build a range in the back yard

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
Going to build a range in the back yard

Any Helpers?

Yea!

Sec. 38-26. Discharge near dwelling or occupied building or structure.
It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge a firearm of any kind or description in the town within 100 yards of a dwelling or occupied building or structure without having received the prior consent in writing of the owner of such dwelling or occupied building or structure.
(Ord. of 9-17-1980, § 2)
Cross references: Buildings and building regulations, ch. 66.

Sec. 38-27. Discharge causing projectile to pass near dwelling or occupied building or structure.
It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge a firearm of any kind or description in the town which causes or permits the bullet or projectile from such firearm to pass or results in the bullet or projectile from such firearm passing within 100 yards of a dwelling or occupied building or structure without having received the prior consent in writing of the owner of such dwelling or occupied building or structure.
(Ord. of 9-17-1980, § 3)
Cross references: Buildings and building regulations, ch. 66.

Sec. 38-28. Discharge within town.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge a firearm of any kind or description, except for shotguns, within the geographic boundaries of the town.
(b) This section shall not apply to persons having written permission to shoot or discharge firearms from the owner of the premises upon which such firearms are discharged.
(Ord. of 9-17-1980, § 4)

Sec. 38-29. Exceptions.
(a) Sections 38-26, 38-27 and 38-28 shall not apply to the following:
(1) An approved firing area.
(2) Raccoon hunting at night with a 0.22 caliber pistol.
(3) A trapper tending his traps.
(4) Smooth bore muzzle loaders.
(b) As used in subsection (a)(1) of this section, an approved firing range area is defined as a backstop constructed of logs or timbers of at least 12 inches in diameter with an earth barrier of suitable materials with no less than a 45-degree slope. The following shall be required for an approved firing range area:
(1) In addition to the earth barrier, there shall also be a natural obstruction of trees or terrain to the rear of the backstop.
(2) The target area will be placed no less than three feet from the top and sides of the backstop.
(3) The range widths to the target shall be no less than 15 feet for 50 yards, 25 feet for 100 yards and 50 feet for 200 yards.
(4) No range will be situated less than 100 feet from the nearest roadway, and it shall not be constructed so the projectile travels toward the roadway.
(5) No shooting will be permitted except between the hours of sunrise and sunset.

Why?

This will not end well.

Why?

I was shooting Clays out back last summer and a couple of local cops cme in the yard because they heard the noise. They did not even know that tha State law is 100 yards away from an occupied dwelling.

It wont bother anyone except Golfers who are 1000 yards away and not in the line of fire.

I keep picking up Golf Balls in my lawn when I hit them with my lawn mower. But I fiqure thats just my Nieghbor. Maybe Ill make a Chip and Putt

My next door Nieghbor was shooting Clays with me. and he signs off in writing that I can hunt on his land.

Last edited:
I've got 20 acres of undeveloped land in Boxborough that I keep thinking would make a fun place to shoot, but then I think about the headaches involved and I just head over to HSC instead.

I guess I don't understand the negative comments. I shoot in my back yard sometimes and have thought about building a small range there. If my club weren't 1/4 mile away, I would. Don;t know why the OP can't, especially in Maine.

house%20800x570.jpg

Last edited:
jdubois;395258 said:
Yea. I guess Ill just go to Camp Ellis Rod & Gun. I have enough landscapeing to do as it is.

I was Just thinking of a use for about 20 big Pine Trees that Im going to cut down.

BONFIRE!

Dont really need anything for Clay Targets. Just throw and pop.

I can still shoot on my own land without building a range.... well maybe a airgun/.22 CB short range would be simple & fun. Shooting Gallery Style. I do have a bunch of little steel plate targets that a .22can knock down

med_helicopter_game.jpg

I was Just thinking of a use for about 20 big Pine Trees that Im going to cut down.
Alot of people in York County would probably PAY you for those 20 Pine trees or you could have ALOT of lumber for yourself after you had someone cut them up for you. Guys I know who do this live too far from you. Bet you could build a garage with that much lumber.

I shoot in my parents backyard all the time. There is a small hill that acts as a backstop. There isn't anything in the direction of fire for miles besides woods, many acres of which they own. I am further than legal distance from all neighboring houses. Up until this point I have not had any police or neighbors visit. Cover all of your bases and make sure you are aware what is in the direction that you are firing in and have some sort of backstop. Be safe!

I keep picking up Golf Balls in my lawn when I hit them with my lawn mower. But I fiqure thats just my Nieghbor. Maybe Ill make a Chip and Putt

My next door Nieghbor was shooting Clays with me. and he signs off in writing that I can hunt on his land.

It is kind of funny, but you are in a similar setup to me! I can't figure out how the golf balls come to me, tho.

Back
Top Bottom