Build for my son

Figured this would heat it up a bit.
OK, here we are. I ordered the Stock, I ordered the new bolt handle, I ordered the scope, bases and rings. The scope is Philippine w/ Japanese glass. I have the same scope on a rifle, have for 16 years. Also have an AO version on my .17HMR in a slightly higher power. Cabelas is having a 50%++ discount on a package of the scope, rings, laser bore sighter, and gun oil for $99.00. Basic 3-9x40mm. Scope alone sells for $179.00++. Bases from Weaver were $13.59 including shipping.
So on this build we are at:
Stock, $89.00 incuding shipping.
Scope and rings, $99.27 w/ free shipping.
Bases, $13.59 including shipping.
Bolt handle, 19.57 including shipping.
Bolt work, $40.00.
Full dura coat 3 color kit and air brush for metal parts. $84.00
Front sight hood, 13.95
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Ross-F...600-065-ft.htm

The barreled action is off a basket case 1943 Husqvarna M38 Swede. Nothing matches on this poor bitch. It was put away wet a few to many times before I picked her up. Stock is bad and cracked.

Ok here is where I am now:
OK, The stock is finished. I had to do some fitting, but I'm very happy w/ it. I finished it w/ BLO and Hoppes gun wax. The woodland camo laminate looks stellar w/ this finish.
I stripped the rifle down to bare nothing and took it out for some test shots w/ the original iron sight just to see how she shot. I shot her unsupported/ standing. The bullets (140gr sp) hit exactly at POA. I dropped the action, bolt, new bolt handle and scope bases off at the smith last night. About a week (since he has a real job also) to get her back. My son wants the metal in forest green, not woodland camo, so that makes it easier for me. The rifle w/ scope will be under 7.5 pounds. The smith has the sling studs I wanted also. She sould be done by Christmas eve.

Congrats on your build.

With two new grandsons now i want to get them some shooters the'll have when i pass on to play with. I got them a 1890 winchester 22cal pump like my grandad had and a 1906 remington 22cal pump too. Now i'm interested in bubba guns that i can use to do builds in 6,5 swede, 7mm mauser and 7,62x39 for there first deer rifles. I was thinking of shortening the barrel on a 1916 308 mauser and installing a chamber adapter to make it in 7,62x39. I was hoping to shorten the barrels between 18" to 20".

In the past i built a german 98k 8mm mauser for $20. It had a sewer pipe bore and i changed the barrel out myself from numrich gun parts $37, The three post military style scope with mounts was only $50. I needed a new handguard $20. I refinished the orginal german stock and now its a real looker. For a little over $100

Congrats on your build.

With two new grandsons now i want to get them some shooters the'll have when i pass on to play with. I got them a 1890 winchester 22cal pump like my grandad had and a 1906 remington 22cal pump too. Now i'm interested in bubba guns that i can use to do builds in 6,5 swede, 7mm mauser and 7,62x39 for there first deer rifles. I was thinking of shortening the barrel on a 1916 308 mauser and installing a chamber adapter to make it in 7,62x39. I was hoping to shorten the barrels between 18" to 20".

In the past i built a german 98k 8mm mauser for $20. It had a sewer pipe bore and i changed the barrel out myself from numrich gun parts $37, The three post military style scope with mounts was only $50. I needed a new handguard $20. I refinished the orginal german stock and now its a real looker. For a little over $100

Finding a cheap, usable barreled action is getting tough. I over paided for what I got as the doner rifle, but it will last him a lifetime now.

I( know the bubba guns even half done can be expense to purchase. Right now its cheaper to buy a co9mplete swede mauser and build it. I been thinking a non matching numbered gun would be ok. But on the other hand your right it will last a lifetime plus its a better quality gun that if we purchased a new one.
A while back i grabbed a swede m94 that was put into a spanish stock for $400 and a replacement m94 swede stock for $250 with hardware. I put the bubba gun back to its orginal condition..

Here she is, the see through rings do suck! So they will be replaced w/ some true Weaver steel tomorrow. I blued the bolt handle, sleeve and extracyor so he can use her this winter for 'yotes.

DSCF0017-2-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom