Bug out/GO BAG (not in, the out)

My frequent 100+ mile from home job unfortunately precludes me from using such a small bag, especially in the winter months. Great choice if you work close (walking distance within a day) to home.

If you're using that to bug out to an alternate location, especially in winter, I think you're under prepared.

I agree with xtry51. That bag looks too small to hold what you need to have packed in it. I'd also avoid going with anything "tacticool" looking like that one. My bag is a hiking pack. It's a greenish color that blends in fairly well. It holds everything that I need to get home.

Looks like a Jumbo Versipack knock off to me, which does hold a good amount of stuff.

I was screwing around with it one day for sh*ts and giggles and managed to stuff in a light Columbia rain jacket, a spare pair of socks, Jetboil(with 25ft of firecord inside with the regular bits), a
11' 10" x 9' 4" tarp, 32oz. Nalgene bottle(swap it out for a wide mouth and get more storage), three spare full size pistol magazines, a tin of waterproofed matches, a tube of sunscreen, and a full roll of real TP(none of that giant cheese wheel ½ ply BS[yeah I was bored one day and wanted to see what the foodsaver would do to it [laugh] ]). There was still a bit of room for food in the main compartment, probably enough for an SOL emergency bag and space blanket to reflect heat, a few power bars, a few 5 hour energy drinks, and possibly two MH meals(if I squeezed them in or took them out of the bags and vacuum sealed them).

As for clothing I usually have a bag in the trunk with an extra set of clothes(and definitely extra winter layers) along with first aid stuff. Toss the sillcock key in the bag and water procurement just got real easy.

Actually since I' didn't use the pistol compartment I just gained a lot more room for food items and/or magazines.

I stay away from man purses. If you have to move quickly or scale objects it's going to be bouncing all over the place. I never understood the fascination with these purses.

I agree with xtry51. That bag looks too small to hold what you need to have packed in it. I'd also avoid going with anything "tacticool" looking like that one. My bag is a hiking pack. It's a greenish color that blends in fairly well. It holds everything that I need to get home.
+1
a dedicated hiking pack is a great idea

I stay away from man purses. If you have to move quickly or scale objects it's going to be bouncing all over the place. I never understood the fascination with these purses.

One nice thing is the ability to get into it without taking it off, like you would have to with a backpack.

One nice thing is the ability to get into it without taking it off, like you would have to with a backpack.

HPG chest pack solves that problem and you still don't have a purse bouncing around when you are running or climbing.

You guys want to carry a purse, by all means do so. IMO the pros out weigh the cons with using one. I thought they were stupid the first time one of my buddies wore his GO-bag purse to the range and tried to run his weapons while wearing it. He quickly realized it wasn't so "tacti-cool" anymore and promptly ditched it.

HPG chest pack solves that problem and you still don't have a purse bouncing around when you are running or climbing.

You guys want to carry a purse, by all means do so. IMO the pros out weigh the cons with using one. I thought they were stupid the first time one of my buddies wore his GO-bag purse to the range and tried to run his weapons while wearing it. He quickly realized it wasn't so "tacti-cool" anymore and promptly ditched it.

This is really the crux of everything. Any idea that you have that looks good on paper, just needs to be tested. Its simple. Retarded ideas fall apart in the first 30 minutes (or seconds), and then you can move on.

IMO if you can't carry your loaded go bag all day in a non stressful situation then you sure as shit aren't going to be happy lugging it around when under stress.

I like Osprey's backpacks bc they are light, carry well, have an integrated rain cover, and a ton of advanced features like pockets on the straps. Great bags in all sizes.

Last edited:
Check out the packs from Source Tactical. MOLLE isn't just for military packs any more so if it isn't camo I doubt it would call much attention. The source tactical bags are light, well made, come with an excellent hydration system, and are designed around belt gear and armor. I have a Patrol 35L for a get home bag and I love it. I wish I had gotten the Double D 45L pack though as it is just a bit bigger.
http://sourcetacticalgear.com/33-packs

I have one. I packed it full of supplies and tried it out a few times. It does hold a ton of shit. I eventually had to keep a hand on it to keep it from bouncing. Also, the single strap means one shoulder gets sore and they aren't reversible. The chest strap provides minimal help and just makes it harder to maneuver to get into. The ability to attach it to a belt is also a marginal improvement.

Honestly, the only thing I like about it is it has a water bottle holder and a velcro field in the zippered pocket where I slapped a Maxpedition universal holster + mag holder. The pockets are all pretty good, but the sling style is just not comfortable. It sits on the floor in my living room where it doesn't bother my shoulder one bit. If I needed it to bug out, I'd throw it in a backpack.

