bug out bag contents advice needed

Where are you bugging out too? Will it only take 72 hours to get there on foot? Still haven't gotten around to a full Bug Out Bag but have a decent little Get Home Bag in my car. Most of the key stuff people have mentioned but none of the larger stuff and less food.

I'm certainly not a pro and I'm here to learn. But I would start with what you think you will actually be doing. Then figure out what would help with that. Then add even more stuff so you're extra prepared. Then whittle it all down to a managable weight?

Last edited:
Some of us have lives outside of the woods. ;)

That's like saying, "If you can't program a website, what are you doing on the internet?" "If you don't have a million dollars saved for retirement by 50, just kill yourself." You aren't dealing with everyone who is you particular boat.

I concur.

BUT. . . . Iv'e been reading this series of books. Newish author. Fiction. I forget his name. Steven Konkoly or something. In this particular series - written 10 years ago - it's a pandemic and the main character's whole neighborhood goes to S-word. I got that.

Second book - asteroid hit. Whole east coast shut down. Gotta get somewhere else b/c their main area was too close to water and tsunami took it out. Suddenly, they need to move.

I found it interesting. Gonna rethink my strategies. What IF I had to move quickly? Would I be ready??? I think I'm gonna have a go bag set up in addition to the "get home" bags in each car.
Good books. Try the Going Home series also, for good Bug Out or Get Home bag stuff.

I'm not bugging out from home. I have everything here. I did put together a 'Get Home Bag' for myself to keep in my car and one for my wife to keep in her office in Boston. They were each different because of conditions. Mine being on the road. And my wife's was getting home from the 22nd floor of a building in Boston and likely finding no public transportation available.

A GHB is what makes sense for me too. I am not bugging out anywhere at this point. If I need to, I have bags and supplies I can cobble together. But for now, working only 1.25 miles from home, I don't really need more than a 5 or 10L sling bag if anything at all to get home.

Last edited:
I'm not bugging out from home. I have everything here. I did put together a 'Get Home Bag' for myself to keep in my car and one for my wife to keep in her office in Boston. They were each different because of conditions. Mine being on the road. And my wife's was getting home from the 22nd floor of a building in Boston and likely finding no public transportation available.
So she got rappelling equipment?

I believe sometimes folks think too much about BOBs in terms of some post apocalyptic situation where it’s TEOTWAWKI where you are walking through the wilderness to “salvation.” In reality, you have to have somewhere to go. Otherwise, stay home. Most issues that would require BO are localized. So what you should think about preparing for is...the sheriff knocks on your door and tells you that you have XX minutes to evacuate your home because of impending fire/hurricane/locusts/etc. Think about what are the most likely scenarios in your area? Are you ready to grab and go? You and your family will be away from home and possibly in a shelter for a while (if a hotel or relative is not available outside the danger zone). Your house may not be there when you get back. What is priceless to you? Think it through, and you can put together a pretty good bag/list.

Growing up in hurricane country, that is what we prepped for every spring. Bags packed with clothes, food and necessities for everyone for a few days. Documents and other priceless valuables centralized and ready to grab. Cash and bottled water on hand and cars always with at least 3/4 tank.

I believe sometimes folks think too much about BOBs in terms of some post apocalyptic situation where it’s TEOTWAWKI where you are walking through the wilderness to “salvation.” In reality, you have to have somewhere to go. Otherwise, stay home. Most issues that would require BO are localized. So what you should think about preparing for is...the sheriff knocks on your door and tells you that you have XX minutes to evacuate your home because of impending fire/hurricane/locusts/etc. Think about what are the most likely scenarios in your area? Are you ready to grab and go? You and your family will be away from home and possibly in a shelter for a while (if a hotel or relative is not available outside the danger zone). Your house may not be there when you get back. What is priceless to you? Think it through, and you can put together a pretty good bag/list.

Growing up in hurricane country, that is what we prepped for every spring. Bags packed with clothes, food and necessities for everyone for a few days. Documents and other priceless valuables centralized and ready to grab. Cash and bottled water on hand and cars always with at least 3/4 tank.

This is why I live where none of those things happen 🤣

Hurricane reaching me? Nope.

