• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bug out bags.... and the guns you put in them

I gotta a Ruger PC carbine and a G17 in my bag, both 9mm and take the same mags and the carbine splits in half but with mags and ammo yes, it is heavy. I figure if we need to split I ain't going alone so one bag has food, clothes, first aid, stuff like that and the other is guns, knives, ammo, etc. The bags are always evolving however...lol
Lol that's the truth

Like i said mine is a 45 mile swamp hike so i have 3 days of food
45 miles threw a swamp, the way the crow flies or 45 miles on a road next to a swamp with a few over nights in the swampy area?

I now have a small pump .410 in my truck with a pistol grip, its only 4-5 lbs and two boxes of ammo take less room than one box of 20g that I used to carry. This is to go along with my g26 edc ( couple of spare mags ) plus a small bag filled with the normal stuff and food for two nights on the road.

45 miles threw a swamp, the way the crow flies or 45 miles on a road next to a swamp with a few over nights in the swampy area?

I now have a small pump .410 in my truck with a pistol grip, its only 4-5 lbs and two boxes of ammo take less room than one box of 20g that I used to carry. This is to go along with my g26 edc ( couple of spare mags ) plus a small bag filled with the normal stuff and food for two nights on the road.
45 miles of road through a swamp not crow flies

Well IF I had something like a BOB I have have a full size in it in a common caliber. (9mm)
Magazines I doubt you would need to source additional ones so I would not worry about... Glock
Chances are ammo at some point you would need to source more
And I assume you have carry something normally daily, like a compact, plus the bag. So you would have two firearms at least
If you carry everywhere you would only need ammo/magazines in the bag if you are worried about weight

Well IF I had something like a BOB I have have a full size in it in a common caliber. (9mm)
Magazines I doubt you would need to source additional ones so I would not worry about... Glock
Chances are ammo at some point you would need to source more
And I assume you have carry something normally daily, like a compact, plus the bag. So you would have two firearms at least
If you carry everywhere you would only need ammo/magazines in the bag if you are worried about weight
I'm not super worried about weight but if i have to pop some protein 9mm f**ks up squirrels

What about something like a Ruger LCR in 22lr or 22WMR lightweight, reliable and can sit in your BOB neglected forever without needing any maintenance.

I'm not a keltec fan but their sub 2k seems like a good bugout gun, folds in half & runs some Glock mags or the multi mag does some of the more popular pistol with the right mag catch
The spare socks are a good idea, I prefer the darn toughs since they're a hybrid wool. They can get wet & prevent blisters

Assume for some reason we're walking lol
45 miles of road through a swamp not crow flies
What “threats,” obstacles, etc do you expect to encounter on your trip home?

For example, I keep a folding pruning saw in my trunk in the event of a smaller downed tree blocking the road and a tire patch kit in the even I need to plug a hole and don’t want to stop to change the spare.

For short distances, your usual daily carry gun will be fine, and just add an extra magazine in your bag that you can throw in your pocket. But for a long slog, you may encounter several “threats” so an SR22 and 4-6 magazines and a brick of 500 rounds is the equivalent to a nest of angry hornets and enough to keep a small group at distance, even if not as lethal as other calibers. I think a Mark IV 22/45 is just as reliable (if not more so) but isn’t as concealable. A Ruger LCR in .22 make for a great lightweight backup pocket carry.

I like GU packets and chews and protein bars and one MRE or dehydrated meal for my calories. I find peanuts and beef jerky harder to digest and make me less popular company with those hiking behind me. Carbs and caffeine will fuel the endurance for miles like any marathon runner/cyclist, but eventually you’ll need easily digestible proteins that taste good — any caloric dense food (think power lifter recovery bars). Also you’ll need to rehydrate, so water purification tablets, and a single walled aluminum bottle and lighter so you can boil if needed for purification. I like the citrus flavored electrolyte drink mix.

Any gear you should get should be ultra light and durable since your purpose is to only get home (think AT thru hiking versus car camping). Emergency blanket or poncho. Avoid the $3 Mylar and upgrade for the $8-12 higher quality items.

Cordage to mend boot laces, make a hasty shelter, lash items to you pack, etc

I like the SWAT tourniquet because it can also be used as an improvised knee or ankle compression wrap.

Make sure you have maps to cover your entire route and a cheap compass.

so many things…

What “threats,” obstacles, etc do you expect to encounter on your trip home?

For example, I keep a folding pruning saw in my trunk in the event of a smaller downed tree blocking the road and a tire patch kit in the even I need to plug a hole and don’t want to stop to change the spare.

For short distances, your usual daily carry gun will be fine, and just add an extra magazine in your bag that you can throw in your pocket. But for a long slog, you may encounter several “threats” so an SR22 and 4-6 magazines and a brick of 500 rounds is the equivalent to a nest of angry hornets and enough to keep a small group at distance, even if not as lethal as other calibers. I think a Mark IV 22/45 is just as reliable (if not more so) but isn’t as concealable. A Ruger LCR in .22 make for a great lightweight backup pocket carry.

