• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bug out/GO BAG (not in, the out)

Hips are supposed to be for the big loads

... Lately I've added a few sandbags to a backpack a couple times a week so I can get tired more quickly. ... I cinch down the chest and waist straps, but they're not really carrying any weight. ...

After an hour 20# is heavy in a traditional backpack. I haven't broken out the frame pack mostly because I don't want to be that guy who walks around the neighborhood with a big ass frame pack, but I'm certain that would make it much more comfortable.

I bet the frame pack would be more comfortable. For reasons I'll state below, if I had to carry a load for a long distance that would fit in either my 1700 in³ Mountainsmith Bugaboo backpack or my 6100 in³ Mountainsmith Crestone III internal frame pack, I'd pick the bigger pack even though it weighs 7lbs. 4oz. to the Bugaboo's 3lbs. 6oz. That's because the hip belt carries the load so well.

More than once I have put a spackle bucket mostly filled with rock samples (topped off with tools, etc). into the Crestone III. Once I get the sucker on my back and the hip belt snugged, I can adjust shoulder and chest straps at leisure, and then it's no problem carrying the load from the mineral locality to the car. Never more than a mile or two, but it's a breeze. Just try carrying a cubic foot of rock without a good hip belt. (You should see the guys carrying their spackle bucket full of rocks by hand - they're switching sides every 10 feet all the way down the hill).

What I'm getting at here is if you plan on walking any kind of distance with an appreciable weight, look for something with a frame and a waist belt intended to carry the weight. I really want to try the $45 pack from Walmart but I believe it will suck and I'll end up spending twice that or more on a proper bag.

While pack shopping a long time ago, I read an online article that said that the human pelvis is made to carry weight (the upper half of the body), but that shoulders are not made to carry weight; that hips can be used to transmit forces to the pelvis, but shoulders cannot transmit significant forces to any place strong enough to support it.

Old time trappers with woven pack baskets that fit over the shoulders must have been in agony with any kind of load to their shoulders. At best they're lucky they didn't know any better. I've wondered whether this technology has made it to paratroop gear, since they carry the most insane loads.

I found that when hiking with a pack >40 lbs, it's actually easier on my legs by not using the waist strap and having ride entirely on my shoulders, not sure if it's a blood flow problem or what. My most recent hike was 4 long days through the PNW rain forest, I did a lot better without the waist belt hooked up, carrying about 45-50 pounds soaking wet pack.

I've never done those kinds of distances, let alone with a full household load. But I wonder about your pack.

A good hip belt is padded, and is concave so that it cups your hips.

The first step of donning and adjusting a Mountainsmith pack is to bend over horizontal at the waist, get it on your back and your arms through the shoulder straps, with everything loose. Buckle and cinch the belt, straighten up and make sure that only the belt is carrying the load. Only then do you start tightening the shoulder straps, mainly to keep the pack from shifting around on your body. The final adjustments are to the chest strap.

Here we go, time doesn't seem to have dimmed that approach:

REI: Backpacks: Adjusting the Fit
(And yes, my big pack has load-lifters, and they're the penultimate step).

Maybe there's different body types, and your pack is better suited for you. You've got the experience; I'm just relating what I've read. Or maybe you're not using your pack's design as intended? There's a Tyvek adjustment checklist sewn inside my packs; the big pack has 8 discrete steps...

Last edited:
I've never done those kinds of distances, let alone with a full household load. But I wonder about your pack.

A good hip belt is padded, and is concave so that it cups your hips.

I've got a top of the line Gregory that I have had for years and I have literally hiked several hundred miles with it including Wrangell St Elias in Alaska for 200+ miles, I think it's just the way my body is built and the terrain. The heavier the pack and the steeper the climb the looser I make the hip belt otherwise my legs wear out very quickly. When on relatively flat ground I keep it tight though. I do believe it has something to do with blood circulation for me, even if I sit too long my legs will fall asleep! Been like that as long as I can remember.

There are several reasons that I like and suggested the Osprey packs. First, they use an integral frame. Second, that frame is ventilated in such a way that the pack itself is suspended off direct contact with your back, thus creating excellent airflow. Third, the pockets and features aren't just there for show: They make sense (Some of them appear very odd at first blush but once you use the pack, pockets are where you naturally reach for them and attachment points are in places that are useful rather than symmetrical). Last, they are stupid comfortable and handle weight well, especially in the warm months where heat and humidity are significant issues with carrying weight.

IMO, there are three things I consider important for any pack you are going to rely on in a critical situation that is needed to carry significant weight (over 20#):
1. Frame
2. Hydration
3. Hip belt

Obviously there are other pack mfg's out there but IMO Osprey is the best and the money isn't unreasonable for what you get if you can live without molle...

While i have bags capable of serving the task of a big ass bug out for days bag, eberlestock gunslinger, TAD EDC, and regular old ALICE among others, i dont have a dedicated "bug out" bag setup of that type. Anywhere i bug out to is going to be done with a vehicle as far as possible, gear and guns thrown in duffle bags and chucked into the truck, kit on my person. I think the bug out craze is a bit of fantasy.

However, i do keep a get home bag in my truck all the time in the event i was stranded and needed to live out of my vehicle or walk home.