Check out RibzWear.

For hiking/camping I keep my essentials in that and anything I don't need quick access to goes in the backpack. I have the smaller version and it holds a ton of stuff with room to spare. There's no interference with my backpack. For quick hikes I often use just the RibzWear.

Question to the OP: What's you'r end game?

We'd likely need to know a rough distance you want to cover in order to make suggestions. Pressing issues would be how many days on foot to get where you want to be? Do you have an alternate mode of transportation, like a mountain bike to improve distance per day that we would need to take into consideration?

Question to the OP: What's you'r end game?

We'd likely need to know a rough distance you want to cover in order to make suggestions. Pressing issues would be how many days on foot to get where you want to be? Do you have an alternate mode of transportation, like a mountain bike to improve distance per day that we would need to take into consideration?

I guess I worded this wrong it wasn't really to compare to me it was to explain what you guys use...

My use for that style bag is not long term survival or setting up a relief shelter hah.

It's medical supplies, some snacks, hydration and warmth... I don't have any need to collapse a rifle in there, it fits ammunition with ease. Also I'm willing to bet a good portion of us wouldn't scale a wall with no bag on, so that's not really an issue.

I made two of these bags and tossed one in each of my vehicles. I made a smaller square style duffle bag up for the girlfriend which has lights, food, water, warmth, radio, cell phone boost pack... Ect.

One can only imagine the words that were said to encourage said purse ditching. Must have been a lot of laughs that day.

;-)

Also, just thought of this:

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure of the newer versions(as I understand it some features have changed) of the Maxpedition but mine does have a belt on it. Swing it around to your back and cinch it down and it acts like a buttpack for a rucksack, it's not going anywhere.

Initially I picked it up to use as a small camera bag whenever I'd head out exploring abandoned areas with my rangefinders(or one Dslr an a few primes) because it has a belt. One of the camera forums I'm on had the topic of gear insurance came up with someone asking about different companies policies, me being a smart ass I posted a pic of one of my pistols on the bag. [laugh] Although it does do double duty as an indoor range bag that I dump everything into.

IMO if you can't carry your loaded go bag all day in a non stressful situation then you sure as shit aren't going to be happy lugging it around when under stress.

I like Osprey's backpacks bc they are light, carry well, have an integrated rain cover, and a ton of advanced features like pockets on the straps. Great bags in all sizes.

love my old osprey, but for my go bag...I prefer a fanny pack. I can fit a tube of KY, a camera, a few gluten free snacky cakes and a double ended dildo in it and I'm good to go.

a bug out bag should be much larger and have some waist straps to take a little of the load off your shoulders. My bag will be filled with mostly freeze dried food. how long do you plan on living with a limited bag?

love my old osprey, but for my go bag...I prefer a fanny pack. I can fit a tube of KY, a camera, a few gluten free snacky cakes and a double ended dildo in it and I'm good to go.

I'm not sure how a fanny pack qualifies as a bug out bag unless all you have in there is cyanide?

I was using a standard backpack as my get home back, but I really want to go back to something with a legit, padded waist belt (the previous pack I was using had a waist belt, but was a bit small for what I wanted to carry day-to-day). I don't have a ton of stuff in there, but even carrying 20lbs all on your shoulders for 15 or 20 miles is annoying. I went with a backpack because it was something I was going to have with me every day, and I didn't want a tacticool bag. Looks like I need to review some daypack options.

After retiring from running I've begun walking a lot more. Lately I've added a few sandbags to a backpack a couple times a week so I can get tired more quickly. If I were tacticool I suppose I'd call it rucking. I cinch down the chest and waist straps, but they're not really carrying any weight. On trails I find I need to be extra careful as I get tired because I get a little sloppy with my feet.

After an hour 20# is heavy in a traditional backpack. I haven't broken out the frame pack mostly because I don't want to be that guy who walks around the neighborhood with a big ass frame pack, but I'm certain that would make it much more comfortable.

What I'm getting at here is if you plan on walking any kind of distance with an appreciable weight, look for something with a frame and a waist belt intended to carry the weight. I really want to try the $45 pack from Walmart but I believe it will suck and I'll end up spending twice that or more on a proper bag.

