It is specially machined to clear the mag well. Brownell's # 080-216-012

boltcatchpunch.jpg

After buying the clovis pin I had some difficulty in installing the pivot pin. IF the fit is to tight to turn the pin easily use a little bit of lubricant on the pin itself to help reduce friction. After doing this installed like a charm.

Gear update:

At 9am this morning I placed an order for the stock kits from BCM. Just got an email from them at 3:50pm that my order has been shipped.

If you need to order a part, seriously give these guys a look. I mean, 6 hr turnaround from a gun supply shop in this crazy buying environment? Some stores are cutting off internet sales completely.

Gear update:

At 9am this morning I placed an order for the stock kits from BCM. Just got an email from them at 3:50pm that my order has been shipped.

If you need to order a part, seriously give these guys a look. I mean, 6 hr turnaround from a gun supply shop in this crazy buying environment? Some stores are cutting off internet sales completely.

Do you have a link? [grin]

Got a note on my door today from USPS and it appears my MOE Stock is waiting at the post office for me.

Ordered this on Thursday and received it Today from EBAY. Not to bad of a turn around. The person I dealt with was Angula who has a store called Smart Gunner. Stocks Magpul, Aimpoint, Troy Industries. Over 8000 feedback left with a 99.9% positive feedback.

So far very impressed with what I have been getting as far as delivery times for my items.

Here is NES-026 as we last left her, sitting with her new furniture and parts.

IMG_0140.jpg

First I installed the BCM Mil-Spec Stock Kit. Nothing bad to really say, comes with what appears to be a CMT 5 Position tube, castle nut, receiver end plate, and carbine action spring. I upgraded from the Carbine Buffer to an H-buffer since this will be SBRd eventually and from what I have researched and had answered is the heavier buffer in the SBR and Carbine length gas systems increases reliability. Installation was a breeze and the finish is fantastic.

Since my DD Rear Receiver QD point is in transit I wasn't able to install it, so I did not stake the Castle Nut yet either.

After I installed the Stock Kit I put on the MOE stock and the wife was in love with it. Since she wanted a little bit of color on her AR and went with the Flat Dark Earth color by Magpul. The MOE stock differs from the standard CTR in that there is no friction lock for 'no movement'. Well, there is very little movement when the MOE is locked into place so not sure if that feature and a QD point is worth the extra $40 or so, but to some it would be. The stock went on a bit roughly since you had to pull the pin all the way down.

Since the wife's Magpul MIAD grip came I fitted my stripped lower with the grip and had her test it, after we got the grip the way she wanted it I took off the black MIAD grip and installed hers. A nice tip if you do use the MIAD grip is to screw in the supplied screw first into the lower to remove the blue loktite that they use.

Now, with the Buffer Tube, Stock and Grip all assembled the lower is almost complete!

Pic of it collapsed:
IMG_0141.jpg

And with the MOE stock fully extended:

IMG_0142.jpg

Next update should be next week when we have the Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point in and installed, and have the fully assembled lower modeled by the actual owner (will ask the guys at the local gunshop if we can borrow one of their uppers to add to the shot).

Til next time.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Good optics are very expensive. I have way more rifles than I have optics. It seems like I'm always playing musical chairs with them. LOL

Now the Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point are installed. Few words about them. They are a VERY tight fit on a Mil-Spec receiver tube so be prepared to work it a little bit as you put it on. Also went to one of the local gun shops who had a CAR buttstock wrench and he was kind enough to tighten the castle nut, which increased the stability of the MOE stock greatly. If you can get one, I HIGHLY recommend the Magpul MOE stock.

Now a small word about our model. We have known each other for about 5 years or so now, and slowly approaching our 1st year anniversary together. Come February she will be 6 1/4 yrs old (25 to you and me). She is actually modeling off HER AR, mine is still disassembled since the LPK and such have yet to arrive for it.

The sling she chose A Wilderness Tactical Products Single-Point sling in Green. She loves it to death and thinks it actually goes with the FDE Magpul furniture she picked out

Yes, she is a Star Wars nut like her hubby.
Standing.jpg

Close up of the DD attachment, note how the castle nut fits into it.
CU.jpg

Don't know much, but trying to instill in her proper trigger discipline. To properly finish off the stock and cross it off the list I just need to stake it properly.
CU2.jpg

My wife with her deer in the headlight look.
HangFree.jpg

When we get an upper for it, we will post a pic of her with it, and maybe the forward grip and flashlight combo.

Last edited:
SWEET! Nothing like a beautiful wife that's tacticool! Can't wait for more pics when the rifle is finished, (but feel free to keep posting pics of Mrs. Skald along the way [wink])...[cheers]

I like that DD rear sling mount - I have a Troy coming for my build and hope, (expect) it will be equally as nice. Daniel Defense makes some really nice stuff - have been milling over getting their offset light mount...

Back
Top Bottom