I like GU packets and chews and protein bars and one MRE or dehydrated meal for my calories. I find peanuts and beef jerky harder to digest and make me less popular company with those hiking behind me. Carbs and caffeine will fuel the endurance for miles like any marathon runner/cyclist, but eventually you’ll need easily digestible proteins that taste good — any caloric dense food (think power lifter recovery bars). Also you’ll need to rehydrate, so water purification tablets, and a single walled aluminum bottle and lighter so you can boil if needed for purification. I like the citrus flavored electrolyte drink mix.

Any gear you should get should be ultra light and durable since your purpose is to only get home (think AT thru hiking versus car camping). Emergency blanket or poncho. Avoid the $3 Mylar and upgrade for the $8-12 higher quality items.

Cordage to mend boot laces, make a hasty shelter, lash items to you pack, etc

I like the SWAT tourniquet because it can also be used as an improvised knee or ankle compression wrap.

Make sure you have maps to cover your entire route and a cheap compass.

so many things…
So I'm working through it maps are on order but won't be much help

Its 45 miles and 4 turns lol and if a zombie hoard is on that road I'm boned

Caffeine is on there as well i have a big addiction and it would be no fun to kick on a 50. Mile hike

Poncho is big down here and a tent

So general bug out bag info

I'm starting to build mine i have lots of shit in my house but if i got stuck at work that would be an awful walk through some fl swamp land so I'm building 2 essentially matching bags for my wife and i

I have knives food baby wipes screw drivers 9in pliers which are very useful if your not familiar water purification 1st aid kits sleeping bags markers flashlights chem lights para cord 5 min respirators gloves n95s fixed blade razor bug face nets

On order tents mirror some other stuff

I'm torn on the bug out gun situation

Thinking sr22 with 4 mags and 200 rounds

Could go lcp 22

Glock 42

Or pmr 30

And i roll with a cmr30 in my truck so that might go in mine but id like interoperability

This bag is to get home other wise id be rolling deep glock 17s ars and plate carriers
Can you explain how 9inch pliers are useful for water purification?

It's only 45 miles. Drinking straw, socks, mylar sleeping bag, flashlight, some sort of IFAK, and a couple of food bars. You could use a gallon ziplock freezer bag for all your items, and it would keep them dry. You don't need three days of food for that distance. A bug out bag shouldn't weigh 45 pounds, it should be just enough stuff in there to get you somewhere.

Edit: I'd only have some food bars for the old lady, in case she was with me. A few days without food won't kill you.

Urban/suburban civil unrest (aka riots) - sit tight in a barricaded building - move to one that isn’t a looting target. Get home in darkness. Wife should not rely on you getting home for safety - she needs a plan and a backup plan too.

Where is home? Rural location with low odds of rioter/looters walking/driving down the street? That’s an upside. But if trouble comes in force - 2+ vehicles or 3+ attackers - that’s a tactical problem. Unless you have a gaged long driveway and can see them coming, set up a camp in a nearby secluded woods area with eyes on darkened home.

Urban/suburban getting home is about speed and avoidance - opposing aims. Fastest way has most exposure, in general. Avoid hotspots and roving groups. You can’t shoot everyone in sight but letting potential threats get too close is a risk. Once spotted and you change direction, if they follow, they are a threat. Escape & evade before you fight.

Urban/suburban rioters will not all be armed but assume some are armed and willing to shoot or stomp you to death. Roving groups - assume all are armed - with more firepower than you can carry. Especially in Florida. Maybe a 6lb/26in Mossberg Shockwave or Remington TAC-14 20 gauge has a place in urban/suburban GH bags. Kel-Tec Sub2k with 30rd stick is 1/2lb lighter and 16in/30in folded/unfolded but requires deployment time if carried folded.

Rural/swamps - avoid contact. A short carbine rifle simply assures better accuracy at any distance if you choose to shoot. Pistol for short range and long gun for when avoid, escape and evade fails or are not options.

Not sure why you'd bother with a .22 of any kind in your Get Home Bag. Are you planning on eating squirrels and rabbits while you are walking home? That's the only reason I can think of, unless you have a suppressor and plan on sneak attacking your way home. A .22 in a bug out bag makes more sense for long term hunting or something. I have my father's old .22 revolver in my bug out bag. My get home bag, though, just has extra ammo for my EDC, since I already have my EDC with me. I don't double up on knives in it, because I have one with me already. Shelter, food, water, fire (though it shouldn't be necessary to get home), small first aid kit with attention to foot/blister care, extra socks. Get Home Bags don't need to be complicated. You can survive with nothing but water, for three days, if it comes to it. I don't put MREs or heavy food in them, emergency food ration bars and a water filter are enough for three days of life on the move. Don't overcomplicate a Get Home Bag, you need to keep moving, and that means keeping it light.

How about what bag to select? Right now I have a tacticool slingbag. Thinking of moving to a backpack. It also doubles as an "emergency" bag when on the road. So I try and keep snacks etc for the family in their etc.

Another piece e of serious advice… keep it under $100.. ive lost probably 3-4 bag due to theft from my vehicle… It’s also why I don’t leave my good jumper cables in my truck.

That why you dont want a gun in it either

My 2cm (not quite an INCH) kit includes 55 items, including a 9mm “survival rifle” and ammo. It does not include a carry piece or any other day-to-day items.

Back
Top Bottom