Tornado country? Nope and wouldn't matter since we don't have a tornado warning system to warn me in advance.

Forest fires? Nope

Big earthquakes? Nope

Locusts? Nope

Tsunamis? Nope

Did you really like the Going Home series? I thought it was pretty horrible. At least the writing and story narrative were so basic and contrived.
I enjoyed the first two quite a bit. I like that "getting home after a disaster" type story. After that, it's a bit much, but it has some good moments, and the narrator for the audiobooks makes it fun most of the time. I'm 100% on board with trashing Homeland Security, so that's fun. There's a character based on Alan Kay, one of the winners from Alone, who's pretty fun. The author has a group of instructors that he will take on the road to do firearms and tactical training for a price, though I can't say how good he is.

my wife's was getting home from the 22nd floor of a building in Boston
So she got rappelling equipment?
maxresdefault.jpg

Tsunamis? Nope
Cumbre Vieja, bay-bay.
300-foot-tsunami-northeast-coast-map.gif

I have a jar of that gingersnap peanut butter that you get at trader joes... I will probably be sick of it quick but it damn sure is about the most calorie dense shit you can pack for 72 hours... jamming you up while you are moving is probably a benefit... remember that MRE peanut butter? lol

already have a nice 511 covert 18 backpack which i am using to build a BOB. notice there are many ready made kits which contain enough items for 72 hr survival. many of them look cheap; does anyone know of the best ones
Classic prepping mistake - building a bag without a plan. You're putting the cart before the horse.

Take a step back and write a bug out plan first. What threats are you likely to face? How would you respond to those threats? What tools and supplies do you need to execute that response? Then build your bag.

As you'll notice, a lot of folks have a "bug out to the woods and live like Bear Grylls" plan. To each their own, but I think a bug out is more likely to look like evacuating to a motel or shelter in a high school gymnasium. As a result, my bag features things like a rechargable headlamp, cell phone charger and spare cash and skips the fire kit and fishing line. YRMV

I like this pack for a GHB, it’s light weight and stores a lot for its size. I keep the usual items in it, flashlight, bic lighter, spare gloves, eye protection, foam hearing protection, bazooka, etc. like many, I’m not planning to bug out to live off the land in a state park — I’m gonna get back to my local network of friends and family and supplies that I’ve maintained.

I keep a small portable folding saw in the trunk in the event of a downed tree limbs impeding travel — it won’t work for a 30” oak, but having something is better than nothing. I also keep some old road maps and a basic compass in the event I have to go on foot.

If I did have to ditch my car and go on foot, I want to be light and mobile and only carry the essentials. It fits a 6x8” pistol caliber rated soft armor panel in it, and a 5.11 Velcro holster that fits a compact-sized firearm (S&W M&P9C, Shield, etc.)

in my car I have a small cooler behind the seat with water and snacks for the kiddo, as well as a washed out large Gatorade bottle for an emergency urinal. In the trunk is a fleece sleeping blanket in the event the car breaks down, or we’re watching fireworks.

I bought my daughter and SiL two of these. They only need to get from Nashua, NH 20mi north to my house and are good hikers, but 72hr could get used up before/along the way. For a pre-made, it’s really good. I keep one in the car too, with my additions. As a well as a Montague Paratrooper Pro folding MTB.

This. There was a website where a guy who had been in New Orleans when that big hurricane hit (Katrina?) and people had to evacuate. He talked about the 60 second bug out and maybe a 30 minute bug out. Meaning you have 60 seconds to leave the house or 30 minutes, etc. Since this is the much more likely scenario - bugging out for localized disaster - he focused more on having things like all your contact numbers you would need (insurance, neighbors, personal contacts, repair people, etc). Making sure you have any absolutely necessary medicines for a few days until you can get refills/replacements. Being sure you have a way to charge your cell phone. Lots of stuff we usually take for granted. Maybe even have a PAPER MAP :eek: and mark out some routes and locations for hotel stays and phone numbers so you could book a room "on the run." Keeping cash on hand too. things like that.

ETA: FOUND IT! HURRICANE KATRINA

Sorry, I can't resist educating you neophytes!

