Bug out bags in actual use

Funny thing though. I have probably bought lunch for about a dozen homeless guys who were panhandling. Once they realized they would get a sandwich and nothing else most would be quite willing to talk. Maybe one of them was truly homeless and a couple were living in vehicles. the rest all had homes, families and day jobs. There are real homeless people, but they can be harder to find than you think.

My sister is homeless; I should have bought her a sandwich for her birthday instead of that Amazon gift card.

My sister is homeless; I should have bought her a sandwich for her birthday instead of that Amazon gift card.

Amazon gift card ? Isn't that kinda like buying her drapes? Like, even if she went to the library to use it, picked out something and went to "check out", the whole "Ship to address" thing ....

Amazon gift card ? Isn't that kinda like buying her drapes? Like, even if she went to the library to use it, picked out something and went to "check out", the whole "Ship to address" thing ....

I use the term "homeless" loosely. It's more of a "between places to live" situation. I had the gift card mailed to her friend's house where she's staying at the moment. [wink]

Funny thing though. I have probably bought lunch for about a dozen homeless guys who were panhandling. Once they realized they would get a sandwich and nothing else most would be quite willing to talk. Maybe one of them was truly homeless and a couple were living in vehicles. the rest all had homes, families and day jobs. There are real homeless people, but they can be harder to find than you think.
yea those real free range homeless are hard to find but would make good eatin if the SHTF. [laugh]

last time i read a thread here on bob's, the biggest concern you guys had was was getting stranded overnight during a storm in your car. some wanted to store 5 gallons of water, a case or two of survival meals, pillows, sleeping bags, shotguns, handguns and several boxes of ammo. hand crank radios, topo maps, fishing line and hooks, 100 feet of para cord, etc, etc, etc, etc. all for less than 24 hours stranded in the wilds of lexington on 128 during the next big snow. man, we 'mericans have it too good.

When I lived in Oregon I liked to go driving out into the middle of nowhere on fire and FS roads then get out and wander around. I had enough in the truck to comfortably spend the night if I got stuck or broke down, or simply wandered too long and didn't feel like driving out in the dark. Basic small survival kit, of course, but the functional actually use stuff was a couple gallons of water, few protein bars, few Ramen noodles, little isobutane hiking stove and lightweight metal mug. And a few road flares - I CAN start a fire with a cerro rod and dryer lint if I have to, but a lighter is easier, and sticking a flare into a pile of kindling is even easier yet. Used that stuff frequently when I wasn't even far into the woods or alone, just on the river bar and didn't feel like leaving but I was hungry or thirsty. All you really need for 24 hours or less. Oh, and a fifth of whatever hard liquor. Few years ago that tended to get rotated out - reason and result for just staying the night. If I'm going to be stuck overnight anyways...

I probably should move the small survival kit from a small Pelican case into a bag, but honestly I put it together as a demo model for a Scout thing my son's Troop was working on, and the truck seemed like a logical place to keep it. Added and tweaked a couple things on 'their' list from their book.

Just redid mine. I realized my pant size had changed ant went through the whole thing!
Man I have some neat stuff!

Back
Top Bottom