Bug out or sit tight? You're plan?

You are most prepared to:

• Bug out

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Sit tight

Votes: 78 57.4%
  • All set on both fronts; Situation details determine course of action.

Votes: 48 35.3%

• Total voters
Transmitting the GPS coords of the loading points for transport to the underground FEMA camps? That would have to be stopped.

Well ya, but you've gotta have the GPS devices planted in a bunch of mules showing up for their free stuff.

One step ahead, you know? [wink]

I think everyone would prefer the comfort of staying put at home but the reality of living in a city of 50,000+ and being close to Boston means you have to be on the move.
Why?

Do you think you would be better off exposed in your vehicle? You are most likely going to get trapped in gridlock unless you leave waaay early.

I live about 15 miles north of a very depressed city of 170,000 (Dayton) and in an MSA that encompasses between 850,000 to 1,100,000 people depending how many counties you include in it. 70 miles south is the even larger Cincinnati MSA.

Interstate 75 is just a couple of miles from my house. I can guarantee you that if TSHTF around here not only 75 but every other county and state road is going to be jammed to capacity in every direction.

I'm sitting tight. If a group tries to help themselves to what is mine, I will make them pay in blood. Simple as that.

I am already where most people would bug out to. Farm, hundreds of acres, adequate preparations in place, capable like minded friends and currently working on bringing medical up to par. If circumstances got bad enough that bugging out from here were the only option, I don’t see a scenario that would be survivable.

Why?

Do you think you would be better off exposed in your vehicle? You are most likely going to get trapped in gridlock unless you leave waaay early.

I was thinking "worst case" natural-disaster/terrorist-attack/WWIII type situation where there wouldn't be any point in staying put because no one will be coming to help any time soon... if ever.

Obviously, unless you get on the road early and in haste you will get stuck in traffic. I would mainly consider using back roads... not to mention vehicles that can "move" things (think BIG metal bumpers instead of all plastic). Unfortunately my 1985 Crown Victoria is currently out of service after someone ran a red light and I went through the side of them going 30 mph [sad2] now my 1987 Grand Marquis (still mint) has become my main STHF vehicle [wink] Now I need to put heavy duty shocks, springs, and lifts in my Grand Marquis [rolleyes] so it will have the same off road ability my Crown Vic had.

Its hard to be prepared for everything...

I was thinking "worst case" natural-disaster/terrorist-attack/WWIII type situation where there wouldn't be any point in staying put because no one will be coming to help any time soon... if ever....

I can't think of any natural disaster that I would leave for unless my house got demolished. As long as the natural gas flows, I am pretty much good to go. 99% of that infrastructure is underground and it is pretty hard to damage.

[smile]I've started stacking supplies after the nasty ice storm this winter. Lost power for 2 weeks no internet/cable/phone for 3. And I got fired the night before. Now, I won't be caught off guard. Now I need a Zombie plan I guess.

[smile]I've started stacking supplies after the nasty ice storm this winter. Lost power for 2 weeks no internet/cable/phone for 3. And I got fired the night before. Now, I won't be caught off guard. Now I need a Zombie plan I guess.

This is the same event that got me off my butt. Now I have a generator that will run my whole house instead of the one I had during the storm and the subsequent two weeks in the dark that only ran the lights. Being with out water was the worst part. Never again. In rural Ma no power means no water!!!

+1 on the December ice storm catching me off guard and helping me smarten up. i was moving in that day so had no food preperations, water was still flowing, had heat from a wood stove (previous owner left a cord of dry wood thank god lol) but we had no cash, cars gas tanks were empty, none of the atms or gas pumps worked. we were generally cold at night when the stove went out, hungry, and couldnt go far to save what little gas we had. i plan to store gas soon, have all the cars filled all the time (which is tough since i use a 1/3 tank to get to work and back PER day.) plenty of food for me the wife the dog, and for a small amount of family that may stay with us to keep warm...plus a good chunk of water.

i dont think having a generator is that beneficial for us, especially in winter...cause we can keep our food cold outside, and we have heat covered...i dont really require tv and can go short periods of time without neshooters :)

I can't think of any natural disaster that I would leave for unless my house got demolished. As long as the natural gas flows, I am pretty much good to go. 99% of that infrastructure is underground and it is pretty hard to damage.