After retiring from running I've begun walking a lot more. Lately I've added a few sandbags to a backpack a couple times a week so I can get tired more quickly. If I were tacticool I suppose I'd call it rucking. I cinch down the chest and waist straps, but they're not really carrying any weight. On trails I find I need to be extra careful as I get tired because I get a little sloppy with my feet.

After an hour 20# is heavy in a traditional backpack. I haven't broken out the frame pack mostly because I don't want to be that guy who walks around the neighborhood with a big ass frame pack, but I'm certain that would make it much more comfortable.

What I'm getting at here is if you plan on walking any kind of distance with an appreciable weight, look for something with a frame and a waist belt intended to carry the weight. I really want to try the $45 pack from Walmart but I believe it will suck and I'll end up spending twice that or more on a proper bag.

I found that when hiking with a pack >40 lbs, it's actually easier on my legs by not using the waist strap and having ride entirely on my shoulders, not sure if it's a blood flow problem or what. My most recent hike was 4 long days through the PNW rain forest, I did a lot better without the waist belt hooked up, carrying about 45-50 pounds soaking wet pack.

I found that when hiking with a pack >40 lbs, it's actually easier on my legs by not using the waist strap and having ride entirely on my shoulders, not sure if it's a blood flow problem or what. My most recent hike was 4 long days through the PNW rain forest, I did a lot better without the waist belt hooked up, carrying about 45-50 pounds soaking wet pack.

Hmm. So that's one for column A and one for column B. [smile]

I started out with a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I discovered Sling packs suck, moved to a 3 day assault pack, it was too big and no hip belt, moved to the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II thinking if it was smaller I wouldn't need the hip belt. I still use it but it is more of a vehicle bag. I carry the Osprey Talon 22, it blends in better than the Maxpedition packs do in everyday use. It is a large 22 liter so I am on the look for something a bit smaller. Since I have my daily carry just about figured out I will see what is out there that isn't tactical and the right size for me, Jansport, The North, Face Osprey all do not draw attention to you

We are definitely not going to be bug out buddies[laugh]

I started out with a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I discovered Sling packs suck, moved to a 3 day assault pack, it was too big and no hip belt, moved to the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II thinking if it was smaller I wouldn't need the hip belt. I still use it but it is more of a vehicle bag. I carry the Osprey Talon 22, it blends in better than the Maxpedition packs do in everyday use. It is a large 22 liter so I am on the look for something a bit smaller. Since I have my daily carry just about figured out I will see what is out there that isn't tactical and the right size for me, Jansport, The North, Face Osprey all do not draw attention to you

Is the waist belt on the Osprey considered weight bearing? I see they have a Talon 11, which I assume is smaller. I might fool around with my NF pack a little more to see if I'm just not using it correctly, but I'm also in the market for something moar better.

I have a North Face Borealis that is really comfortable for everyday use. It's become a range bag, but I'm thinking about swapping it back in to carry my food to/from work. With the exception of one strap that got partially damaged in the wash, it still looks and feels brand new.

I don't know if they still make it, but it's larger than 22L.

FYI: EMS is having a 20% off sale right now.

Is the waist belt on the Osprey considered weight bearing? I see they have a Talon 11, which I assume is smaller. I might fool around with my NF pack a little more to see if I'm just not using it correctly, but I'm also in the market for something moar better.

I have a North Face Borealis that is really comfortable for everyday use. It's become a range bag, but I'm thinking about swapping it back in to carry my food to/from work. With the exception of one strap that got partially damaged in the wash, it still looks and feels brand new.

I don't know if they still make it, but it's larger than 22L.

FYI: EMS is having a 20% off sale right now.
on the 22 yes, it is long enough to end up on my hips, I havn't had more than around 10lbs in it so yrmv

I guess I worded this wrong it wasn't really to compare to me it was to explain what you guys use...

My use for that style bag is not long term survival or setting up a relief shelter hah.

It's medical supplies, some snacks, hydration and warmth... I don't have any need to collapse a rifle in there, it fits ammunition with ease. Also I'm willing to bet a good portion of us wouldn't scale a wall with no bag on, so that's not really an issue.

I made two of these bags and tossed one in each of my vehicles. I made a smaller square style duffle bag up for the girlfriend which has lights, food, water, warmth, radio, cell phone boost pack... Ect.

Ok, apparently what you have there is a snack pack. Plenty of room for your Redbull, salted nuts and potato chips and your favorite cherry flavored gum.

On a more serious note my recommendation would be a medium size back pack. Considering how cheap you could put one together is a no brainer to have a larger variety of essential items without cutting yourself short at the expense of a little extra weight.

Back
Top Bottom