In my bug out bag I'll have:

1 dozen Johnny Walker Red nips
1 box xtra large condoms
25 Slim Jims
6 Romeo & Julieta Churchill cigars
4 changes underwear (one/week/month)
3 socks
1 'nother dozen JWR nips
1 box large condoms (eyes were bigger than.....you know)
poncho ($1.99 from Disneyland in 1970s)
1 Penthouse magazine (also from the 70s)
1 box matches
1 qt gasoline
1 'nother box matches
for protection: 2 rape whistles and a rock
1 box medium condoms (my wife weighed in on this purchase)
1 fifth JWR

There is some good info here. And some not so good info. My thoughts:

1) avoid a tactical looking bag. I keep some of my stuff in one of my kids old LL Bean school backpacks. Its green and black, so although its low key, its not military looking. Its roughly 25L, more than big enough.
2) Remember the rule of 3s. 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3days without water, 3 weeks without food. So food should be low down on the priority list. Food is for mental and emotional comfort. Its not a necessity.
3) the tacticalop-secSopmodSOFmossad trauma kit is sexy and all. But how about you just square up a basic first aid kit first. I was at the range and burned myself. A guy nearby offered me his trauma kit. It had an israeli bandage, tourniquet, and bleedstop. But he didn't have any bacetracin or advil. Hah!!!
3) Make your own kit. Costco and Walmart are your friends here. I keep a down sleeping bag in my car, but not in my bag. the sleeping bag would be for if I had to spend the night in the car.

I have a kit that I use when I backpack that weighs about a pound. Its got among other things, 275 paracord, a cr2032 based headlamp, razor blade, advil, tylenol (advil and tylenol combined are very very effective) , hydrocortisone, lukatape, duct tape, esbit tablets, bic lighter, compass, water filter, kitchen garbage bag (rainwear and wind blocker), toilet paper.

My pack is a Superior Wilderness Designs custom pack. Its not cheap, but I use it daily as my day pack. When I go for a hike I empty all the "BOB" type stuff out of it into a small duffel in my trunk. When I'm done, the stuff goes back in.

Last edited:
Actually, in all seriousness, as bizarre as it sounds, a small jar of vaseline and some cotton balls can serve as a medical salve, as well as a fire starter.

Warm Vaseline in a vessel about one third to one half full on stove in pan of water on low. When fully liquid add cotton balls until vessel is full.

Store in a metal can like an old metal shoe polish or skool can.

Sorry, I can't resist educating you neophytes!

In my bug out bag I'll have:

1 dozen Johnny Walker Red nips
1 box xtra large condoms
25 Slim Jims
6 Romeo & Julieta Churchill cigars
4 changes underwear (one/week/month)
3 socks
1 'nother dozen JWR nips
1 box large condoms (eyes were bigger than.....you know)
poncho ($1.99 from Disneyland in 1970s)
1 Penthouse magazine (also from the 70s)
1 box matches
1 qt gasoline
1 'nother box matches
for protection: 2 rape whistles and a rock
1 box medium condoms (my wife weighed in on this purchase)
1 fifth JWR
Love it except I'd probably splurge for Black Label.

Oh and I keep the no name excedrin type pills for pain but with caffeine. Not sure if it's enough to keep you going but atleast it would help with withdrawal from your morning cup lol.

I had my oil changed & tires rotated a few weeks ago, guy told me they had to search for the lug key which I leave in the glove box. I was thinking oh shit, I left my range ammo can in the back (it’s an SUV). Guy says ”by the way, I’m a retired Marine - good job w/ your survival pack”. I keep a few emergency items in case I ever get stuck somewhere, first aid kit, tarp, thermal blankets, water purification tabs, fire starter, machete, couple of emergency biscuits, etc.).

Overall I’m more of a bug in than bug out kinda guy. If we ever have to evacuate for an impending disaster I have some stuff packed to toss in the car & take off with. Chargers & adapters, very important.

For my Run to Home bag I have a polymer type 3A Level Ballistic plate. It is very light weight and I hope to show trouble makers nothing but elbows and a$$H0le as I head for the wood line.

Saw some good suggestions, time to add some minor upgrades to my pack.

Back
Top Bottom