An earthquake could level your house and cause gas leaks in a few seconds. The New England area hasn't had a big one in a looong time (http://www.nesec.org/hazards/earthquakes.cfm). It would also affect a larger area because we are not on a fault line. Also an ice age like winter would also be a natural disaster (worse than the blizzard of 78). Just some things for you to think about. I know I don't have enough water, food, or fuel to warrant trying to wait anything major out. You have to know what you're ready for, if you can hold up for several months than that's good for YOU... not me [thinking] additionally, when you realize you can't hold up any longer would you already be out of supplies (too late to leave)?

An earthquake could level your house and cause gas leaks in a few seconds. The New England area hasn't had a big one in a looong time (http://www.nesec.org/hazards/earthquakes.cfm). It would also affect a larger area because we are not on a fault line. Also an ice age like winter would also be a natural disaster (worse than the blizzard of 78). Just some things for you to think about. I know I don't have enough water, food, or fuel to warrant trying to wait anything major out. You have to know what you're ready for, if you can hold up for several months than that's good for YOU... not me [thinking] additionally, when you realize you can't hold up any longer would you already be out of supplies (too late to leave)?
Well, no shit.....

If an earthquake hit here, yeah, I'd probably be gone.

Windstorms, loss of power for a couple of weeks, political unrest, deep snow: not leaving.

Well, no shit.....

If an earthquake hit here, yeah, I'd probably be gone.

Windstorms, loss of power for a couple of weeks, political unrest, deep snow: not leaving.

What about an asteroid? What if an asteroid took out your whole block? What then tough guy??? [wink]

I have the ability to stay put without any immediate concerns other than looters and structural damage to the house.
But the family place in Maine is much more desirable.

As for the Ice Storm reality check, We are planning to install a propane generator. Cheaper, cleaner, and more reliable than gasoline. Town Natural Gas can fail, as well as leak. Gasoline is expensive and goes bad after a couple months.
Bottled propane can sit for years without problems, is far more efficient than any other fuel (one large tank from a propane supplier can last weeks or more, depending on size), runs so clean that inhalition rarely causes harm, needs nearly no maintenance (propane is filtered before delivery and kept in a closed system, meaning less contaminants).
That's my plan for power anyway.

For annoying natural disasters... ie: ice storms, snow, anything that only lasts a few days to a few weeks... I'm staying. These aren't really SHTF situations for me anyhow.

But for a real things-will-never-be-the-same-again SHTF event I have a Plan A, B, and C for bugging out. I live in Cambridge... the LAST place I want to be in a TWNBTSA situation [wink]

For annoying natural disasters... ie: ice storms, snow, anything that only lasts a few days to a few weeks... I'm staying. These aren't really SHTF situations for me anyhow.

But for a real things-will-never-be-the-same-again SHTF event I have a Plan A, B, and C for bugging out. I live in Cambridge... the LAST place I want to be in a TWNBTSA situation [wink]

Same here. Things that are more of an inconvieniance than a SHTF survival situation would not be a reason to bug out.

I would sit tight, I have everything I need at home. I live on a quiet dead end road, and if SHTF, anyone willing to venture up that road would be in for a suprise.

In the event that I had to "bug out" I would go to my house in Maine.

sit tight,,, remain unnoticed for the short term, surviving on stored food and water, make no alliances,,,, let those with short triggers sort stuff out, defend only the immediate area. when supplys get to only a few days poke my head out,,, start recon in circles,, getting larger as danger is assessed. grab stuff from the losers where they lie. never draw attention,

While I have plans for both bugging out and staying put, I am much more prepared to stay put. While I have short term bug-out preparations made - You need to get out of here for a few days - I hardly have supplies and equipment prepped for an extended flight.

If the S Really HTF, most of my extended family would make their way here to me since they know I am better prepared and equipped than they are.

i am by no means a minimalist, and my toyota pickup is far to small to load up all the gear id want to take...(plus i love my house and could never leave it lol) so i will sit tight and fight until i run out of ammo

I think I would probably sit tight considering that I have no better/safer place to go. Probably do something similar like Dedmeat.

Back
Top Bottom