• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Build/Customize or Buy New for $500?

I haven’t bought a new firearm since fall and honestly I probably shouldn’t as I am investing my money in several other things. But I have an itch lol.
I don’t want to spend more than $500 right now. So do I buy a new firearm or customize what I have?
From my current collection if I were to mess with any it would be one of these:
1) 10/22 black synthetic stock
2) Hi-Point 995
3) Hawk 12g 982
4) P320

All of these are completely stock with 0 or very few rounds through them..

If I were to buy new I’d want a 6” revolver or a 1911 in 45 but none of these fit the current budget.

Buy ammo.

You could find a used revolver, but then you wouldn't have enough for any ammo for it... so what's the point of that.

Buy ammo and go shoot.

Buy ammo.

You could find a used revolver, but then you wouldn't have enough for any ammo for it... so what's the point of that.

Buy ammo and go shoot.
I’d rather not buy any more ammo. I have a lot and I even have ammo for firearms I don’t even know yet.

The only one on that list worth customizing is the 10/22. With 500 you could get a new stock and trigger. Buy good ammo with any money left over. Then start saving for a new barrel and scope.
Of the pistol options, I would go for the 1911. You could probably find a used Ruger or RIA within your budget.

Take your 10/22 out and shoot it for few hours figure out what you don't like about it...
I say unless you really like shooting your ruger stuff the cash in a safe spot and save another 500 or so.
$500 can go a long way to go "custom" on your 10/22
Trigger is on the top of the list. Mine is just under 2lbs and crisp , watch out though if you fall into the trap you will haves $1000 10/22 with out warning.

Usually if you’re not sure what you really want, you end up with a toy you like for a few months and then get tired of...

From your choices though you’re least likely to get sick of the 10/22 though, and a stock one is pretty cheap so you have a lot left over for mods, ammo, groceries, vacation or whatever the heck you wind up wanting. I really like my 10/22, and since it shares ammo with a pistol I’ve got it has a lot of utility.

Also, in the event you decide to sell this thing in the future, I’d think the 10/22 would hold value a bit better than the other guns if it’s not too heavily modded.

Realized I didn’t read your post correctly. If customizing a 10/22 is your thing go for it since you already have it.

If you buy new there are a few 1911s under $500 that could be fun to play with. If you bought one you could swap in and out parts as you bought them.

I wouldn't mess with the 320. the hi point and hawk....ahhh, I wouldn't put money into those. that leaves 2 choices. customize your 10/22 into whatever you have in mind or save more and buy something you really want. tax refund time is coming.......

Just be patient on Armslist you'd be surprised what you can find there. In NH I picked up a cz p09 for three bills. Best gun I've ever bought

I've scored some amazing deals off of it
i'd been trying to bid on a rear sight assembly for a contender barrel on ebay a few times only to quit when the price reached 60 bucks. went to gun broker and found one right off and bought it for $15. yeah, i'd use broker and arms list to browse around looking for a deal. you never know, right?

If the 320 and the 10/22 have low round counts, I'd 2nd just getting some ammo. What's the point of a wheel gun if you don't have trigger control down pat (10/22 practice), or can't handle the recoil/follow up (320 practice). If you don't have time to shoot, what's the point of another safe queen when you could do something useful with the money. But I'm old, with kids and no longer have the time or facilities to shoot.

As someone told me in my PUBG thread, git gud first.

i'd been trying to bid on a rear sight assembly for a contender barrel on ebay a few times only to quit when the price reached 60 bucks. went to gun broker and found one right off and bought it for $15. yeah, i'd use broker and arms list to browse around looking for a deal. you never know, right?

Amen man never hurts to use all the tools in the box

You could trick out your 10/22 and have money left over, save more and get a nice new gun, or BUY AMMO AND SHOOT.
I don't see the point in collecting guns you don't shoot, unless they are actually collectible.
Unless you are actually a collector, if you are spending more money on guns and parts than you are on ammo, you're doing it wrong.

What's the point of a wheel gun if you don't have trigger control down pat (10/22 practice), or can't handle the recoil/follow up (320 practice).
hey, what do you think we were using before semi autos were popular and the 10/22 was born? a flintlock pistol? :p

hey, what do you think we were using before semi autos were popular and the 10/22 was born? a flintlock pistol? :p

I will say, loading a revolver with random shells was one of the training aids I was told would help with flinch.

Load a 357 revolver with empty chamber, 38 special, and full magnum loads, then spin the cylinder.

I will say, loading a revolver with random shells was one of the training aids I was told would help with flinch.
everyone flinches. people that say they don't are delusional and in denial. how about just loading up the ole revolver and enjoy shooting it. [wink]

Assuming you have money for ammo, first on the list would be to customize the 10/22. You can make a pretty awesome 10/22 with match level accuracy.

If you want a new gun, for $500 you can get a mint condition used Remington R1 1911. I have one and it's a tack driver right out of the box. Despite not being as 'refined' it shoots as well as my custom shop Colt and my 1st gen Delta Elite. Pretty happy with mine regardless of cost and once I factor in the low price it's a slam dunk.

Yeah a pocket pusszz guns where popular way way back even semi auto. Funny to think that the small 380s put out recently are something new? Its all good. I know several folks with more than 4 guns that don't shoot much at all if any.

Back
Top Bottom