• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Build Party !!

Amazing. Can't imagine having the patience to do that.

But don't test your AR shooting at the lake surface. Would have been more appropriate to shoot some cans, eh?

Very, very cool with mad skillz. That had to be a lot of work.
I have to say, though, that he's a bit behind the times with his casting. He could have 3D printed a lower from one of the newer materials designed for lost-wax casting. Instead of something slightly better than a block of aluminum he could have had a casting that required very little machining. Clean-up the threads, ream the pin holes to final dimensions and some other clean-up would do it.

Great, now every gang banger with 600 beer cans, a foundry, a machine shop, a set of plans, couple decades of machining experience, and bad intent, will be making one of these.

This was very enjoyable to watch.

Very, very cool with mad skillz. That had to be a lot of work.
I have to say, though, that he's a bit behind the times with his casting. He could have 3D printed a lower from one of the newer materials designed for lost-wax casting. Instead of something slightly better than a block of aluminum he could have had a casting that required very little machining. Clean-up the threads, ream the pin holes to final dimensions and some other clean-up would do it.

one word - shrinkage
If you can't precisely control the temps and the alloy content you won't be able to accurately predict the shrink rate of the casting. Much easier to cast a block and machine from solid.

one word - shrinkage
If you can't precisely control the temps and the alloy content you won't be able to accurately predict the shrink rate of the casting. Much easier to cast a block and machine from solid.
Good point. I suppose after a few attempts learning the alu's shrinkage and tweaking the 3D model it would work, but yeah, not a simple as click, print and cast.

Back
Top Bottom