• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bug Out Fishing Kit

Wanted to see what everyone is carrying in their bug out bag fishing kit. What are your thoughts on what to carry, how much of each thing, and what is most important to you? Here is a video of my long term bug out fishing kit and I think it includes just about everything someone would need. You can always add more but I put my emphasis on lightweight! Look forward to hearing some new ideas from everyone.Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
He's lugging all of that around? Have a few dozen hooks, different sizes if you like, a few hundred yards of line and a bag or two of synthetic worms or a can of corn. Maybe a few small weights to get some distance out of your cast.

He sitting next to a pile of horse crap?

I too am shocked at how much stuff he has with him. His snare kit alone is a full hip pouch. The fishing kit is half a ruck. 2 spools of cord, 2 spools of mono-line, 20 compartment clear tackle box. And that doesn't include anything for making fire, collecting, treating to carrying water, or building shelter yet.

I agree - couple dozen hooks, pack of small weights, couple hundred feet of clear mono line and maybe a few bobbers.

Jug Line Fishing is much more effective for survival fishing than line fishing - http://www.ehow.com/how_2049806_go-jug-line-fishing.html. Set it up when you're making camp and you can check the line when you're done - if it's bare, go to sleep and check it again in the morning.

If you want to guaranteed catch fish - here is all you need:

1) Some 10lb line (heavier is less likey to break but cannot cast as far)
2) Small hooks - like 2 or 3 would fit on your pinky finger nail small.
3) Bait - worms (look under a log) - bugs, bread

Tie on the small hook, bait the thing and use like a throw line, keep the slack out so you can 'feel' the hook drop, then jig it back to shore.

I have never had this fail when fish were near - at any part of the day. Sunfish, Perch, even a small pickerel (not recommended due to the line ripping thru your skin). Using the smallest hooks gets you food when you need it.

Bought a couple of the gimmick telescoping pen sized roda that come w/reel/lure kit all packed in a case the size of 2 stacked TV Guides. Popped in a pkg. of the freeze dried grubs in each for guaranteed bait avail..Wouldn't want to catch a 4# smallmouth on em but great for brookies etc.. And yes they do work quite well..

Last edited:
Assuming the fish cops have something better to do after the apocalypse[grin] wouldn't a net be the most effective? Or a car battery and two metal rods. You want to fish or do you want to eat?

Back
Top Bottom