Bug out experiment

I'd like to plan a bug out experiment. The idea that I have is that if something horrible were to happen and I was forced to leave home walking might be the only way out. So what I would like to do is pack all the crap I have and give it a work out. See what works and what doesn't. What I need and what I don't. Ideally carrying a rifle would be best but that may not be possible. I did a search and found that in NH you have to open carry your handgun. What about Maine, Vermont or other suggested places?

Give me some suggestions on where would be a good two day hike with parking and if possible be gun friendly. I understand that open carrying a rifle may not be possible. Also if anyone is interested in joining up for this let me know. I'd like to do this by the end of September.

I'd like to plan a bug out experiment. The idea that I have is that if something horrible were to happen and I was forced to leave home walking might be the only way out. So what I would like to do is pack all the crap I have and give it a work out. See what works and what doesn't. What I need and what I don't. Ideally carrying a rifle would be best but that may not be possible. I did a search and found that in NH you have to open carry your handgun. What about Maine, Vermont or other suggested places?

Give me some suggestions on where would be a good two day hike with parking and if possible be gun friendly. I understand that open carrying a rifle may not be possible. Also if anyone is interested in joining up for this let me know. I'd like to do this by the end of September.

Get a NH non-res permit and you can conceal carry. It's $100 for 4 years I think? or 5 years?

Sounds like fun, I wouldn't carry a rifle if I were you just a pack, maybe something "rifle sized". If you are in NH or ME carrying a rifle probably wouldn't be a huge deal but I wouldn't in MA. I've thought about making the trip from my work to home with my get-home bag but I guess it's not something I care to do for fun (it's about 35 miles). Even at a decent clip it would take me close to a day walking straight to get home.

Once I purchase my chunk of land for play in NH you'd be welcome to do this there.
But in the meantime you can conceal in VT and NH if you have a non res permit. I believe open is allowed in ME but you need a permit to conceal - Is it just like NH?

Why not go somewhere you can hunt and just walk around, that way you can lug your rifle around through the woods?

Wait, are you walking or parking? Can't do both. Or are you just going to practice walking around with what you might have in your bag? Confused.

Why would you walk In the woods by yourself. Everyone else is thinking the same thing. You will be a lone man in a hungry angry world. Maybe the expedient should be you cut the power at a buddies house and see how that goes. Probably more realistic

so you're not leaving from home, you're just walking around someplace you can test out your personal load out?

as far as gun friendly goes, I'd head to western MA or up north...I guess you want a trail that's off the beaten path, as during a bug-out scenario, you'd also want to avoid people.

I think he's suggesting going on a two day hike with only his BOB and seeing what he needs and what doesn't. He would prefer a place with parking, i.e. a trail head, etc. However, that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole walking being your only way out thing. Knowing people who've thru-hiked the Appalachian trail, I can tell you right now you probably don't need 3/4 of what you'll bring.

I think he's suggesting going on a two day hike with only his BOB and seeing what he needs and what doesn't. He would prefer a place with parking, i.e. a trail head, etc. However, that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole walking being your only way out thing. Knowing people who've thru-hiked the Appalachian trail, I can tell you right now you probably don't need 3/4 of what you'll bring.

Yes the idea is to go for a long hike with bob crap only. Park the car and go. I also think that many things that end up as needed are probably not. That's kinda the point. If you start from the sure, absolute essentials, then you understand what else is needed. You don't need 20 mags filled with ammo, armor, etc for a typical hike but can you lug all that crap for miles?

People have all kinds of gear for possible scenarios but it never gets used or worn. I bet some people still have stuff in amazon boxes or with price tags still on them.

You need to have more-clearly defined parameters if you're going to do an experiment.

If you're going to go to the deep woods when TSHTF, you need a goal. Are you heading to a specific location, or just "away"?

What you need to live for a few days can be tested in the back yard. If you want to see how you will fare with a pile of crap on your back, just fill a pack with 50 pounds of crap, and go a-walking.

You need to have more-clearly defined parameters if you're going to do an experiment.

If you're going to go to the deep woods when TSHTF, you need a goal. Are you heading to a specific location, or just "away"?

What you need to live for a few days can be tested in the back yard. If you want to see how you will fare with a pile of crap on your back, just fill a pack with 50 pounds of crap, and go a-walking.

