Build my own Muzzleloader

Maybe this is a stupid question,but can I build my own muzzleloader? without a kit? I feel as if I'm up to the engineering task,but is the BATF gonna bust down my door, stuff me in a bag, and ship me to Guam?

Why yes you can!

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a6

apparently you need a handgun license to own a blackpowder pistol in MA.Does that also apply to homemade blackpowder pistols?

apparently you need a handgun license to own a blackpowder pistol in MA.Does that also apply to homemade blackpowder pistols?

"An antique firearm is defined as any handgun, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or before 1899, or any replica thereof which is not designed for firing fixed ammunition or which uses fixed ammunition no longer manufactured in the United States and no longer readily available commercially.

A FID card is not required to possess antique and replica firearms in the home or place of business. A license to carry is required when antique and replica handguns are being carried outside the home or place of business. "

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom