• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Build mishaps

dgrafton

NES Member
I just finished building my Maadi kit. Not having a real computer meant youtube was no help, but I did get some advise on here and was able to complete it.

I had a few mishaps on the way, but nothing too bad, until yesterday. I thought I was going to have to scrap the build, or most of it anyway, but it worked out. Just another lesson learned for the next build.

What are some of the mistakes you have made during your builds, and how badly did they affect the final product? Is there a build that you attempted/completed and would not attempt again?

I will do another post with all the mistakes I made on my build. Hope to get some input, as I have a few more builds planned, and not a lot of skills really, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On one of my Maadi builds, I was pressing in a barrel and it somehow got bound up. I kept jacking down on the press and I noticed the barrel starting to bend. Probably got about a 1" hump in the middle.

I thought I had trashed the whole build, and was pretty upset for about a day. Then I calmed down, took a big rubber mallet and started pounding on the barrel until it flattened out. Cleaned up the trunnion and barrel, lubed it up, and pressed it in smoothly.

It ended up just as accurate as the rest of my builds, so no harm done. I wish I had taken a photo of the curved barrel, but I wasn't in a sharing mood at the time.

i killed a CETME. my biggest mistake was modding the semi-auto shelf rather than cutting down the ears on the "lower". made a few other small mistakes but those could be fixed, once you're grinding and welding and shit... forget about that shit. you only get so many chances.

linsky would have shit himself if he saw me throwing a mostly built CETME out into the middle of the street in natick while cursing and screaming at it. wasn't far from the dude's house IIRC, so maybe he heard me.

suck it, goat-****er.

I have been shooting for thirty years, but never did much mechanical work on my guns. I installed some optics, replaced the handguard on my first ar, replaced a mag spring on my 500 and trigger springs on a .22 bolt rifle. Nothing difficult at all. Reading about the AK made me want one, and it had to be built by me! Haha, the joke was on me. I had no idea what lay ahead.

That is funny about the Maadi barrel. That is the first mistake in my build too. It was going in fine, but then got tough. I kept cranking on the driver, and noticed the barrel pointing to the left. I had to take a wheelbarrow axle, a brass pusher and a three pound sledge to knock the barrel back out. Then I had to grind down the pile of steel the rivet plowed up. The opposite side trunnion left a little to be ground down also. Hmmm, is the barrel junk? We'll see.

I screwed up the rivet heads when I tried to reset them. They were functional, but too fugly to leave. I had to drill those out and replace them. Glad I had extra rivets on hand.

Pressing the barrel went smoother the second time. So well, that I went way too far before checking headspace. Of course, I did that because I had no idea HOW to check headspace. A little studying of the situation and I figured that out. Well, out came the sledge again! Headspace got set, a little tight, but still a go. I did read that it could loosen a bit after the first couple of shots as barrel shifts forward against pin.

Next came the rear sight base. Kind of hurried it, but made sure it was positioned loose enough for the dust cover to go on easily. Of course I was too worried about that and didn't notice that it was canted a tiny bit. Until after I drilled and pinned it:/

The lower handguard notches were done, and locating and filing the top groove was pretty easy.

The tolerances were too tight for the gas block and front sight base, so some emery cloth took care of those. The gb went on and lined up quickly, but the fsb kept canting to the left. Finally I said F it and wedged a screwdriver in it and beat it with a mallet until it looked good. I didn't pin it until I shot it out to 100 yards to check windage adjustments.

Back in the shop and I pinned the fsb and drilled to pin the brake. Measured three times, and marked the drill bit and still thought it was going to be tight. Not a lot of barrel thickness to drill for a pin. This friggin state sux:/ Anyway, got it drilled, checked bore and it all looked good. Slipped in the pin and tapped it in a bit with a ballpeen hammer. Oops, dimpled the rifling!!!