If something bad were to happen i would never run to the woods thinking that I could survive. i personally believe that is a bad idea. Is it possible that that there would be something that could force an evacuation of an area and force people to move to a new location? Sure, could vehicle evacuation be a problem yea. Look at week day rush hour.

As for testing in my back yard. i don't have one. The idea of doing a trail was to get out to a place that were I have the ability to do some camping and have a set distance that I need to cover in a set time table and enjoy the out doors a bit.

I didn't read.all the answers but 2 things, if things got so bad you have to bail, I don't think anyone is going to care about open or concealed carry. And you need a plan. You just cant on a lark pick up a bag and rifle and walk out the door. You have to know where you are going to go, several possible routes for different scenarios. Have a family, they need rally points.to meet up. This bug out stuff is more than what a lot of people think. I saw a utube film of a family doing bug out drills at night. They have several go to locations that should take no more than 24 hrs to get to on foot. They go as a family to one of them every few months loaded down with what they need to carry, weapons included. "Bugging out" isn't a weekend get a way and drills shouldn't be a night out with the guys over a couple of beers if you're serious. Just my thoughts is all.

So really what you're trying to say is you want to go back packing for a few days.

You know basically that's what I think it boils down to. I had some ideas in my head but when you boil it down it's backpacking with some extra stuff, maybe.

Leaving from Braintree?

What are you bugging out from?
End of any organized governmental authority?
Northeaster?
Ebola outbreak?
Democratic national convention?

I you don't have someplace to go, it will be difficult to tell if it's better off.

Roll up hammock tent, can also be used as a normal tent .
Blanket
Knife/hatchet
Fire starter
Pot to boil water / cook in.
Ak
Some clothes or pants that are zipper shorts.

All this other stuff is non-essential if the world goes to shit. Fire starter really? Ever go to Boy Scouts? You can make a fire with sticks.

Yes the idea is to go for a long hike with bob crap only. Park the car and go. I also think that many things that end up as needed are probably not. That's kinda the point. If you start from the sure, absolute essentials, then you understand what else is needed. You don't need 20 mags filled with ammo, armor, etc for a typical hike but can you lug all that crap for miles?

People have all kinds of gear for possible scenarios but it never gets used or worn. I bet some people still have stuff in amazon boxes or with price tags still on them.

Are you planning to abandon your car when you bug out for real? If so, why? I would stay near my car, and pack it full of stuff, not just one backpack.

All this other stuff is non-essential if the world goes to shit. Fire starter really? Ever go to Boy Scouts? You can make a fire with sticks.

It's saves time using a fire starter they fit in the change pocket in your pants.
Every watch naked and afraid or survival shows like that . You can waste a lot of time trying to start a fire . Ever try to start a fire with a bow? I'd rather carry some thing that doesn't weigh any thing then wast time.

Pot to boil water / cook in ...
b52021dd3658b7ae5b9f720ef6bc5e1a.jpg

Very few things you can find in the wild you can boil water in. Most would burn before your able to . You can use one of these or the thermos style to boil your water in and keep some for your travel . You can try using hot rocks dropped in the water to boil water but I'd rather make sure I boiled it right vs shitting my brains out.

Small hammock tent . Weighs next to nothing doesn't take up a lot of space.
Quick shelter that get you off the ground. If there's not thick enough trees you can use it on the ground .

Knife and gun shouldn't need to be explained . Thing that sucks is not all rifles work for all things.
If you could find a shot gun / .22 combo would be the best . .22 for small game . Shot and slugs for bigger / human game .

Clothes depend on where you are . If it's New England your kinda screwed . You keep clothes for different weather . Or you ditch clothes and make new ones from what you kill . Depending on the season.

I'm thinking more along the lines of staying in the woods for a long time vs a few days hiking to a cabin your holding up at.

If that's the case . Give me a gun and enough water .

Are you planning to abandon your car when you bug out for real? If so, why? I would stay near my car, and pack it full of stuff, not just one backpack.