Here's a good thread on that topic and my post from it: https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/288203-Get-Home-Bag-in-your-vehicle-vehicle-kits

Unlike my usual self in a situation like mass riots/terrorist attack/grid failure etc, if my vehicle was disabled or vehicle traffic was not an option, I think the best route to use would be to go with the grey man attitude. My commute takes me through some small urban areas. So I have as my GHB a regular black camelback hawg.

I have a 2L hydro bladder in it that I keep full as well as extra water in the truck.
Basic medical
Basic survival tools, fire starter, matches etc.
Some cordage
A good knife
Sunglasses
lip balm
A poncho
Multitool
Extra ammo for my carry gun
Extra ammo for any long gun I may have in the truck
Some cash
Some energy bars.
Compass, map, and Google earth images of my planned route.

My idea is if I need to bail out of my truck and walk home I can cover the 20 miles or so in a day or two on foot if I move out. I want to look like every other schmuck out there if I have to.

Here's some pics of my bag.

Another layer of discussion to add to this: if something like this happened, have you discussed it with friends and family? Do you have rally points? Comms? Does your wife have a similar kit? All valid questions which one should ponder.

^^^ That's a lot of tent stakes. If they're for vampires, you know they have to be wooden, right.

In other news, we need to resolve this quickly because I have a hankering to buy a new bag and both EMS and REI are having sales on bags. I might have to swing by EMS one of these nights and try a few on. I think they have weighted bags to put in them to get a good feel.

^^^ That's a lot of tent stakes. If they're for vampires, you know they have to be wooden, right.

In other news, we need to resolve this quickly because I have a hankering to buy a new bag and both EMS and REI are having sales on bags. I might have to swing by EMS one of these nights and try a few on. I think they have weighted bags to put in them to get a good feel.

http://www.moosejaw.com/

20% off one item sale.

fwiw, your pack needs are totally subjective to your location and plan. the idea that you're going to be able to haul everything you need to survive for 10+days on your back is sort of ridiculous. In reality, you're going to need to resupply as you go--including foraging and water resupply.

I agree that tacitcool is no good for me. Being able to reach pockets on the go has great value though. Agility and pack access is important for security.

in sum, if you're in the back country, the wilderness is the enemy--carry all you can. in more urban/suburban areas people are the danger and all that gear is just going to impeded your ability to defend yourself and make you a juicy target.

Where are the tent stakes? I see zip ties

Where are the tent stakes? I see zip ties
This reminds me. If you're going to rely on zip ties, make sure you get some with a good cold-weather rating (-20*/-40*). I had some cheapos snap on me, in the cold yesterday.

This reminds me. If you're going to rely on zip ties, make sure you get some with a good cold-weather rating (-20*/-40*). I had some cheapos snap on me, in the cold yesterday.

Metal inserts are key with quality zip ties. $0.02

I have a few biggish wooden crates for bug out stuff.

They are next to a pile of packs , from single sling man purse to large Alice , with a size spectrum of tactical assault packs in between.

I finally realized , for me , the most sensible thing is to put the crap I want for an "event" on the table, and then pick the bag that makes sense. Most people do it the other way around.

This may seem kind of crazy, but it's true.

I used to have a dream once in a while where there was some emergency going on and I would be rummaging through all my gear and food trying to pack it up and go. As with all dreams, nothing works out.

Since I packed up a go bag, I don't have that dream anymore. I guess it's due to the small sense of security you get from being prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More of a "grab bag," I prefer my TAD Litespeed- my MR ASAP has been demoted to gym bag...awesome compartmentalization and I can wear it all day without breaking my back. Not a TON of room, though, but it is a slick rig. Keeps all my first aid supplies, backup batteries, flashlight, lickies and chewies etc. with extra room for ammo and such.

Lots of carbine case ideas here:
carbine case

such as:
I've been toying with the Idea of using a multi-racket tennis bag as a low profile carry case for short trips to the range.
The multi-racket bags are padded between the compartments and an M4-type AR with upper and lower seperated will fit into seperate compartments.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilson-Racket-Triples-Equipment-Bag/15739931

Plenty long enough...
0088381359116_180X180.jpg

Tennis Anyone?

MORE HERE:
AR carry case for the T

If I have to bug out of SoNH, it's only because the blockades at Rt3 and I93 failed. [smile] Seriously, we have some D-Bags here, but it's the sheer overwhelming numbers heading North that would be the driving force to bug-out, barring nuclear fall-out TEOTWAWKI type stuff.

That said, I work in Boston, so my Get Home bag has to have the option of riding with me on my folding bicycle back home. Much over 20lb, just ain't going to work on a bicycle. I keep more in the car, to get me as far North as I can, but when the traffic stalls out, I'm out of the SUV. I figure to NOT be in town for a looming financial meltdown, impending epidemics, etc., but a SHTF disaster is hard to plan for in advance. "Hunkering Down" in the SoBOS office seems like a bad idea - GTF out ASAP is my plan.

Yeah, I'm one of those idiots who gets up and leaves when the fire alarms go off. Missing all those Brave Guys points for working until flames are licking at my LCD screen.

Sling Packs really hurt after a while, so 2-straps for sure, on both the bicycle GHB and walking bag. I have the Condor Urban Go Pack for the larger walking GHB, bought before they called it that. Nice name - I might buy another! If I have to go on bicycle, the customized Echo-Sigma GHB takes over, with firearms lightened. A G15 and Keltec Sub-2000 Glock make a light pair with G17 pre-ban mags.

Back
Top Bottom