• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BUGBite ankle holsters. Anyone rocking this?

I thought this was something for repelling insects... [rofl2]

I don't own any pistols small enough to fit into that (max 5.5" long)... Even if I did, I don't think carrying that way is good for a self-defense option. Well, unless you plan to grab your ankles first. [shocked]

Wear shorts,oh it's supposed to be concealed?[emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Meh. Not a fan of ankle/leg holsters. If i have to pull my pistol, I want it to be immediately accessible, within reach of my right hand. Anything else gives a couple extra seconds for the threat to shoot back. Especially if the gun is attached to my leg. Same reason why i carry safetyless striker fired guns with one in the chamber.

Meh. Not a fan of ankle/leg holsters. If i have to pull my pistol, I want it to be immediately accessible, within reach of my right hand. Anything else gives a couple extra seconds for the threat to shoot back. Especially if the gun is attached to my leg. Same reason why i carry safetyless striker fired guns with one in the chamber.

TBH it's a backup. meant for something smaller, or when your EDC isn't coming along for various reasons.

Ankle holster are good for drawing from a sitting position. The need to crouch in order to reach it makes you a smaller target.

They are great for office workers and people that drive a lot. More comfy than OWB when driving and just as fast to draw.

Aside from that, only good for a backup gun in my opinion.

Ankle carry seems like the absolute worse way to carry other than unholstered Mexican carry or the prison-purse-keister-carry.
The ankle is furthest from you hands and moves more than any part of your body.
This "rides high on your calf" which means you are going to have to pull up your pant leg to your knee.
Unless you all are up on your yoga or have tear off uncle-magic-mike pants you is not something you are going to be able to get too in a hurry. I wear a knee brace many days and there are plenty of pant legs that only make it 1/2, 3/4 of the way up my calf. Maybe this is what those zipper legged cargo shorts are for. [rofl]

No thanks. Pass.

Last edited:
I started wearing a Bugbite about 2 weeks ago to carry a Kahr PM9 and a spare mag. Report so far: more comfortable, secure and balanced than my other ankle holsters. It took a few minutes the first time to figure out how to position it properly. It's snug and formfitting.

The holster pocket covers the trigger guard and rear slide. Thumb on the rear slide makes for a nice smooth draw. One or two hands raise the pant leg to the knee. Draw hand is right at the gun.

Not for skinny, tight leg pants. I wear loose leg Wranglers. No printing and no access problems.

Ankle carry is the worst option... other than that Bugbite.

I looked into it; it takes all the meager advantages of ankle carry and makes them less advantageous. The gun rides high enough to print (with my calves) and is even more difficult to draw than conventional ankle holsters. The trade off is increased comfort, but comfort isn't a problem with my current ankle setup.

I started wearing a Bugbite about 2 weeks ago to carry a Kahr PM9 and a spare mag. Report so far: more comfortable, secure and balanced than my other ankle holsters. It took a few minutes the first time to figure out how to position it properly. It's snug and formfitting.

The holster pocket covers the trigger guard and rear slide. Thumb on the rear slide makes for a nice smooth draw. One or two hands raise the pant leg to the knee. Draw hand is right at the gun.

Not for skinny, tight leg pants. I wear loose leg Wranglers. No printing and no access problems.

Thanks, I appreciate the real world opinion.

MySeecampNkimber2.jpg

That looks like it would be slick for a Seecamp and a spare mag...

I have an unhealthy fear of ankle holsters.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I'm always afraid I'm gonna kick the pistol.

That, and prior iterations were those abominations from Uncle Mike's or whatever. They were just built out of the spare parts to a porcupine or something. ???? And they slid down too easily. (Or you needed to cut off circulation to your foot.)

This might be an alternative for summer carry for me. Higher up actually will reduce the kick factor. And with the right pants, pulling them up is no big deal. Chinos and fairly loose jeans almost always. I don't own no skinnyjeanz. Nobodywannaseedat!

So I just bought one of these based on something I came across in another thread. I'm a longtime ankle carrier, using a DeSantis Apache, which I'm happy with as long as you remove the thumb strap. It's never let me down with a P238/938.

The BugBite has a LOT of pluses and a HUGE minus. It's well-made, it's extremely comfortable, the support is great, the spare mag pocket is much appreciated. It's a little warm, but not too bad. The price is right. All good things.

Unfortunately, the minus trumps all that: it places the pistol far too high. It's a calf holster, not an ankle holster. Unless you're wearing BDU trousers or something similarly baggy, you'll print like an MFer in this thing. Aside from the printing risk, you'd need to pull your jeans up so high to draw that it's even less practical than an ankle holster normally is.

The other minus, for me, is that you can't mount the holster while your shoe's already on. But that's minor.

The pull over and zipper seems like a better system than my current ankle holster that I don’t wear anymore.

It has Velcro that collects shit. After years of use if you don’t comb out all that shit..All you Gotta do is rub your ankle on something and your gun falls completely off usually in a place where you look like a complete a**h***. At least with this one it retains to your leg

I have one, I don’t use it. It feels good when you first put it on but then when actually put a gun in it you go for a walk it slides down, the gun tends to move around or even get lost inside the pouch. Also the strap that goes around the upper part tends to come loose and you’ll snag the gun on it when you try and draw it. I got another basic one and it works much better although I don’t have much occasion to use it since covid (I haven’t worn dress pants w tucked shirt in over a year).

There is something to be said for the classic leather ankle holsters. But I guess it depends on what you’re carrying.

I got one of those newer S&W 360 PD’s..357 with a titanium cylinder.

The only issue I see is the thing is so light you could lose it and not even notice it was missing...It’s more comfortable than a wrist watch

Galco ankle glove.

I had a secondary strap thing for fat people..As well as the extension. If you’re wearing boots it locks in in just the right spot. I don’t wear skinny jeans so it only takes a second to get to...

Ankle carry has its limitations. But it’s better than not having a gun

Had one. Used it a few times and did not care for it. The last time I wore it the zipper got stuck and I removed it with my EDC Spyderco...

I've had good experience with the Alien Gear ankle holster. Worn as a backup or if if I get dragged to some fancy bullshit I have to wear a suit to.

I thought this was something for repelling insects... [rofl2]

I don't own any pistols small enough to fit into that (max 5.5" long)... Even if I did, I don't think carrying that way is good for a self-defense option. Well, unless you plan to grab your ankles first. [shocked]
Didn't you ever see rush hour.....

Wipe yourself off you dead....

Back
Top Bottom