IF (again all of this strays to extremes) something happened and you needed to leave your area be it flood, fire, hurrican/tornado, earth quake, exploding nuclear facility, zombie plague, and everyone else in the area needed to leave also they would be on the roads. Chances are that most people don't keep their gas tank above half. so in extreme traffic people will break down, people will get into accidents. you might have to leave your car and walk to family/friends house. How much can you/are you going to carry? Are you going to sit on 95 and break out your supplies and set up shop?

It's saves time using a fire starter they fit in the change pocket in your pants.
Every watch naked and afraid or survival shows like that . You can waste a lot of time trying to start a fire . Ever try to start a fire with a bow? I'd rather carry some thing that doesn't weigh any thing then wast time.

Pot to boil water / cook in ...
b52021dd3658b7ae5b9f720ef6bc5e1a.jpg

Very few things you can find in the wild you can boil water in. Most would burn before your able to . You can use one of these or the thermos style to boil your water in and keep some for your travel . You can try using hot rocks dropped in the water to boil water but I'd rather make sure I boiled it right vs shitting my brains out.

Small hammock tent . Weighs next to nothing doesn't take up a lot of space.
Quick shelter that get you off the ground. If there's not thick enough trees you can use it on the ground .

Knife and gun shouldn't need to be explained . Thing that sucks is not all rifles work for all things.
If you could find a shot gun / .22 combo would be the best . .22 for small game . Shot and slugs for bigger / human game .

Clothes depend on where you are . If it's New England your kinda screwed . You keep clothes for different weather . Or you ditch clothes and make new ones from what you kill . Depending on the season.

I'm thinking more along the lines of staying in the woods for a long time vs a few days hiking to a cabin your holding up at.

If that's the case . Give me a gun and enough water .

I just got a swedish military trangia stove set that i'm anxious to try. I have a hennesy hammock with the super shelter add on that I haven't used yet either. light weight and versatile.

Leaving from Braintree?

What are you bugging out from?
End of any organized governmental authority?
Northeaster?
Ebola outbreak?
Democratic national convention?

I you don't have someplace to go, it will be difficult to tell if it's better off.

I think something has been over looked. The idea is to get out and test some gear. IF something put me on the move I would need to carry all my supplies. I would not leave except under the most extreme circumstances. i'm not a survival expert. But how many people have bug out shit that never get taken out of the wrapper? how many people have a plate carrier that has never been worn except in the bathroom to see how it looks? My idea was to take all that stuff and go for a two day hike and wear it all. See what is crap (need to replace) what get in the way (need to move) what is useless (katana I don't own one but some people do think it's essential).

If nothing else but to get used to the weight of carrying a pack, this might be a valid exercise. I still don't see the point of bugging out to the woods at all...ever, but not everyone has a secondary bug out shelter I guess.

Back to to the main point though, most people have no idea what it's like to carry a heavily weighted pack for more than a few miles...and from my experience, it's NOT something you can just pick up and do without training.

I'm an experienced backpacker/Marine...and have carried packs with FAR too much garbage in them for training for longer distances than I would have ever wanted. It takes a lot more than you think. Add a flak with sappie plates/Kevlar/and a rifle...you've got a god damn heavy load on your feet.

just for shits...try carrying your rifle around with you tomorrow...just your rifle slung in any confortable configuration you can think of. If you HAVE to put it down, make sure it is within 1 arms distance. Tell me how you feel about your rifle after you have done this. All those mall ninja accessories don't look so cool anymore, eh?

I live enough in the woods that if I ever feel the need to "bug out" into deeper woods, I'm ****ed!

I think something has been over looked. The idea is to get out and test some gear. .
Then go test some gear! There all sorts of great places to hike. Any experienced hiker could put together what is needed in 30-40 lbs, depending on how much water you carried and the season. Unless the weather is bad, you don't need to be building a fire: that's a creature comfort, a luxury.

My observation is that many people here plan for firearms, shelter, food, water, and first aid when it should probably be the opposite order.

And unless you have friends or inlaws that live 40-50 miles away, a two day hike is completely arbitrary, not any real planning scenario.

I think the success rate is pretty low, low enough to justify carrying matches, a ferro rod, even flint and steel.

I think the success rate is pretty low, low enough to justify carrying a Boy Scout.
FFY. Carrying matches is not a big problem. Whether there is a time or scenario where in the course of putting metro Boston behind you on foot you would want to stop to heat something is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom