Combustion
Container
Cover
Compass
Cordage
Cutting tool
Candling (lighting)
The rest escapes me right now.
Also, I keep a survival manual (I think the one issued to the Rangers), some protein bars, a little medical, a hoodie and TP in mine. This is New England, where there's a dwelling every five miles or so, so it's not that super important to me. My truck rig (GUNZ!) on the other hand... Oh boy.
I think you missed a "C", Cat food and a cat.

Did we talk about Pry Bars yet? If you’re Bugging Out, why carry sh*t to sleep on the cold, hard, ground, when you could "let yourself in" to more comfortable quarters? On foot, it’s a bit heavy. But for a few days, you can hump it. Or the younger folks with you can 😉

In your vehicle, don’t skimp - it tucks nicely under the carpet in the back.

Amazon product ASIN B003LS4HZCView: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-55-122-FuBarForcible-Entry-Tool/dp/B003LS4HZC/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Halligan+Tool&qid=1611962928&sr=8-10

Did we talk about Pry Bars yet? If you’re Bugging Out, why carry sh*t to sleep on the cold, hard, ground, when you could "let yourself in" to more comfortable quarters? On foot, it’s a bit heavy. But for a few days, you can hump it. Or the younger folks with you can 😉

Amazon product ASIN B003LS4HZCView: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-55-122-FuBarForcible-Entry-Tool/dp/B003LS4HZC/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Halligan+Tool&qid=1611962928&sr=8-10
I have a pry bar in my van and a good pair of bolt cutters. But in my get home bag, I have a Becker BK2 Companion. It's about as good as a pry bar and weighs a lot less.

I just figured the operated uses his own, um, "pattern" to make it match.
In extreme situations, when you lack a proper stencil, you could use your own body parts.

Camo works best with several sizes, so a group of operators getting together with some spray paint can work. Remember, it is not gay if it is a tactical survival situation.

In extreme situations, when you lack a proper stencil, you could use your own body parts.

Camo works best with several sizes, so a group of operators getting together with some spray paint can work. Remember, it is not gay if it is a tactical survival situation.
Multidong? Pizzletarn? CockPAT?

This. There was a website where a guy who had been in New Orleans when that big hurricane hit (Katrina?) and people had to evacuate. He talked about the 60 second bug out and maybe a 30 minute bug out. Meaning you have 60 seconds to leave the house or 30 minutes, etc. Since this is the much more likely scenario - bugging out for localized disaster - he focused more on having things like all your contact numbers you would need (insurance, neighbors, personal contacts, repair people, etc). Making sure you have any absolutely necessary medicines for a few days until you can get refills/replacements. Being sure you have a way to charge your cell phone. Lots of stuff we usually take for granted. Maybe even have a PAPER MAP :eek: and mark out some routes and locations for hotel stays and phone numbers so you could book a room "on the run." Keeping cash on hand too. things like that.

ETA: FOUND IT! HURRICANE KATRINA
Does it have inckude the TV?

Can't go without a TV

Since bug out bags are for worse case scenarios, I figured I might need some camouflage. I added a change of clothes to my bag. Working on painting the bug out gun as well.

View attachment 525899
View attachment 525901
View attachment 525900
Back in the day when I was still serving, B Co got in a new First Sergeant who we swore was an escapee from a nuthouse.

This was a First Sergeant in a special operations infantry battalion, a very highly respected position. And this weirdo rode in on an old fashioned bicycle to the compound every single day and had one of those old oval shaped plastic Batman signs zip corded to his handlebars like a 12yr old.

Not weird enough? Once he arrived at Battalion each morning, he’d walk around the quad in his BDU pants, socks and a brown tshirt. Nothing else. Smoking a cigar and walking in circles. Every day he’d do this.

First it’s against policy to be anywhere outside of your building or even on the first floors of each barracks (Senior NCO and CO/XO office space) without being in a full proper uniform, but to be boot-less, shirt-less and cover-less (cover=patrol cap or beret depending on that days uniform) was unheard of outside, more so because there were always VIP’s coming and going to the BC’s office at HQ’s and this guy was like right outside their windows.

Still not weird enough? lol We get to the camo stuff you posted that prompted my memory. This guy, whenever we’d be getting ready to go to the field, would stand in his office completely naked, and using camo sticks to cover literally his entire body. No joke. From head to toe under his camouflage uniform, he’d be painted solid in greens, browns and blacks. lmao

When someone finally asked him “Hey First Sergeant, what the f*** with the camo?” He simply stated it’s in case his uniform rips, so the enemy can’t see him. 🤪🤷‍♂️😂

Then one day he just stopped showing up and a new First Sergeant was brought in. No idea what ever happened to the nut bag, where he came from or where he went. That guy was creepy crazy though.

I work from home, and would have plenty of advance notice of hurricane or other similar natural disaster. Not much to do to defend against a tornado. But otherwise, in almost every imaginable situation, I'll be bugging IN, not OUT. Have food, generator, fuel, and everything I'd need right here.

YMMV.

I only use depends when I'm operating in an operational area where I dont have access to a latrine.
"Latrine".
Sounds French.
the-word-is-terlet.jpg

Back in the day when I was still serving, B Co got in a new First Sergeant who we swore was an escapee from a nuthouse.
2922a934ba2e6492d1b829a1626db05a38f88d52.jpg

lol - I have one of those...

it was a free gift...

My bug-out box, which includes a first aid kit, food, rain ponchos, water filter, toilet paper, etc, also includes a bolt cutter. This box is intended to be put in the car without much thought and have the stuff my family needs to live out of the car for a few days.

If you need to cut a lock or cut through a chain link fence to save or provide for your family under difficult circumstances, its a good thing to have.

Since I bought it I've also found it to be a pretty useful tool to have around the house.

Last edited:
My bug-out box, ... also includes a bolt cutter. ... If you need to cut a lock or cut through a chain link fence to save or provide for your family under difficult circumstances, its a good thing to have.
Someplace in the garage I've got a ratty filthy dull old pair of Keys to the City
that I picked up at some hamfest. Because my last racing sailboat captain
keeps his own good pair aboard, lest he be forced to recreate this scene:

On the other hand, very close to the trunk of my car I've also got a yard sale used-once like-new
1000lb. come-along and two BNIB multi-thousand pound Harbor Freight tow straps.

They're not equivalent, but if I needed to misbehave on the run
I bet the latter system will deliver more than the bolt cutters.

Back
Top Bottom