FUCH!!! Did I just ruin my barrel (and my build) on the last step? What to do? Hmmmmm. Went to the range and nobody there. Good start. Set up a target at 25 yards and made a bunker around the end of my barrel on three sides and on top with sandbags. Crouched behind it and fired one round. Cleared gun and inspected bore, all ok. Took two more shots and inspected again. Dimple gone! Fired five quick shots into a 1 1/2" group. I moved the target to 100 yards and fired five more. Group wasn't great, but that is because of my eyesight. Nice round holes, so no effect on bullets leaving muzzle.

Just need a c-clamp from work to adjust windage 1" at 100 yards. Forgot to do it after screwing up drilling the brake. Height is right on, although the rear sight base is canted and sitting a little high so my front sight is a little higher than the wings.

All in all, it was a great learning experience! I learned what can be done with a drill press, a bench vise and some threaded rod. Extra drill bits, extra punches and some basic hand skills helped. The two most important lessons for the next build though are:

1. Always have a bigger sledge available.

2. Use plenty of vodka. Then I can blame the mistakes on that.

Atilla, that must have sucked ass! I was pissed when I thought I wasted a $100 barrel and some time.

I have a Bulgy '74 and a 1911 to build next. I think the ak will go a lot smoother, not so sure about the 1911. Eh, a little over $300 total, and at least some parts should be salvageable if I f-it up badly enough.

i was actually able to demill the kit again, only thing trashed was the receiver which i destroyed completely after the fact. sold the whole pile on gunrapist and ended up losing under a hundred on the whole ordeal. learned a LOT, but it did cost some time and money. that's just how it goes sometimes.

Biggest mistake I did on a. Build was buying a psl parts kit.

and order a barrel from a **** tard (all most a year waiting) and bought a shitty pre bent receiver. Both the barrel and 80% I was told where to buy them from Michaeljr .

Biggest mistake building so far was losing parts getting shot across the room on ar's

Lost the brake pin the other day when pinning fsb. Not a big deal, since it was being welded, but it bothered me. Tore apart my shop for 15 minutes, but I found it.

AR build went fine. Scratched the takedown pin a little and used way too much neverseize on barrel extension. Just sucked to clean up the excess.

I do have to replace the Toth brass barrel pusher. I totally destroyed that. And get a new set of punches, but they were cheap and expendable anyway.

Back in the shop and I pinned the fsb and drilled to pin the brake. Measured three times, and marked the drill bit and still thought it was going to be tight. Not a lot of barrel thickness to drill for a pin. This friggin state sux:/ Anyway, got it drilled, checked bore and it all looked good. Slipped in the pin and tapped it in a bit with a ballpeen hammer. Oops, dimpled the rifling!!!

FUCH!!! Did I just ruin my barrel (and my build)

Silver solder is your friend. Much easier and faster. The only time I pin the MD is when I'm working with a stainless barrel.

Silver solder is your friend. Much easier and faster. The only time I pin the MD is when I'm working with a stainless barrel.

My mechanic sent me to a buddy of his. Awesome welder, does a lot of marine work. $15 while I wait and talk guns and hunting.

I built my yugo m70 at work because we have a real nice hydraulic press, we also have a no gun policy so I was in a bit of a rush to complete it before they caught me building an AK everything came out perfect and its extremely accurate I just wish I could have taken my time you shouldn't rush these things.

End mill walked itself down because I had it in the wrong type of holder and broke through the bottom of the floor of the AR trigger group cavity. I cleaned up the mess of the floor by cutting it completely out, and drilled a new hole through the side (like the trigger pins) and pressed a 1/8" pin in for the trigger spring to rest against. Not pretty, certainly not mil-spec, but it works.

Last edited:
Biggest mistake I made was watching to buy the pso scope for my psl. The rail was left big so I had to mill it with a dove tail cutter.
2nd mistake was where I put my mill.
I had to turn my mill 45 deg so the barrel wasn't hitting the wall.
Took me 3 hours for setup because of this .
5 mins to mill the rail.

Back
Top Bottom